Why did my dilly bread come out with a big hole in the middle??? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Why did my dilly bread come out with a big hole in the middle???

Last post Jan 25, 2005 12:12 PM by TriainAtlanta . 8 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
  • Why did my dilly bread come out with a big hole in the middle???
    It was finally cool enough to cut, I was so hungry for a tuna sandwich on this stuff....
    I cut the top off, and there is about 2" of crust and then next to nothing.
    I had to cut about half the loaf before I could get a piece whole enough to make my sandwich out of. How come this happened?
    Bread machine did all the work, I didn't even lift the lid at all this time.
    By the way, the bread is great. Oh my gosh, it is so good, I could eat the whole loaf right now...
    KathyLu
    False
    "Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us." Marianne Williamson http://www.wherearethecows.webs.com/
  • RE: Why did my dilly bread come out with a big hole in the middle???
    Does that mean its only 1/2 the calories! LOL!

Here's a bump!
    False
    If I eat it standing up it has even less calories, but, you know, the tuna all over my hands sure made a mess. Oh, low cal eating.
    So, really, I am going to bump this to find out why that HUGE air bubble ended up in my bread. I thought I would buy more dill weed tonight to try it again, but I sure don't want another hole like that. If anybody can help me figure what I did wrong, I would appreciate it.
    KLC
    False
    "Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us." Marianne Williamson http://www.wherearethecows.webs.com/
    hi KathyLu,
    i was always told if that there were holes in the bread it was from over mixing and creating air pockets in the dough.
    BTW- i'll be making your poundcake recipe thursday. can't wait!
    hope that helps,
    Jodi
    False
    I've heard the same as Jodi, but believe me, I'm no expert! I wish I had the time to make bread!
    False
    hi again,
    i went to culinary school and thats what the Chefs always told us.(over mixing/air pockets)

i've always made my bread by hand or in the kitchen aid mixer, so i don't have a clue about the bread machine.
    have a great evening,
    Jodi
    False
    bump :)
    False
    neelycharmed,
    you are going to love that pound cake. It was so hard for me to share that recipe originally, it was my aunt's "secret" recipe, but, mom and I decided that now that my aunt is in the wonderful pound cake in the sky, she shouldn't care that the whole world enjoy her cake.

I used the lowest setting on the bread machine, so, it seems weird that it was overmixed, but, I am thinking that has to be the explaination. I will just have to try it again to see, hmmmm.
    Thanks for the answer.
    KathyLu
    False
    Kathy Lu - I am sorry that happened - but that is another reason I always take the dough out and bake it in the oven. You can shape - and punch a bit - making sure there are no "holes or empty spots" in the dough.

I hope some others will try it!
    Tria
    False
    Tria