What do you put in the water to keep egg shells from sticking to boiled eggs? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

What do you put in the water to keep egg shells from sticking to boiled eggs?

Last post Feb 14, 2005 8:39 PM by CathyLewNC . 17 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 12
  • What do you put in the water to keep egg shells from sticking to boiled eggs?
    I know it's salt, but I can't remember how much, I put a little in the other day with no luck, and good ideas are welcomed! Thanks, Vicki
    False

Vicki aka waitressno119_IL

• RE: What do you put in the water to keep egg shells from sticking to boiled eggs?
    I just use older eggs, never have added anything to the water.
    False
  • RE: What do you put in the water to keep egg shells from sticking to boiled eggs?
    Hi Vicki - I don't add anything to my water but as soon as the eggs are done, I cool them down with cold running water until they are just cool enough that I can handle them. Then I let them cool the rest of the way without their shell. I rarely have problems with shells sticking.
    False
    I never add anything to the water. I start out with cold water. Let it boil. Then drain then put cold water in and shake the pan several times(it's a trick I learned from someone on the board about shaking the pan several times..when there was talk before about boiling eggs). Then crack and peel.
    False
    All my eggs are fresh, my chickens lay about 2 dozen a day! I keep the neighbors in eggs!
    False

I have never heard of anything to help this problem. The fresher the eggs, the more the shell will stick. Use older eggs and this won't happen.
    False
    Vicki-We have our own chickens too. Fresh eggs never boil well at all. The shell always sticks. Wait till they are a few days old.
    Zora
    False

On the beautiful Alabama Gulf Coast!

A trick I do and it always works is when the eggs are cooked immediately pour hot water out and run cold water in pan, crack the shell good on both ends, put eggs back in cold water with ice cubes for about 10 minutes. Start peeling from the egg's end using the side of your thumb. This is a hint that Julia Child gave :))
    False
    This was on a website and it said it's a technique for fresh eggs.

Place eggs and cold water in a pot (be sure to cover eggs with at least 1/2" of water). Bring to boil, then turn heat down to simmer immediately if you have a gas stove For large eggs, simmer for 6 minutes, then using a knife handle, break all the shells in several places. Finish simmering for an additional 9 minutes. When finished cooking, run COLD water into the pot and let eggs cool (I even add some ice, to speed up the cooling - I'm always in a hurry).

I really hope this helps.

The only thing that I do personally is let the eggs cool completely (by letting them cool in a pan of water) before I start to peel them but it seems that I still have some "sticky" shells.
    False
    Thanks all, I know I read something about salt in TOH or QC and it had to do with salt. I tried it once and it worked well, I will use my oldest ones first I'm sure, I wanted to make a big batch of egg salad to bring sandwiches for the lenten luncheon at church Wednesday.
    False

I always add salt to the water a table spoon or two should do it. It helps with the peeling(older eggs do help). The salt is also supposed to keep the whites from leaking out if the egg cracks while boiling.

Frankie
    False
    I put vinegar in the water to keep the whites from leaking out of eggs that crack.

Jenni
    False
    Okay, the only way I boil eggs now is a method that I learned off this BB.

Cover eggs with cold water, and bring to a full rolling boil. Immediately remove eggs from the heat, cover with a lid, and let sit for 10 minutes.

Then, drain off water, cover with cold water till eggs are cool. Peel as usual.

I was indeed a skeptic till I tried this, and lo and behold, it works! Eggs are perfectly cooked and come out great!
    False
    Our own Lindachicken posted the following last year. It's the only way I do it now:

Subject: Perfect Hard Boiled Eggs
    Posted by: lindachicken__Oklahoma Replies: 9 Posted on: 8/19/2004 4:31:08 AM
    #T399764
    Perfect Hard Boiled Eggs

Check date on egg carton at store. Some stores overstock eggs and
    sell aging eggs until gone. If you don't use them right away they are
    impossible to peel.

Place eggs in large pot and completely cover with water. If they
    float, they are passed their prime.

Put a spoonful of vinegar and a dash of salt in the water before placing on stove.

Place eggs in cold water. Place pot on stove. Bring to a hard boil. Immediately remove from heat: cover; let stand 15 minutes;peel immediately. Hold under cold running water briefly to allow shell &
    membrane to cool slightly to make manageable. Crack shell on side of
    sink. Make sure you have the membrane attached to the shell you are pulling off.

My DD's love my hard boiled eggs and they are so easy to fix, I typed this up as a guide for them and thought I'd put it here as well, hope you can use it or add some more tips :)

~~LindaChicken
    False
    Oops! Chickenheart beat me to it! I guess the saying is true..."Great minds think alike." lol
    False