Need a "worm" snack idea for kids | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Need a "worm" snack idea for kids

Last post Mar 11, 2005 3:08 PM by Sew4Fun . 11 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
  • Need a "worm" snack idea for kids
    My 3rd grader's class has been reading books all year. They have been placing a 4" circle with the title of the book written on it that they read around the entire classroom. This has made a gigantic worm like creature all the way around the classroom. Next week they are going to have a worm party to celebrate their accomplishment.

The teacher is asking for everyone to bring a snack that has to do with worms. Any ideas? Uses for gummy worms? I guess it could also be foods that worms eat themselves. I did see an idea using grapes on a kebab to make a worm like object...but I didn't know how to finish off the worm where the eyes would be. Any and all ideas would be appreciated.
    False
  • RE: Need a
    what about making dirt and having the worms in it? Or take apples and core them. Fill with peanut butter and stick a gummy worm coming out of it.
    False
    How about chocolate cupcakes (dirt) and have the gummy worms coming out of it???
    False
    Posted by: candykisses_Oklahoma Replies: 2 Posted on: 10/8/2002 4:29:51 PM
    #T91570
    DIRT CAKE

Serves: 12
    Source: LaDonna
    Effort: average
    Comments: This is something we serve every holiday. Plus it is so good during the hot summer months. Kristina calls it "mud cake" For fun, it?s fun to put gummy worms in it.

Ingredients:
    1 pkg. (1 lb. 4 oz.) Oreo?s
    1 c. powdered sugar
    8 oz. cream cheese, softened
    1/4 c. butter, softened
    2 large instant vanilla pudding
    3 -1/2 c. milk
    8 oz. Cool whip

Instructions:
    Crush cookies to dirt in either blender or food processor.
    Set aside.
    Cream butter, cheese & sugar.
    Mix pudding & milk according to instructions.
    Add cream cheese mixture to pudding
    Fold in cool whip.
    Layer cookies, then filling, ending with cookies on top. Refrigerate

"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"

False
    You can also take oreos (or use the minis for this project) and use icing to "glue" them together in a worm shape. You could use mini chocolate chips for the eyes.

You could even use the mini chocolate chips with the grapes for eyes.

I've seen where you take flower pots and crush oreos up for the "dirt" and then stick cookies on long sticks (like bamboo skewers) for flowers and you could stick gummie worms out of that dirt....very similar to other ideas.
    False

I checked out recipes at familyfun.com

Here is an apple cupcake with a worm
    http://familyfun.go.com/recipes/special/cake/cake_apple/

another
    http://familyfun.go.com/recipes/special/cake/cake_worm/

And:
    Putrid Punch

Try This Ghoulish Punch From FamilyFun

PUTRID PUNCH:
    1 13-oz. package lemon-lime Kool-Aid
    1 cup sugar
    8 cups water
    1 can frozen orange juice concentrate
    4 cups ginger ale
    Worm cubes (ice cubes with gummy worms frozen inside)
    3 scoops orange sherbert

This sick-colored punch looks disgusting but tastes divine. Empty the Kool-Aid package into a punch bowl. Add the sugar, then the water and stir until dissolved. Stir in the orange juice. Just before serving, add the ginger ale and worm cubes and float the scoops of sherbert on top. Before long, the punch will be green and infested with worms. Serves 14. A perfect drink to compliment Worms on a Bun.

False
    Photobucket
    Worms on a Bun

Try This Ghoulish Dish From FamilyFun

Try this Halloween twist--or should we say wiggle?--on the traditional hot dog and bun.

Ingredients

Hot dogs
    Hamburger rolls
    Ketchup

Directions

Cut the hot dogs into thin slices and score the edges (about three cuts per slice).

Boil or microwave until the slices curl like wiggly worms. Serve three or four worms to a bun. For an extra-icky touch, add a few squiggles of ketchup and serve with Putrid Punch.

False
    Photobucket
    Put gummy worms on a plate and have the children eat them like a robin would. No hands, only beaks (mouths)!

False
    My grandma used to make up a bunch of pie crust and cut them in long strips. We would roll them into "worm" shapes and then roll them in sugar/cinnamon mixture. Grandam would bake them up for me. I wouldn't eat pie, but I'd eat these.I used to love "worms"! Thanks for bringing back a great childhood memory.

~Teri
    False

Thanks for the ideas. I'm going to try the "Worms on a Bun" recipe this weekend.

I'm trying to find something that other parents in the class won't think about. If you come up with any other ideas, let me know. I have until next Friday to decide.
    False
    Sew4Fun,

I made a caterpillar cake for my dd's daycare one time and it was precious.
    I just made a cake mix in a bundt pan. When it was cool, I sliced it in three sections. Then put back together in a worm shape-- one section turned one way, the second curved opposite way, the third opposite the way. Then frosted it, used a Snowball (one of those snacks with the cookie on bottom and marshmallow on top) for the head. I used gumballs cut in half for the eyes and a Runt candy(or any curved candy) for the mouth. I used twizzlers for the antennas and those small oblong candies for the feet.
    I know my description is long and I hope it makes sense, but it really was very easy to make and the kids loved it. Oh, yeah, I also put colored coconut on the platter to look like it was in the grass.

Hope you can understand all this.

Lisa
    False
    My son's class had their worm party today. I made the worms on the bun....but most of the kids just wanted to eat the worms without the buns.

Other items served were:

string licorice
    spaghetti
    twisted pretzels
    twisted crackers
    twisted bread sticks
    cheetos
    cupcakes with worms
    dirt cake
    salami with a worm hole cut out if it
    False