Help...need menu ideas for church banquet | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Help...need menu ideas for church banquet

Last post Feb 01, 2005 4:49 PM by PepperOH . 22 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 12
  • Help...need menu ideas for church banquet
    I've volunteered to be over the menu at our church's upcoming event, "Honey, are you ready?" This is a marriage enrichment banquet a month from now! The tickets are $10.00 a couple, so, there is a limited ammount of funds to work with. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Also, i have to come up with a game to help the couples get aquainted with oneanother as they arrive. If anyone would like to join us this is going to be in the Dayton/Cincinnati area. Thanks again!!
    False
  • RE: Help...need menu ideas for church banquet
    We do a Valentine's banquet at our church every year and we serve Spaghetti,Salad,French bread and dessert,ice tea are coffee and it goes over very well.Are you could make lasagna.

Can't help you with the games.Not to good at that.

~Cubbybear~
    False
    In loving memory of Suzy
    if u can get a good roast on sale u could do a roast beef dinner
    i can do it for about $5 per plate
    for salad buns
    meat
    potatoes
    2 veg
    and dessert

u don't say if u are doing all the cooking yourself i do the church dinners all the time so if u need info i will be happy to help u ....
    False
    Truffles
    I agree, Spaghetti would probably best idea on limited funds, especially if you can get ingredients at Sam's or Costco or someplace similar.

Another idea would be a taco bar, it just involves a lot of chop-chop-chopping of the fillings. Do you have anyone helping you? You could always delegate.
    False
    I forgot to mention this is supposed to be a formal banquet for around 100 people total. Thanks so much for your respones, will keep this bumped up for more input. All of your suggestions sound great!
    False
    Oh! Yes!! I will be able to delegate.
    False
    We do chicken and dumplings (the rolled flat kind) when we want to save money. People love them and chicken leg quarters can be found on sale for 29 or 29 cents a pound.

One game to get acquainted is to make up a paper similar to a Bingo card but have Blue Eyes, Shiny Bracelet, Plaid Shirt, etc. written on each square. People have fun getting acquainted as the go around finding who has blue eyes, plaid shirt, etc. They write the name of this person in the square and a prize can be given for the first one getting a line (or not, it's the fun doing it that counts). It is also something people can do as others are still coming and as you are getting dinner prepared. Kind of a milling around game.
    False
    whooops, the chicken can be found on sale for 29 or 39 cents.

We also serve slaw, green beans, rolls and dessert with the dumplings.
    False
    Chicken would be great for a sit down dinner. You can find lots of great recipes on here for over-baked chicken pieces or breasts. My mom used to make a home-made shake and bake recipe that was wonderful.

Great served with flavored mashed potatoes or duchess potatoes, green beans or asparagus, or any other great veggie side dishes and salads.

Top with a great dessert. There is one called Lemon Luscious that has a shortbread type base, layer of cream cheese mixture, layer of lemon pudding and whipped cream on top.

GOod luck with your planning.
    False
    bump
    False
    Basic Baked Swiss Steak
    serves 100
    preheat oven to 350°

32 pounds round steak, boneless, trimmed
    1 pound (4 cups) all-purpose flour mixed with
    2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
    3 cups vegetable oil or 1 1/2 pounds fat
    4 pounds onion, peeled and sliced into rings
    2 pounds celery, (about 3 heads) coarsely chopped
    4 pounds bell peppers, seeded and cut in rings or strips 6 pounds 9 ounces tomato puree (a No. 10 can)
    2 gallons beef stock
    1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
    5 tablespoons salt
    2 teaspoons pepper

Cut round steaks into 100 servings. Dip in seasoned flour and brown in the fat. Saute onions, bell peppers and celery in fat.

Layer the meat and vegetables in the baking pan. Combine other ingredients and pour over steak pieces. Bake covered at 350 degrees F oven for 3 hours, check tenderness. Uncover to thicken sauce. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
    Note: For a slightly thinner, more chunky sauce, substitute 4 #10 cans of diced tomatoes in puree for the mixed tomato puree and the beef broth.
    False
    Sence it's a formal dinner what about doing Cornish Game hens with wild rice stuffing. You probable could split one hen for 2. Add a vegetable, rolls, Salad, Desert.
    Check at Sam's club or Costco or even if there is a restaurant supply store aroung. If you are buying the hens in quanity you can usually get a better deal.
    In fact if you have a friend in the restaurant business you might check with them about ordering through the restaurant. I was in the rest. business for 40 years and use to do it a lot.

Toni
    False
    I can't help you with the menu, but I have a suggestion for a game.

Once at a Valentine's Day banquet at our Church, we played a version of the "Newlywed Game" and it was very funny to see what people who had been married 30 years or longer knew about their spouses.

We made up our own questions of course, and I think a small inexpensive gift was given to the winners.

I hope your dinner turns out really successful, and I'm sure whatever you come up with for the menu will be just fine.

Margaret
    False

If your spirit is grateful and humble / your tongue won't constantly grumble.
    Check out this web site and you will find a lot of ideas as well as recipes.

www.mtsbc.org/home_cooking_for_a_crowd_by_jane_mcbee.htm
    False
    Maybe you should address this one to Churchchef. She cooks for ALOT of people in her church. I believe she recently had a post for which she cooked for so many at a reasonable price.
    False

A room without books is like a body without a soul. - Cicero