Would you leave peach cobbler out on the counter overnight? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Would you leave peach cobbler out on the counter overnight?

Last post Jan 26, 2005 10:43 PM by sugarbug . 18 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 12
  • Would you leave peach cobbler out on the counter overnight?
    It is still slightly warm and I think it would be ok on the counter overnight. What do you think?
    False
  • RE: Would you leave peach cobbler out on the counter overnight?
    I think it would be fine. I always leave my apple pie on the counter. Jane
    False
    I'd refrigerate it. Better to be safe.
    False
    It will be fine.
    False
    Unless your kitchen is cold, I would put it in the refrigerator. I don't leave any previously canned fruit out on a counter overnight.

Fratz
    False
    Hi buttergirl!

I would refrigerate it...I don't like taking chances with food. Was it good? Can you post the recipe? Please.....Thanks a bunch!!!

((bughugs))

Dee
    False
    I would not refrigerate - wouldn't last long enough at my house to make it to frig.
    False
    Fruit pies and cobblers generally do not contain traditional perishable ingredients, such as dairy. They have high sugar content, which actually retards bacterial growth. Mold is another matter. If you do not have high humidity where you live, cobbler should be fine for a couple of days before the mold sets in. Here is a website to learn about storage. http://www.favoritebrandrecipes.com/ECguide/ECGhtml/80300.htm
    False
    Awww shoot! Just get a tub of Blue Bell and eat it all right now! lol
    False

lol @ MM -- I'd go with her advice :)
    False

Photobucket

LOL at you Maddymoo! Good idea! Shall we all join in for a bite?

*smile*

Dee
    False
    Here's the recipe. To me, the dairy that is in it is no different than dairy added to baked goods such as cakes and cookies. Those are left at room temp. High moisture products with dairy, such as custard pies, would be a concern at room temp. Not bread/cake products. Bacteria doesn't generally attack breads and cakes--it's mold. When in doubt, refrigeration is always best, though.

~~~Easy Peach Cobbler~~~
    Recipe from Gooseberry patch

16-oz. can sliced
    peaches, undrained
    1 c. all-purpose flour
    1-1/4 c. sugar, divided
    1 c. milk
    2 t. baking powder
    1/8 t. salt
    1/2 c. butter

In a medium saucepan, over medium heat, cook peaches until boiling. In a medium bowl, mix flour, one cup sugar, milk, baking powder and salt. In a 2-quart casserole dish, melt butter. Pour batter over butter. Add peaches; do not stir. Sprinkle remaining sugar over entire casserole. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 to 30 minutes. Serve with ice cream or whipped cream. Makes 6 servings.

False
    I've never refrigerated my cobblers or fruit pies and usually put those difficult to cover in the microwave or oven overnight.With just 2 of us now they tend to last several days. Pat
    False
    I leave stuff out on the counter for DAYS. With baked goods, unless they are something that needs to be served cold, like cheesecake, I leave them out. Nothing in them to breed the bad stuff, like salmonella. I agree, though, when they start to mold, time to throw away! I even eat leftover pizza (with meat) when it has accidentally been left out. So far, no problems. Knock on wood. However, this is my personal practice. Never hurts to refrigerate!
    False
    Emily
    Thanks so much for all of the replys and thanks to moms rule OH for posting the recipe. I turn my heater way down at night in that (the kitchen area) area of our home and have to say that the night before last when I made the cobbler that it was still warm when I went to bed, and that I left it out on the counter. I ate some yesterday and am feeling fine today. I guess I ought to start putting things like that into the fridge, although, I never put fruit pies in the fridge and my mom never does either, and we have never gotten sick over the years. Thanks so much for all of your replys. I LOVE this board!!!
    False