Mar Far Chicken has anyone ever made it?? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Mar Far Chicken has anyone ever made it??

Last post Feb 03, 2013 10:42 AM by trystery . 34 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 2 of 3 (35 items) 123
  • Re: RE: Mar Far Chicken has anyone ever made it??

I live in Missouri and never have heard of it.

False

Thank you thank you!!  I miss Kim's so much and I'm making your mar far chicken recipe tonight.  I have the Kim's sauce sitting in the fridge right now!  Yum, I can't wait.  Thanks Janra!!

False

Hi,

I was born in Medford and loved Kim's food for most of my life.  Could I please get the other recipes???  If it's not a bother, I'm homebound with MS but love to cook when I can and I think that the recipes would bring back some wonderful memories!

Thanks,

Gary Sloper

False

Hi again,

Do you mean cut the chicken in 1 1/2 strips or 1 1/2" strips?

False
  • Re: Mar Far Chicken has anyone ever made it??

We have it here (southern Oregon) in all chinese restaurants. We all love it, too---with pink sauce for dipping!

False
    Toni Gommy of 5
    I think the recipe means to cut the chicken in 1-1/2" inch strips, and another recipe said one inch wide. So this is how I am going to make it. 1- 1/2 " long, and 1 inch wide. I hope this helps you. Gail
    False

Mar Far is truly a southern Oregon thing. I grew up in Medford & ate at various chinese rest's in the area, all of them had this on their menus. Then I moved to Portland & couldn't find Mar Far chicken let alone "pink sauce" anywhere up there.

I'm living back in Medford again, Kim's is closed & you can't find this dish that was as good anywhere else.

I know when Kim's closed they published their pink sauce recipe in the Mail Tribune, but never saw anything about their Mar Far recipe. THANK YOU so much for posting this. We will give it a try this weekend!

False

Dear Quinn22,

I grew up in Medford, and our entire family enjoyed all of the Kim's Restaurant  specialties.  We went there for birthdays, special occasions, and later as adults, it became our family tradition on Christmas Eve.  Does your mother have the recipe for the sweet and sour spareribs (I have never tasted any as good) or the wonderful "Pink Sauce" for dipping?

False

We lived in Ashland, Oregon when my husband was in graduate school there.  We loved the Mar Far chicken, so it must have been at Kim's.  I recall this being served with sesame seeds on the side.  Dip the chicken in the hot pink sauce, then into the sesame seeds.  Yum.  No one here has mentioned the sesame seeds - does anyone remember this.

False

Would really appreciate any other recipes your Mother would share,

Thanks Kindly Wattle.

False

Wattle Paradise

I live up here in the Portland/Beaverton area and it's served in at least 5 places that we eat in, also Mar Far pork, that are in little cubes. We get those all the time.

Kathy

False

OMG someone finally understands!!!! I'm 55 and I grew up eating Kim's. Between the Mar Far chicken, the chicken chow mein, the fried rice and the sauce, there really wasn't any other food in the whole world!! God knows they had an extensive menu, as well as American food.....

My parents said I ate rice by grubby handfuls as a diaper-wearing youngster in a Kim's highchair....they were used to children and their messes apparently ;-)  Can you imagine?

When I moved to Portland as a young teen, and would come back to visit ANYTIME, a trip to Kim's was always, ALWAYS in the plans. If friends came from out of town, that's where we'd meet. At one time I would take Kim's home to Sacramento as well as back to Portland--that's how good it was. The only thing better than eating leftover Kim's was eating it fresh out of the kitchen.

Something about the creamyness of the rice and chow mein has never been duplicated in my opinion. I know that I currently have a recipe for the Kim's sauce as well but while it's pretty good, it's not the same. My mom said every housewife in the valley insisted they'd cracked the secret recipe back in the day....trying Campbell's tomato soup as a base (almost the same color) and adding other ingredients. I'm anxious to try the simple recipe you've posted here, as well as the Mar Far....certainly it can't be that easy???

Now, if only the rice and chow mein recipe's would surface, I could live a happy life!! Ahhhhh, Kim's always will hold a permanently special place in my heart and stomach. Good times.....good times.

My second-favorite dish in town was Far East's (the ownership/chefs from at least 1999 to 2004ish) menu was 100 Blossom Beef I think....it was on the lunch menu with rice and chow mein and a close 2nd to Kim's.

I now live in Oklahoma City. I've had Chinese in about 200 restaurants all over the country in my life, always hoping for a flash from the past. I'm sure it will never happen. 

Lisa J

False

I found this a very interesting conversation. Smile I googled Mar Far Chicken just now, and not very many came up.  I am from Roseburg, Oregon grew up there and moved to the Portland area 20 years ago. I have NEVER found a good Chinese restaurant in this area that served Mar Far Chicken and when I ask for the pink sauce I always get the dumb founded look.  I grew up eating at Kowloons, and to this day when I go back to visit friends and family I try to stop in there to eat. Their Mar Far Chicken is to die for along with their pink sauce. Now, for those of you who may read this and know what I am talking about when I say PINK sauce, I HAVE the recipe. My Brother in law has a friend that owns another Chinese Food Restaurant in Southern Oregon and was given the recipe. I was actually shocked and I didn't believe him at first until I tried it. I make it all the time, it is great on a lot of things, I will make a pork loin and use the sauce, it is also great on ham sandwiches. Call me crazy, but I do believe this is a Southern Oregon "thing".   So for those of you who would like this PINK sauce recipe, here you go.....

1/2 C. Vegetable Oil

1/2 C. Ketchup

1/2 C. Mayonaise

3 TBSP. Dry Mustard (I use heaping ones, I like it a little spicy)

4 TBSP. Sugar

Whisk together with a wire whisk. Then add 1/4 C. water mix well again and this is a MUST....It has to chill for 24 hours. This has something to do with the spices kicking in. If you taste it right after you make it, it will taste like GOOP, (another Southern Oregon thing).

Enjoy....... it truly is the real thing.....

False

Dear Normal 0,

There are several people on this blog, myself included, who would love to get more Kim's Restaurant recipes - i.e. sweet and sour spareribs, chow mein,  etc.  Do you have any more?

False

What interesting recipes!  Thanks  all for sharing them.  They all seem to be very close in the way of ingredients. 

What else would the pink sauce be good with !  I'd love to try it. Both recipes   One could taste along the way.  

Thanks  again

Janie

False

Taste of Home member since 2004. Taste of Home field Editor since 2009*

Enjoying  every Minute.