OT ?- How to remove tub appliques | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

OT ?- How to remove tub appliques

Last post Feb 19, 2005 6:08 PM by caseygirl . 10 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
  • OT ?- How to remove tub appliques
    We are trying to make our old bathtub look a bit better. We are removing and replacing the yucky caulking. I would also like to remove the ancient non-slip appliques that ever so slowly peeling off :) I know Heloise has had a hint for this but of course now that I want to use it I can't remember what to use!
    Thanks in advance for your advice.
    False
    Photobucket
  • RE: OT ?- How to remove tub appliques
    Sorry I do not know the answer, but I would love to know where to find the appliques. The only ones I have been able to find were at Bed, Bath and Beyond and were rather pricey. I really need them for my tub, as I have my Mom and am so afraid she will slip and fall getting in and out of the tub. Good luck to finding the answer to your question!
    BonBon
    False
    Well,
    I found this suggestion and wondering if anyone has ever used it?

The best way to remove stuck on bathtub decals is to pry them up with a hard plastic scraper, then remove the adhesive with a prewash spray like Shout or Spray ´n Wash. If you can´t pry them up, then try to work the prewash spray underneath the decals. Saturating with baby oil or WD-40 and leaving for a couple of hours should work too. The adhesive can also be removed with commercial adhesive remover, vegetable oil or lighter fluid.

False
    Photobucket
    BonBon,
    We are using one of the rubbermaid mats in the tub and that does a great job for non-stick. That's one of the reason's we are trying to get rid of the 15+ year old (there were there when we moved in) decals.
    False
    Photobucket
    How to Remove Bathtub Decals
    Those decals in your bathtub sure won't budge - after all, it's their stick-to-itiveness that makes your bathtub safe. But when it's time to remove or replace those decals, undo their glue with some common household products and a little elbow grease.

Steps:
    1. Soak a cleaning cloth in warm vinegar and squeeze the vinegar over the decal.

2. Soak the cleaning cloth in warm vinegar again and lay it over the decal; let it sit for several minutes.

3. Remove the cloth and pry the decal off with a plastic spatula or putty knife.

4. Scrub away any sticky residue with a plastic scrubber and more vinegar.

Tips from eHow Users:
    Remove Bathtub Decals by ll P.
    If the vinegar method fails to remove no-slip bathroom or shower decals, try petroleum jelly. Dry the area. Peel off the rubber tops. Then coat the adhesive that's left behind with a thick coat of petroleum jelly. Wait several minutes to see if the jelly will soften the adhesive. Finally, scrape and peel the soft residue with a plastic putty knife.

False
    Before you get started, it's a good idea to test the cleaning/removal material in an inconspicuous part of the surface the label is stuck on the be sure it will not damage that surface.
    1. Lift several corners on each applique. Then apply a generous portion of "Shout," "Spray-N-Wash," or "Magic Spray" over the entire bottom of the tub. Since nothing will eat through the Mylar film, these solutions must get under the applique in order to work on the adhesive.

2. This time, allow the appliques to soak for about two hours. One of these solutions should soften the adhesive to a point where the appliques can be lifted easily from the tub surface and any remaining adhesive can be wiped up.

After following one of the above procedures...after removing the appliques and any remaining adhesive, you should then scour the tub thoroughly with a mild powdered cleanser (such as Bon Ami). Then rinse thoroughly and air-dry before installing new appliques.

If one of these solutions remains on the tub surface, your next set of appliques may not adhere well...thus, the scouring powder treatment.

Some tub manufacturers (such as fiberglass) recommend that powdered cleansers not be used on their tubs. Instead use liquid detergents, or baking soda and water, or all-purpose household cleaners.

[Info from the Home Maintenance And Repair Database at the Michigan State University website]

False
    Q: Agnes from Quincy asks, "What is the best way to remove bathtub decals that have been there for years and what is the best way to whiten the tub? I used Iron Out but wonder if there is a new product available."

A: It's common problem for people who've put on those decals so they don't slip in the tub. There's a couple of different products you can use to remove them. The easiest one is a product called Goo Gone which is an adhesive remover. It comes in a bottle, it's a couple dollars, it's not very expensive. It will break down the adhesive. Usually the best way is to peel off the plastic you see on the surface, and then use the Goo Gone to remove the adhesive. If you still see some marks on the tub, Iron Out is actually a pretty good product to use. It's actually an iron remover, it will remove rust stains from a tub. There's also products like C-L-R which is a calcium, lime and rust remover. And there's other products like jellies that you put on the surface, let sit, and they whiten the porcelain as long as it hasn't broken down too much over the years.
    False
    Q: Agnes from Quincy asks, "What is the best way to remove bathtub decals that have been there for years and what is the best way to whiten the tub? I used Iron Out but wonder if there is a new product available."

A: It's common problem for people who've put on those decals so they don't slip in the tub. There's a couple of different products you can use to remove them. The easiest one is a product called Goo Gone which is an adhesive remover. It comes in a bottle, it's a couple dollars, it's not very expensive. It will break down the adhesive. Usually the best way is to peel off the plastic you see on the surface, and then use the Goo Gone to remove the adhesive. If you still see some marks on the tub, Iron Out is actually a pretty good product to use. It's actually an iron remover, it will remove rust stains from a tub. There's also products like C-L-R which is a calcium, lime and rust remover. And there's other products like jellies that you put on the surface, let sit, and they whiten the porcelain as long as it hasn't broken down too much over the years.
    False
    A Sticky Bathtub Situation

Dear Heloise: I need to know how to remove those stick-on, no-skid butterflies and footprints that are in the BOTTOMS OF BATHTUBS. I think you answered this before, but I cannot find it anywhere. -- Nancy D., Via E-mail

Don't fret -- the answer is in the Heloise Central files!

Send a money- or time-saving hint to: Heloise, P.O. Box 795000, San Antonio, TX 78279-5000, fax it to 210-HELOISE or e-mail it to Heloise@CompuServe.com. Please include your city and state when faxing or using e-mail. Heloise can't answer your letter personally but will use the best hints in her column. Here is an archive of her columns.

Add Hints From Heloise to your personal home page.

_____Free E-mail Newsletters_____

• Home & Shopping

First, lift up on the edges of each applique as much as possible. Then spray a lubricating oil or a petroleum-based prewash spray under each one -- letting this sit to penetrate the adhesive for 30 minutes or longer. Next, pull up more on the lifted edges, firmly and steadily, until it comes up. You might need to reapply the spray oil to stubborn appliques. Also, boiling water poured directly on each applique can help soften the adhesive underneath long enough to pull up the applique -- be sure to wear rubber gloves to protect your fingers from burns.

Once you've removed all the appliques, you might notice that they have left an adhesive residue behind. If so, use a nylon-net scrubber and some adhesive remover to scrub it away.

CAUTION: The oily sprays and adhesive removers will leave the bathtub surface very slippery, so wash and rinse the entire area thoroughly. -- Heloise

False
    THANK YOU!! Will let you know how it all ends up. This is this week's project!
    False
    Photobucket
    Goo Gone!

It is great!

Barb
    False