To freeze or not to freeze - cream cheese | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

To freeze or not to freeze - cream cheese

Last post Feb 27, 2005 11:47 PM by Cabot . 7 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
  • To freeze or not to freeze - cream cheese
    I have read in the past where you shouldn't freeze cream cheese. Yet I have read on some post where some freeze cream cheese when they buy it on sale. I am looking for the good and bad (hopefully there are no bad experiences) from freezing cream cheese. I have used a partial 8oz block of cream cheese and hate to throw the rest out. Yet I have been told to use cream cheese within 1 week of opening it.

Thanks for any suggestions and experiences you post.
    False
  • RE: To freeze or not to freeze - cream cheese
    I freeze cream cheese all of the time. I use it to cook and bake with and it's fine. I have also mixed it into dips. I wouldn't use it for a recipe that called for pouring something over the block of cream cheese though. Carol
    False

Carol

To me, the cream cheese once frozen has a different texture and separates in some recipes, just like other dairy products like sour cream do when frozen.
    False

Cool

Cream cheese gets grainy if frozen. Maybe it will work ok for somethings but I wouldn't recommend it for cheesecake for sure.
    BJ
    False

Find more about Weather in New Bedford, MA

According to the chart from the Cooperative Extension Service from Kansas State University, Manhattan, Kansas on Refrigerator/Freezer Approximate Storage Times...

Cream cheese can be frozen, recommended time - no longer than 1 month. Becomes crumbly when frozen; can be used in cooking when creaminess is not important. Freezing changes texture of soft cheeses.

(Note: same information for ricotta cheese.)
    False
    the philidelphia brand website says you can freeze cream cheese but the shelf life is so long most people don't find it necessary.
    False

I freeze cream cheese all the time. It's fine for baking and cooking...I've never had a problem. The texture does change a little bit, so I don't think it would work well for dips or cheese balls once it's been frozen.
    False
    I had no idea that stuff could be frozen. Thanks!
    Lynn in Cabot
    False