I need HELP!!....I can't make good scalloped potatoes!!! | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

I need HELP!!....I can't make good scalloped potatoes!!!

Last post Mar 20, 2011 11:52 AM by zakons . 56 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 4 (57 items) 1234
  • I need HELP!!....I can't make good scalloped potatoes!!!
    Can any of you great cooks out there help me out? Its DH's favorite way to have potatoes & it would be great to surprise him!!

Would you share any tip, tricks or recipes to make a great scalloped potate?....Please!!
    False
  • RE: I need HELP!!....I can't make good scalloped potatoes!!!
    Scalloped Potatoes
    3 tablespoons butter
    2 tablespoons all purpose flour
    1-1/2 teaspoons salt
    1/8 teaspoon pepper
    3 cups milk
    6 medium (6-cups) potatoes, pared and thinly sliced
    2 tablespoon onion, chopped
    Preheat the oven to 350-degrees. In a saucepan, melt the butter, stir in the flour, and cook until bubbly, stirring constantly. Gradually stir in the milk. Cook until the sauce thickens (shredded cheese may be added to sauce). Place half of the potatoes in a greased 2-quart casserole dish, add half of the onion and half of the sauce. Repeat the layers. Cover and bake for 1 hour, then uncover and bake for an additional 30 minutes.

False
    In loving memory of Suzy
    Here is how I do them, but it is not a set recipe,
    I take about 5 or 6 potatoes and peel, chop up some onion, as much as you desire. I make a white sauce using about a third stick of butter and add about 1/3 C. flour and some salt and pepper, then instead of milk I use a can of chicken broth, I usually have just a little left, while this is cooking I add 2-3 heaping tablespoons of sour cream and then add a small amount of velveeta cheese. Then slice the potatoes and I layer this three times ending in the sauce. You can cook these in the microwave for about 5 minutes then transfer to oven to finish cooking if you don't have a lot of time. Hope this helps. They always turn out good.
    Debbie
    False
    I've made these for years and they are our favorite. Easy too.

Scalloped Potatoes

3 T. Margarine
    Microwave at High for 50 Seconds)
    2 T/ flour
    1 1/2 tsp. salt
    1/8 tsp. pepper
    Blend in with margarine & microwave at high 30 sec.

Add 3 cups milk-Blend in and microwave for 6 min. stirring 3 times

Slice 6-8 medium potatoes
    Add 1/2 cup diced onion & 1 cup cracker crumbs.

Place in 9x13 pan.
    Pour milk mixture over and top with bacon slices.

Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. Uncover and bake 30 minutes longer.

False

"Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book." ~Author Unknown

Scalloped Potatoes

Make this recipe completely in the microwave oven or the more conventional method on stovetop and in a regular oven.
    3 tbsp (45ml) butter or margarine, melted in 1 quart (1 litre) jug in microwave for 30 seconds, or heated in pan on stovetop

2 tbsp (30ml) flour
    1 tsp (5ml) salt
    1/4 tsp (1.25ml) ground black pepper

2 cups (500ml) milk
    1 onion, sliced and separated into rings
    4 - 5 medium-large new potatoes sliced very thinly

Blend flour and seasonings into melted butter, then gradually stir in milk and return to microwave or stovetop.
    In microwave, cook on high for about 7 minutes, stopping every three minutes or so to stir - avoid boiling over and do not allow to become too thick. On stovetop heat over medium-high heat and stir constantly with a whisk until thickened.
    Layer onions and potatoes in large casserole to half total amount.
    Pour half of sauce on top and continue to layer remaining onions and potatoes. Add remaining sauce.
    Bake in conventional oven at 350°F or 180°C for approximately one hour until browned and potatoes are tender.
    Alternately, microwave on high, covered for at least 20 minutes until potato is cooked and top starts to brown. (time varies with model of microwave) Allow to stand for 10 minutes before serving.

False
    In loving memory of Suzy
    I know this isn't really scallopped potatoes but I melt cheese in my white sauce. That's probably closer to au'gratin.
    False
    Subject: REC~~~Scalloped Potato Recipe~~~ for DorothyR_in_Malibu
    Posted by: dutchmom4 Replies: 5 Posted on: 2/4/2005 2:36:25 PM
    #T472077

Here is the recipe:
    Several years ago, I was given this easy hint for scalloped potatoes. They are so creamy and everyone wants to sample the crispy, brown top. This recipe is adaptable for whatever size casserole dish. (This may have been posted here before.)

