ISO:HOMEMADE MAPLE AND BROWN SUGAR OATMEAL... | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

ISO:HOMEMADE MAPLE AND BROWN SUGAR OATMEAL...

Last post Feb 21, 2005 11:05 AM by Rochester . 7 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
  • ISO:HOMEMADE MAPLE AND BROWN SUGAR OATMEAL...
    I love maple and brown sugar oatmeal. The problem is, the kind that comes in a box-there are so many packets of it, that I end up throwing half of it out cause there is so much of it to eat.
    Is there any possibility to make it homemade? It would be much more economical. If so, could you please post a copy of the recipe? Thanks!

Aims62
    False
  • RE: ISO:HOMEMADE MAPLE AND BROWN SUGAR OATMEAL...
    Aims why would you throw any out? Those packets last a really long time and you only have to make 1 packet at time.... guess I don't get that.

However! How about if you put all the packets into a large baggy and keep it in the freezer and only scoop out 1/2 cup at a time and add your water just as if you were making 1 small packet. Or just put all the little bags in the freezer and use them as needed. They'll keep forever in the freezer and not go stale.

I'd hate to see anything go to waste! :)

PS:
    I have the Apple Cinnamon recipe here somewhere, but I don't know if I have the maple brown sugar one. I'm sure it's on google though! :)
    False
    Merritt what a wonderful idea thanks for sharing that. I'll do that with all my "leftover" packets.

Barb
    False
    Why don't you just cook regular oatmeal and then add brown sugar and maple syrup to taste. I add maple syrup, flaxseeds, cinnamon and little soy milk to my oatmeal.

Hope this helps, You really don't need a recipe, just experiment.

~Muril~
    False
    Aims I make my own flavored oatmeal alot of a morning because the single packet flavored ones, the sugar content they have in them for me doesn't work to well. I just take a small bowl:

add:
    4-5 heaping tsps of quick cooking oats
    add water, about 1/2 cup or so, depending on how thick you want it, or thin, I prefer mine thinner.
    I nuke in the microwave for a min. and stir, nuke some more, watch carefully as it will run over if the bowl isn't deep enough
    Sugar free maple syrup is what I add, and Saigon cinnamon, 1/8-1/4 tsp depending on your taste, or leave it out. I then add one packet of Splenda, and butter.
    Sometimes I add a tsp or tbsp of raisins and nuke with the oatmeal, or chop some fresh apple. Any kind of variation like that works. Just an idea for you to maybe try. I put brown sugar in my husbands when he is home as he can eat the sugar. Have a good weekend. Connie
    False
    Thanks for the help provided with this request. Meritt, thanks for the search engine idea you implied; I never thought to try looking for it in Google, I'll keep that in mind. Csharris, thanks for your idea. I'll keep it in mind; don't know if I'm going to try it yet though.

Aims62
    False
    I think I saw a recipe in QC for a mix to use in making this. Will see if I can find it.
    False
    Photobucket
    This is from the Jan/Feb 2003 issue of Quick Cooking.

OATMEAL SPICE MIX
    "My daughters love packaged oatmeal flavored with maple and brown sugar," explains Marcy Waldrop from Pasadena, Texas. "But because that oatmeal can be expensive, I created my own spice mix for oatmeal. The girls think it tastes better than the store-bought variety."
    1/2 cup powdered nondairy creamer
    1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
    1/3 cup packed brown sugar
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
    1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS (for each batch):
    2/3 cup quick-cooking oats
    1/3 to 1/2 cup boiling water
    Brown sugar, optional
    In a bowl, combine the first seven ingredients; mix well.
    Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place for up to 6 months.
    Yield: 9 batches (about 1 cup total).
    To prepare oatmeal: In a bowl, combine oats and 2 tablespoons oatmeal spice mix. Add enough boiling water until oatmeal is desired consistency. Sprinkle with brown sugar if desired. Yield: 1 serving.
    False
    Photobucket