What can you do with summer sausage? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

What can you do with summer sausage?

Last post Feb 04, 2005 1:59 PM by gaudrey_GA . 13 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
  • What can you do with summer sausage?
    My DH likes summer sausage but I don't care for it. Someone gave him a small one for Christmas that he hasn't opened yet. He said he would liek to do somehting with it other than just slicing and eating it as usual on rye bread or crackers. Any ideas?
    False
  • RE: What can you do with summer sausage?
    Oops. Should have said "like" not liek.
    False
    We like to slice it thin and fry in a pan sprayed with cooking oil, and we use it for our breakfast meat. I also like to fry it and put it on toasted bread, with mustard, and some lettuce. Sounds weird, but that's they way I like it, I like it. Gail
    False
    Thanks, Gail. I may do that for him in the morning.
    False
    I add it to salads along with cheese.
    False
    Click for Red House, West Virginia Forecast Bailey
    He likes Chef's Salad so that is a possibility.
    False
    Dh loves pizza, but I don't fix it very often. He also likes creamed beef on toast so that's a possibility. Thanks.
    False
    You could make a cold pasta salad. I just use zesty Italian dressing for the dressing, add the sausage, chuncks of cheese, finely chopped red pepper, bow tie pasta, and any other vegetables like brocoli, peas, corn. I also add roma tomatoes to mine. Depends on what your DH prefers.
    False
    It's great baked with sauerkraut. Or slice, cover with BBQ sauce, or brown sugar, or dijon mustard and baked at 375 degrees for about 20-30 minutes till glazed.
    False
    I slice it thin heat it in skillet then add sweet and sour sauce simmer for a little bit and serve over rice. We serve it this way a lot, everyone loves it.
    False
    I buy summer sausage from Schwan's, but we just serve it on crackers with cheese. My Schwan guy says that his wife makes sandwiches with it, but I haven't tried it yet. I think it would be good in a pasta salad.
    False
    How about browning some summer sausage (optional) and adding it to casseroles, such as scalloped potatoes, hash brown casserole, etc.
    False

Thanks for all these great ideas. I'll be trying some of them soon. I love the idea of the sauerkraut, but DH hates sauerkraut. I steam hot dogs in beer and sauerkraut in sherry. Then put it in buns with mustard and onions similar to the old Lum's way. Yummy, but DH won't eat that. I do it when our kids come 'cause they take after me in the food department.
    False