Can I use evaporated milk in Alfredo sauce? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Can I use evaporated milk in Alfredo sauce?

Last post Mar 10, 2005 10:48 AM by hollyga . 8 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
  • Can I use evaporated milk in Alfredo sauce?
    I use it in the place of cream in a lot of recipes, because it's easier to keep on hand. Just wondered if it would work here, too, and if it would still taste good.
    False
  • RE: Can I use evaporated milk in Alfredo sauce?
    I do...in fact I just used evaporated milk in lieu of heavy cream in a seafood dish I made. Worked great. I did add a little bit of flour to speed the thickening.

cilla/NW FL
    False

cilla / NW FL

Shrimp and Garlic Fettuccine Alfredo

Using evaporated milk instead of cream gives this dish a creamy feel without the fat.

1 (12-ounce) package BUITONI® Fettuccine
    1 teaspoon olive oil
    1/2 cup red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
    2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
    1 (12-ounce) can NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
    3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
    8 ounces medium shrimp, peeled, deveined and cooked
    1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
    Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
    In a nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; cook red bell pepper and garlic for 30 seconds or until softened slightly. Add to pasta along with evaporated milk and Parmesan cheese. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring gently, for 3 to 4 minutes or until sauce is heated thoroughly and thickened slightly.
    Add shrimp and peas; stir gently until heated thoroughly. Remove from heat; let stand for 2 to 3 minutes or until thickened. Garnish each serving with parsley and Parmesan cheese, if desired. Season with salt and pepper according to taste.
    Makes 4 servings.

Recipe and photograph are the property of Nestlé® and Meals.com, used with permission.

False

Evaporated Milk is a common substitute for cream or half & half. Use a 1:1 ratio. You may detect a slight difference in flavor, but the texture should be about the same as with cream. In the 1940's, unless you lived on a farm, Evaporated Milk was commonly used as a cream substitute. I have cookbook for Carnation Evaporated Milk (1941) and nearly anything you could make with cream or milk is included in the book. Sorry, no Alfredo Sauce recipe in it.
    False
    Thank you. Rosiewny, that recipe sounds delicious.

That's okay, graingirl, I have an alfredo sauce recipe. It was on the back of the bag of fettucine I bought. That's when I realized, Duh, why am I paying $3 for a little jar of sauce when I could just make my own.
    False
    http://www.verybestbaking.com/recipes/detail.aspx?ID=27919

Fettuccine Alfredo
    Estimated Times:
    Preparation - 10 min | Cooking - 10 min | Yields - 4

Add interest and color to Fettuccine Alfredo by including your favorite meat or vegetable combinations. Some popular additions include cooked chicken, shrimp or crumbled bacon, as well as peas, finely chopped red bell pepper or broccoli florets. Complete your meal with crispy bread, green salad and Perrier water with a twist of lemon.

Ingredients:

1 package (9 ounces) BUITONI Refrigerated Fettuccine, prepared according to package directions
    3 tablespoons butter
    2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    1 cup CARNATION Evaporated Milk
    1/2 cup chicken broth
    1/2 cup (2 ounces) freshly grated Parmesan cheese
    1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated provolone cheese
    1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper

Directions:
    MELT butter in medium saucepan over medium heat; stir in flour. Gradually add evaporated milk and broth. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil and thickens. Stir in Parmesan cheese, provolone cheese, cayenne pepper and black pepper until cheese is melted. Toss with pasta; serve immediately.

False

Cool

3littlebirdszn6,

I was told it is lower in calories, too-extra bonus for keeping it on hand! :O)
    False

Cool

Thank you hollyga. I saved this thread so I can try the recipes.
    False
    You are very smart if you save the url's or recipes, as TOH BB search engine acts up OFTEN LOL :O)
    False

Cool