Looking for kuga (koo-gah) recipe | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Looking for kuga (koo-gah) recipe

Last post Nov 29, 2013 4:30 PM by sauregurke . 31 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 3 (32 items) 123
  • Looking for kuga (koo-gah) recipe
    Does anyone out there have a recipe for kuga (pronounced koo-gah)? It's an eggy sweet flat bread that my husband's grandma used to make (I think a German recipe), and no one got the recipe before she passed away. I'd love to be able to bring it to the next family get together and surprise everyone.

I appreciate any help you can give!
    False
  • RE: Looking for kuga (koo-gah) recipe
    I think maybe you are thinking of Kuchen (Koo-can)?
    False

Cool

I don't know. She always called it kuga, or however it's spelled.
    False
    You might try addressing it to the attention of Grelo.
    False
    It sounds like it could be Kucha...dialect for Kuchen ( cake )...there are many different cakes going by the name Kuchen...sounds like this could be a plain one made with yeast...

Do you remember anything else about it ? Was it made on a sheet or free formed ? Was the texture like the braided Challah ?

crowfeather
    False
    Hi maizenblue, my Grandma is German and makes a lot of German recipes she learned from her mother, who came to the states as a Russian German. Kraut Kuga is a family favorite...basically a bread pocket filled with cooked ground beef, onions and cabbage. Rivel Kuga is a sweet bread coffee cake type thing she makes too...but I am not sure how she makes it. I will have to ask her next time I talk to her about different Kuga recipes. Hope you find what you are looking for, I know how much I will miss my Grandma's cooking when she is gone. I try to ask for recipes when I can so I can carry on her wonderful traditions.
    Hugs~ems
    False
    Kuga must be from Russia...it is not German...often recipes overlapped and many recipes are actually of Polish, Russian, Hungarian or Czech origin...it's several generations ago and nobody remembers the details. Add to that the different dialects and you get many different interpretations...
    False
    Hi - I did a SEARCH on GOOGLE for German Kuga and didn't come up with much. These were the only two items (although there were many more pages (results) I didn't look through, and these don't sound too much like your description, but I'll add them here.
    You might want to try a SEARCH yourself....who knows. you might find something!

Here's all I found...
    -------------------------------------
    Have you ever heard of Kuga (koo-ga)? It's another kind of bread (looks like a big ball) and has cinnamon all over the outside, but is white in the middle. We toast it and put peanut butter on it. I was just wondering because this was somthing else his grandma always made for him.

Cherry German Kuga
    Pat Gage

Wet Ingredients:

Scald 2/3 milk and set aside to cool. Dissolve 1 pack yeast with 1/4 cup warm water in a small bowl. When smooth, add 1 tbsp Pioneer Sugar and stir until smooth again. This activates the yeast. Set aside.

Dry Ingredients:

3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 cup butter
    1 tsp salt
    Blend with a pastry blender until coarse

Combine 3 beaten egg yolks to the cooled milk. Add yeast mixture next and gently stir.

Gradually stir wet ingredients to the dry mixture. Divide dough in half. Roll out half of the dough between two pieces of waxed paper to evenly fit in an 11x15-inch pan with edges. Carefully remove top layer of waxed paper.

Evenly distribute 2 large cans of cherry pie filling over the dough.

Roll out second half of the dough in the same manner as first. Place dough side down over cherries. Carefully remove top layer of waxed paper and tuck in extra dough around the pan.

Topping:

3 tbsp flour
    1 cup Pioneer sugar
    4 tbsp butter
    Blend with a pastry blender until coarse. Distribute evenly over pastry.

Bake at 350 degrees until topping is brown, about 50 minutes. Place on cooling rack.
    BTW, does anyone know what "Pioneer" sugar is? Is that a brand name?
    False
    Bump
    False

"Disabled And Proud!" Both me and my only child are SSA Registered-Certified Disabled PWDs. I was born in the state of California, in the county of Santa Clara, in the city of San José. ***In every woman there is a Queen. Speak to the Queen and the Queen will answer. - Norwegian Proverb***

I think you are looking for Kuchen. If you do a search for it you will come up with many versions. Many Germans in North Dakota make kuchens and they are very good. Basically, they are a sweet dough with a custard filling. Fruits may be added before the custard is added.
    False
     Click for Jamestown, North Dakota Forecast
    Thanks for your responses. To ems Mi: the cinnamon breakfast type sounds very close. She always make it in the shape of a circle, it was pretty flat, and had cinnamon. If your grandma has that recipe, I'd love to see it. Thanks again.
    False
    False
  • Re: Looking for kuga (koo-gah) recipe

That is a dish made in our family as well.  Some people here have said they make Koocan or similar in North Dakota.  I'm from Saskatchewan (Canadian friends to the North :-)) and we call it Koogah (Kuga) I don't know the spelling.  I'll ask around and see if I can get a recpie.

False

Yep, it's all in the dialect.  I think it's Kuchen, too, just pronounced differently.  Did the kuchen have fruit on it?  Was the dough with yeast or some other leavening?  I make one that's with baking soda (natron), and fruit of the season on top.

Pioneer is a brand of sugar, just like you guessed.

False
    "I try to avoid serving inedible substances to my guests." VinnyD

My mother in law makes kuga, it is a round flat bread sort of thing with a custardy stuff in the middle.  She is from North Dakota for what it is worth. :)

Pastry:
    6 Cups flour
    3 Teaspoons baking powder
    1 Tablespoon salt
    6 Tablespoons sugar
    1 Cup shortening

Mix above ingredients like a pie dough. Add enough water to make a soft dough (about 1 3/4 cups). Divide into 8 pieces. Roll very thin. Do not grease pans. Put rolled dough in pie pans. Fold down edges so it looks like edge of pizza. *** the dough with a fork.

Filling:
    4 Cups whipping cream
    5 Eggs, beaten
    3 Cups sugar
    3 Tablespoons flour
    2 Teaspoons vanilla

Pour filling (about 6 oz.) over the top, making sure it doesn't run over edges. Sprinkle evenly with cinnamon. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.

False