Honeybaked Ham--Is it worth the cost? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Honeybaked Ham--Is it worth the cost?

Last post Mar 24, 2005 2:29 PM by two4tea_MN . 15 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 12
  • Honeybaked Ham--Is it worth the cost?
    I saw an ad yesterday for this ham. It was $9.00 a pound. That means I'd have to spend $72.00 for an Easter ham! Someone must be buying them or they wouldn't stay in business, but I'm sure the great cooks on this board can make a ham just as delicious at a fraction of the cost.
    False
  • RE: Honeybaked Ham--Is it worth the cost?
    that is alot! I know I wouldnt spend that either. I am sure that there is a recipe somewhere on this great BB for a honeybaked ham. (I have done this in my crockpot)
    False
    I've heard they're very good hams. I have personally never bought one. I guess I don't think baking a ham is that difficult so why spend the money, when you can make it yourself and turn out fabulous. If you buy one, you'll have to let us know how you liked it.
    False
    We always get Hillshire, you can't go wrong with them and they are much cheaper.
    False
    The only ham I buy no matter the brand, has to say with natural juices. If the ham says water added I don't waste my money on it. I've noticed most honey baked hams have an aftertaste the family doesn't like at all, so if you haven't tried one, buy the smallest one available before investing in a big one.
    False
    I have had HoneyBaked Ham and they are really GOOD but I cant see paying that much for a ham when I can buy an AWESOME spiral sliced ham from Aldi and use my own basting recipe and the ham turns out great.
    False
    They are really good. I have gotten the half ham and it cost about $35. My family really likes them so to me it is worth it.
    False
    I bought my first Spiral ham from Sam's Club this past christmas. I did not do anything to it except slice part of it and put it on the serving plate. I did not heat it or anything. It was the best ham I have ever had. I want to go and get one this week for Easter.
    False
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad to hear about the good luck some of you have had with particular brands of ham. I may encourage my boss to buy a honey baked ham for the next office get together then I can sample it on her dime.
    False
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad to hear about the good luck some of you have had with particular brands of ham. I may encourage my boss to buy a honey baked ham for the next office get together then I can sample it on her dime.
    False
    Depends on who is eating them. My husband doesn't like them as well as the plain "cooked at home" hams but one of my sons prefers them.
    Tria
    False
    Tria
    I have had several Honey Baked Hams and they have always been very good but as you say the cost is almost prohibitive. I have taken the advice and bought an Appleton Spiral Sliced Ham at Aldi's this week. They were on sale for $l.49 a pound. Hope I am not disappointed.

Margaret
    False
    I have tried the HoneyBaked hams and I agree they are very good, however I do not think any ham is worth $72.00!!! I have had good luck with the Hillshire Farms brand hams in the supermarkets.

~Kathleen
    False
    This is in our new church cookbook, contributed by a very good cook. I have not tried it myself.

HOMEMADE HONEY BAKED HAM

2 cups honey
    2 cups brown sugar
    1/3 cup cider vinegar
    2 teas. each of nutmeg, cinnamon and ground cloves.

Works well with whole ham, boned & rolled, 1/2 ham (bone in or whole boneless hams)- casing removed. Also turkey ham. Mix together above ingredients. Marinate ham at least 24 hours - preferable 3-4 days. Bake at 350 degrees at least l hour, basting occasionally.

Donna

False
    Cole70_IL, could you share your recipe for your glaze and how you bake your ham from Aldi's? Thanks.
    False