EASY SCALLOPED POTATOES
    Potatoes
    Salt and Pepper
    Dry minced onion OR fresh minced onion
    Heavy cream OR heavy cream

Layer potatoes on the bottom of casserole dish. Salt and pepper. Sprinkle with onion.
    Repeat layers. Until dish is approximately 2/3 to 3/4 full.
    Pour cream around sides of potatoes~~~about ½ to 1-inch to the top of potatoes.
    Dot with butter OR margarine, if desired. Salt and pepper.
    Bake covered at 325 to 350 degrees for 30-45 minutes, OR until bubbly around the sides.
    Remove cover. Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.

*I have not tried it with fat-free cream or half-and-half, but I plan to do it soon.
    False

These are the best scalloped potatoes I have ever had. I think they were from a TOH about a year ago (maybe Dec/Jan 04). I swear, they are really easy and yummy. There are never any left when I make them. I also like that I always have everything available to make them (no strange or unusual ingredients).

Homestyle Scalloped Potatoes

1/3 c. chopped onion
    5 T. butter (I like to use real butter)
    5 T. all-purpose flour
    1 1/4 t. salt
    1/2 t. black pepper
    5 c. milk
    6 c. thinly sliced potatoes

In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in flour,
    salt, and pepper until blended. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil;
    cook and stir for two minutes or until sauce is thickened. Place half of potatoes in a greased 3 qt. baking dish. Pour half of sauce over potatoes. Repeat layers. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 60-70 minutes or until potatoes are tender and top is lightly browned. Serve immediately
    False

Faith is not demanding what we want; it is trusting God's goodness in spite of life's tragedies. Dave Branon

These are so easy & very delicious. You can make them without the ham.

Scalloped Potatoes and Ham

8 to 10 potatoes, sliced
    2 cups ham, cubed
    1 onion, diced
    2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
    1 (10 ¾ oz.) can cream of mushroom soup

Layer one ingredient at a time, starting with potatoes, ham, onion and cheese in a 5 quart slow cooker. When done layering, pour soup over all; do not mix. Cook on high for 5 hours, or on low 8 to 10 hours. Makes 6 to 8 servings.
    False
    I just slice them thin - uncooked - usually in my Cuisinart - and grease a large 9 x 13 glass (usually) dish. I start with a layer of potatoes, dot them with butter slices - sprinkle salt, freshly ground pepper, paprika and about a tablespoon (heaping) of plain flour- sprinkled over each layer of potatoes. I have a little measuring cup gadget with holes - like a sieve that I use to "sprinkle".
    Start over with the potatoes - and the same ingredients. I usually have 3 layers of potatoes and finish with the flour, butter, salt, pepper and paprika. Then I pour milk into the dish to cover the potatoes. Bake at 375 degrees (preheated) until the potatoes are done and the top is golden brown. Watch while it is baking that it doesn't get dry or too brown before the potatoes are done. If they do - add more milk and/or cover with foil. You can start by covering with foil and uncover at the last. It will take about 90 minutes - maybe more - maybe less, depending on the thickness of your slices and your oven. You can also use a smaller casserole - or deeper one and just do it the same way.
    Sorry I don't have more precise ingredients and times but I have been making them like this for years and everyone that eats them -raves. It is one of my families' favorite dishes. You can add cheese, of course - but then that makes it an "au gratin" dish and they prefer it plain. They are also good left over - if we are lucky enough to have any - and reheated in the microwave. Don't fill the dish too full - but if it is and you are worried - put a cookie sheet on the bottom rack in your oven - lined with foil.
    Enjoy!
    Tria
    False
    Tria
    Regardless of which recipe you choose, replace all or half of the milk with half and half. Makes a difference.
    Elizabeth
    False
    I am ashamed to say that I use the mix - even the cheap mix from Aldi's works. The difference is that I cook it on top of the stove. Melt the butter - add water and the cheese sauce - stir well and then add the potatoes. Cook over low to medium heat until done (usually 20 minutes) but if I want to stretch it I cook on real low and can go til 40 minutes. I use a great teflon pan that doesn't stick. My husband loves them and no one has ever noticed that they aren't as good as homemade.
    Janetplanet
    False
    bump for later
    False
    I do mine in the microwave. I grease a 1.5 qt corning ware dish, slice my potatoes as I go...make a layer of potatoes, sprinkle with S&P and some flour, another layer of taters, etc until I get almost to the top of dish. Then I pour my milk (I only use skim) around the sides and middle to about 2/3 full. Microwave it until done (sorry can't remember how long) and it's delish!!!

cilla/NW FL
    False

cilla / NW FL               

oh, I dot the top with pats of margarine...forgot!! I need to make some soon!!!

cilla/NW FL
    False

cilla / NW FL