What is the purpose for yeast in this chili recipe? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

What is the purpose for yeast in this chili recipe?

Last post Jan 24, 2005 5:06 PM by boeboe165 . 4 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
  • What is the purpose for yeast in this chili recipe?
    No-Gas Chili
    3 lbs.ground beef
    3-28oz. cans whole peeled tomatoes
    28 oz can tomato sauce
    2 large onions
    ½ cup red (or white) vinegar
    ¼ oz. rapid-rise yeast
    pinto beans
    chili seasoning

Wash and soak beans. In a pot large enough to cover beans with 4" water, add the beans, vinegar, and yeast. Soak overnight.
    Pour off liquid. Thoroughly rinse beans in cold water. Place beans in large pot and cover again with 4" water. Boil them for 45 minutes, or until tender.
    False
  • RE: What is the purpose for yeast in this chili recipe?
    Maybe the yeast turns the carbohydrates in the beans to some inert form that keeps them from making you gassy when you eat them? I don't know; I've never seen that before.
    False
    Add water as necessary to keep beans covered. Remove from heat, rinse with cold water and st aside.
    Brown 3 lbs. of ground beef. In a strainer, rinse the meat with hot water and set aside.
    In a large kettle (8 qts), add the 3 cans of whole peeled tomatoes (dice or use food processor for a short time), the tomato sauce, beans, meat, chopped onions and seasoning and mushrooms. Let the mix simmer about one hour.
    False
    MissEllie, That's what I was thinking, too. I've never seen yeast in chili recipes before, either.
    False
    Gotta be to take the poot out. Baking soda does the same. I sometimes do that to my pinto beans when we have company. You have to be careful when you add the baking soda because it can cause the beans to foam over. You also can not add to much because it will leave a baking soda taste.

Hope this helps,

Boe
    False