How far in advance can I boil egg for Easter egg dyeing? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

How far in advance can I boil egg for Easter egg dyeing?

Last post Mar 16, 2005 10:27 PM by CathyLewNC . 5 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
  • How far in advance can I boil egg for Easter egg dyeing?
    We are having an Easter egg hunt this weekend. How far in advance can I boil the eggs that we will be using for dyeing?
    False
  • RE: How far in advance can I boil egg for Easter egg dyeing?
    I was thinking this today. My store had eggs marked down to a quarter a dozen, so I bought a couple of dozen. I don't know the answer, but for me, I am definatly waiting, as I have nothing going until Easter...But, for this weekend, I think a couple of days would be ok.
    Seems to me I eat them for at least three days after I boil them, as long as they stay in the frige.
    Not a lot of help, but, some, maybe.
    KathyLu
    False
    "Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us." Marianne Williamson http://www.wherearethecows.webs.com/
    Special Occasions
    How can I be sure my children and I color and decorate hard-cooked eggs safely for Easter?

Eggs are frequently handled at Easter time and each handling occasion is one more chance that the eggs might come into contact with bacteria. To avoid bacterial contamination, wash your hands thoroughly before you handle eggs at every step including cooking, cooling and dyeing. Refrigerate hard-cooked eggs in their cartons if you won’t be coloring them right after cooking and cooling. Refrigerate them again right after you dye them and after you display them.

Color only uncracked eggs. If you want to eat your dyed eggs later, use food coloring or specially made food-grade egg dyes dissolved in water that is warmer than the eggs. If any eggs crack during dyeing or while on display, discard them along with any eggs that have been out of refrigeration for more than 2 hours. If you keep hard-cooked eggs out of refrigeration for many hours or several days for a decoration or for hiding, cook extra eggs for eating. Either discard the eggs that have been left out or use them only for display.

If you hide eggs, consider hiding places carefully. Avoid areas where the eggs might come into contact with dirt, pets, wild animals, birds, reptiles, insects or lawn chemicals. Refrigerate the hidden eggs again after they’ve been found.

False

Cool

http://www.aeb.org/safety/egg_handling_and_care_guide.html

More information from the American Egg Board at link above :O)
    False

Cool

We did ours today (grandson is here for spring break) when they were dry we put them in the frig......we don't eat the colored ones!
    False

Photobucket

It is a mirical that I have not died of salmonella as many of old unrefridgerated easter eggs that I ate growing up. We would leave them in the basket at eat until they were all gone. I do not reccomend that though.
    False