Mexican Fudge or Leche Quemada? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Mexican Fudge or Leche Quemada?

Last post Feb 08, 2004 9:57 AM by FREEZERQUEEN . 12 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
  • Mexican Fudge or Leche Quemada?
    Well, I recently wrote asking anyone for a Mexican Fudge recipe and I got several replies. Thankyou! I'm still looking for that special one, though. It has pecans, milk or cream, water, and cooks on low for 4 hours. That's the secret I think. It might be called "burnt milk fudge," or "Dulce de Leche fudge," or "Leche Quemada." I'd appreciate any help and thanx for the replies I got already. ALSO, on my honeymoon my husband and I tried something called "sticky toffee pudding." It was said to be made with sponge cake and a warm toffee sauce. I got on the net and found a recipe, but the cake wasn't a sponge, and it was much too heavy. We had the dessert in Grand Cayman, and it was a pure delight. I'd love to suprise my husband with what we had. Please, help me find these two lost recipes! Trust me, you'll love them too!
    False
  • RE: Mexican Fudge or Leche Quemada?
    I'll still keep looking...but I know that just about anything called Mexican fudge is made with jalapenos and sometimes cheese too!

I have seen the burnt milk fudge, but it's not cooked along time. I have alot of very old candy recipe books, I'll try to get to those after the holiday and see if they have anything close!

As for the "sticky" recipe, you may end up putting two recipes together..if you find a sauce that you like but not the sponge cake, there are alot of great sponge cake recipes around...just an idea!

Good Luck in your adventures!

Bronte
    False

Hi! hifromlish

You might check these recipes. If I weren't so tired, I would do a more extensive search, but for now, here is an address for many recipes.

http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,6-0,sticky+toffee+pudding,FF.html

I hope you might find something there.

Mary
    False
    MaryK.
    Burnt Milk Candy (Leche Quemada)

This is a Mexican burnt sugar candy similar to what is often called "Patience Candy" in the states. Recipes vary, some calling many hours of simmering of the sugar and milk to make a think, fudge-like confection. This method is quicker and easier.

3 cups sugar
    1 cup whole milk
    1 stick (4 oz. butter)
    1 1/2 cups chopped pecans

In a heavy 3-4 quart saucepan, bring 2 cups of the sugar, milk and butter to a boil stirring to dissolve sugar. Reduce heat to a simmer.

Meanwhile, caramelize the remaining 1 cup sugar in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. As soon as it melts and turns amber, stir and remove from heat and add to the simmering milk mixture. The mixture will foam up furiously.

Return to medium heat and cook, stirring occasionally to 250-260 degrees on a candy thermometer (hard ball). Note that just before this stage is reached, the bubbles will become quite large.

Take off heat and let cool, undisturbed, 5-8 minutes. Then set the pan in a larger pan of cold water and beat with a wooden spoon until the fudge thickens and begins to lose its gloss. Immediately pour into a very lightly buttered 9 X 9 pan. Sprinkle the nuts evenly over the top and press into the candy. Let cool, then cut into 1 1/2 inch squares.
    Yield: 36 squares.

Cuisine of the American Southwest
    Anne Lindsay Greer
    False
    From SAVEUR
    Leche Quemada (Burnt-Milk Fudge)
    MAKES 3 DOZEN BARS

Dallas-based candy maker R. J. Williams believes his “Mexican fudge” to be richer, smoother, and easier to make than American fudge.

5 lbs. sugar
    4 12-oz. cans evaporated milk
    1 12-oz. can evaporated goats’ milk (or substitute evaporated milk)
    2 cups light corn syrup
    1 tbsp. salt
    1 tbsp. vanilla extract
    4 tbsp. butter
    1 cup pecans (optional)

1. Put sugar, evaporated milk, evaporated goats’ milk, corn syrup,

SAVEUR
    and salt in a large heavy pot. Attach a candy thermometer to the pot. Cook on medium-low heat for 1 hour, stirring often with a wooden spoon. Increase heat to medium and cook, stirring, for 20 minutes. The temperature should rise slowly but steadily. Increase heat to medium-high and cook, stirring constantly, for 20 minutes. Increase heat to high and cook, again stirring constantly—make sure to scrape the burned bits off the bottom as they develop—until the temperature reaches 245°. Immediately remove pot from heat, stir in vanilla and butter, and continue to stir mixture occasionally as it cools.

2. When the candy cools to 180°, stir in pecans (if using), and transfer to a buttered 9'' x 12'' baking pan. Cool slightly, cutting into bars while still pliable. Cool completely before serving.

False
    LECHE QUEMADA
    1 quart milk
    2 cups sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla or drop of almond extract (optional)
    chopped nuts (optional)
    In a heavy pan over high heat, bring the milk and sugar to a full boil.(For a darker, more caramel-like dulce, substitute 1/4 cup brown sugar for an equal amount of white sugar) Immediately reduce heat to low, and cook; the mixture should bubble gently.
    When it takes on a caramel color and thickens to the consistency of a caramel topping or light pudding ( this will take 5 to 6 hrs), remove from the heat and cool. Flavor with vanilla or almond extract if you wish.
    Set in the freezer or refrigerator to chill; in the freezer it will become alittle firmer ( This will keep in the refrigator for a week)
    This is so rich it is most often served in cordial glasses, nut cups or Oriental teacups.
    This is also known as Milk Pudding
    And you are right--It is delish!!!
    Nancy
    False

Blessed are those that can give without remembering and take without forgetting.

Bump for hifromlish
    False

Blessed are those that can give without remembering and take without forgetting.

BUMP
    False
    BUMP
    False
    Here is what I found out recipesource.com for Sticky Toffee Pudding. HTH.

Regards,
    Dee

* Exported from MasterCook II *

Australian Sticky Toffee Pudding

Recipe By : Jill Dupleix
    Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Desserts

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 cup dates (180g) -- pitted and chopped
    1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
    1 cup boiling water
    2 tablespoons butter
    1 cup soft brown sugar (150 g)
    2 eggs.
    1 1/2 cups self-raising flour (180 g) -- sifted
    Toffee Sauce:
    1 cup soft brown sugar (150 g)
    3/4 cup light whipping cream.
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla
    2 tablespoons butter

Mix dates and baking soda in a heat-proof bowl. Pour boiling water on top
    and leave to stand. Cream butter and sugar until pale, then add eggs one
    at a time, heating well after each addition. Gently fold in sifted flour,
    stir in the date mixture, and pour into a lightly buttered 18cm or 7"
    square or round cake tin. Bake in a preheated oven (180 C) for 30-40
    minutes, until an inserted skewer comes clean.
    Combine sugar, cream, vanilla essence and butter in a saucepan, bring to the boil, stirring, and simmer for five minutes. Set aside until ready to serve, then quickly reheat when needed. Cut pudding into squares and place each square in the centre of a warm dinner plate. Pour hot toffee sauce over each square and serve with fresh cream.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    False
    Hello, have you tried find this recipe in the Bulleting Board Search Box. I've a lot of success with most all I've looked for. I bet there are hundred different renditions out there. Try it, you've nothing to lose. hija
    False
    bump
    False
    bumping for anyone who wants to try this
    False