What does it mean to boil potatoes in "jackets"? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

What does it mean to boil potatoes in "jackets"?

Last post Mar 18, 2005 1:02 PM by csharris_LA . 15 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 12
  • What does it mean to boil potatoes in "jackets"?
    I have never heard of boiling potatoes in jackets before, and I have a recipe that says to do that. Can anyone help?

Thanks, Lisa
    False
  • RE: What does it mean to boil potatoes in
    This means with the skin on.
    False
    i second they wear their skins..lol
    False
    When I was little, I would only eat potatoes cooked "in their jackets". I thought Mom did that just for me. Didn't know it was just a way to get a picky eater to cooperate. LOL
    False

"Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book." ~Author Unknown

I like mine boiled in their jackets, sometimes I will add their little mittens and stocking caps. LOL
    False
    Lisa don't forget to wash those taters little jackets before boiling.
    My grandaughter didn't and lands did she ever have dirty water. lol
    She even called me to ask if they was still any good.
    Sounds like you are making potato salad. Enjoy.

Nancy
    False

Blessed are those that can give without remembering and take without forgetting.

Tiny new potatoes, boiled in their jackets, are very good cut in half and fried. Used to have that as a child. Funny--because my mother doesn't like potato skins.
    False
    Lisa, you made my day. I got to send your qustion on to my daughter. She called me one day to find out how to cut butter into some flour she said the sissors wern't working to good with it. I got her to hand the phone to one of her daughters and told them to help their mom. she is 43 now and her DH says she is up to cooking about 5 things now. He does the cooking.
    melissa
    False
    In Great Britain, they call baked potatoes "jacket potatoes". lusi
    False
    My DH and I were at my moms house. We were talking about a recipe, and she mentioned potatoes in "their" jackets. He looked at me strange. On the drive home he asked, "What in the world are potatoes in their jackets? I told him. And he thought this was the cutest.
    pepsi
    False
    First you get out a little pattern, then you sew a little coat for each potato. Or maybe not.
    False
    I got a big kick out of this. It's like the teenager that asked, "What constitutes a boil?"
    Menkus, no one was making fun of you. I hope you know that. We were just having sport. That is what this bulletin board is all about.
    Lynn in Cabot
    False
    You guys are the best! Thanks
    False
    I love this thread. I guess potatoes in their jacksets is a regional thing. I fix them all the time for my family. They prefer them over baked.
    False
    Click for Red House, West Virginia Forecast Bailey
    And the right size jacket is difficult to find for those little guys, too, LOL! Try finding the mittens and scarf. That will do you in, lol!
    Teasing along with the rest!
    Our American language is so funny sometimes and it amazes me how many words we use all the time and have no clue why! Why didn't we just say "skins" for pity sakes and spare all the stress for this person. LOL

And another thing.....why in the world do we say peel the potatoes? If we are going to call them skins, why not say, well it is time to skin the potatoes. But no, we say peel the potatoes. We don't say, it is now time to take the jackets off the potatoes!!!!!It is getting a little warm in here for the little fellows!!
    Enough already, Mrs. Germanlady!~ Okay!

LOL Germanlady
    False
    Nothing of value in life comes effortlessly.