Is lard the same thing as shortening? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Is lard the same thing as shortening?

Last post Aug 11, 2012 3:09 PM by Alliea . 10 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
  • Is lard the same thing as shortening?
    I have lard but my recipe calls for shotening.
    False
  • RE: Is lard the same thing as shortening?
    Lard will be fine to use. It is a health concern for most because lard is made from pork fat. I use lard when making biscuits.
    False
    The difference is what they're made from. As homestyle said, lard is made from pork fat. Shortening is hydrogenated vegetable oil.
    False
    Thank you both
    False
    h)
    False
    You need to make sure you aren't getting hydrogenated lard, which is as bad a hydrogenated fat, like shortening. If it's found in the green box and shelf-stable, chances are it's hydrogenated.

I get lard from a local meat processing plant and keep it in the freezer for those infrequent times I need it (special recipes that just aren't the same without it).

Lard has a larger fat crystal than shortening and that is one of the "secrets" when it comes to pie crust made with lard.

False
    They will serve the same purpose in baking but there is the calories, cholesterol and what not to consider. Actually shortening is better for you but I think lard makes a baked item more flavourful. Marlene
    False
    Shortening is made with hydrogenated oils, as is store-bought lard and many margarines, all of which are now suspected of causing all types of health problems.

Manufacturers of products using hydrogenated and partially hydrogenated oils are falling over themselves to eliminate trans-fats from there products before they're forced to do so by the government. It's a good idea to look for a note on the label of any product that contains oil that says "no-trans-fats". Otherwise, read the ingredient panel to see if it contains hydogenated oils.

Natural lard, rendered at home from fresh pork fat, (or beef suet from beef fat),is healthier than any product containing trans-fats.

And they taste better.
    False
    I don't use lard and have only used regular shortening very sparingly as these are both bad for you, like everyone has said.
    However, I bought a new product, Smart Balance trans fat free shortening in the grocery store. I haven't tried it yet on baking. Has anyone tried this? How good is it in baking cookies,cakes or pie crusts?? I sure would appreciate everyone's imput.

Lou
    False
  • Re: Is lard the same thing as shortening?

I actually have shortening not lard do you use it differently.  Does anybody know because I'm suppose to make 100  cookies w/ vegetable lard.

False
  • Re: Is lard the same thing as shortening?

Patches1966
    I actually have shortening not lard do you use it differently.  Does anybody know because I'm suppose to make 100  cookies w/ vegetable lard.

http://allrecipes.com/howto/common-ingredient-substitutions/

False

Susan-Serving as a Taste Of Home Field Editor since 2009