*~*~Does Hershey's baking cocoa go stale?*~*~ | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

*~*~Does Hershey's baking cocoa go stale?*~*~

Last post Feb 06, 2011 12:02 PM by hatetobake . 14 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
  • *~*~Does Hershey's baking cocoa go stale?*~*~
    I have a tin of Hershey's baking cocoa that's, well, REALLY OLD *grin* -- cuz I don't LIKE to bake!

I want to make fudge pie for Easter, should I spring for a new can? And if so, is there a better brand as long as I'm buying?

TIA!

~~susie.
    False

• RE: *~*~Does Hershey's baking cocoa go stale?*~*~
    Susie...I can't say whether or not your cocoa is stale...but why not just do the bad thing...toss it and buy yourself a fresh new can. I use Ghiradelli brand of cocoa. I don't know that it is any better...just what I started buying several years ago.

Fratz
    False
    According to a chart found at this web site: http://www.ext.nodak.edu/extpubs/yf/foods/fn579-1.htm#Staples, cocoa can be kept indefinitely.
    False
    Thank you, Fratz and Graingirl !

False

hi susie - because i have a box myself that i haven't used i checked the web - so the shelf life is just one year -i guess i toss mine -lol

happy baking alissa
    False
    You are welcome to visit my blog...http://cherryblossomtable.blogspot.com/
    I've used cocoa that I've had for several years and everything turns out fine, and I'm still alive to tell you about it. I wonder if sometimes manufacturers tell us that their products have a short shelf life so we have to keep buying them over and over again. The more often we buy the product, the more money they make.
    False
    i don't think so, i've had cocoa in my cupboard for years and used it without trouble.
    False

Thanks, gals! Footsie, if you glance back at this, I added lots-o-information on the FL washing machine thread!

~~susie.
    False

Here is a funny story for you. After my Grandmother died, several years ago, my mother and her sibs were cleaning out her basement. They found a huge box of baking cocoa. It was really old. So my mom and her sisters went upstairs and baked the chocolate cake that my grandmother was famous for. It turned out wonderful! My mom brought the box home with her and it took her a couple of years to use it all. It was good right up to the end.
    False
    thanks susie, i'll go look. i called home depot. they don't keep it in stock but i can special order it. *sigh* i really prefer to look at something before i buy it, not just at pictures, especially something this big. (which is why i'm not much of a catalogue buy i guess.)
    False

This post reminds me years ago when dh started his cholesterol diet I hid a container of chocolate syrup from him. Hid it so well I forgot about it. Found it stashed away with Christmas lights in a closet years later. When you shook the container it "rattled".

Now that was some old syrup.
    False
    I should have asked this question about 6 months ago when I thought about it. I ended up throwing out the old cocoa and buying new. Thanks for the info anyway.
    False
    I bought a five gallon bucket of cocoa powder years ago from a restaurant food supply place. I'm still using it. I keep a Hershey cocoa box filled in my kitchen pantry from the bucket and keep the bucket in my big pantry. I probably will never have to buy cocoa again. I save a bundle by not having to buy any at all at today's prices. I use a lot of cocoa powder.
    False
  • Re: RE: *~*~Does Hershey's baking cocoa go stale?*~*~

Cocoa can go bad.  There is a small about of fat in cocoa that can oxidize and become rancid and give the cocoa an off flavor.  Rancid cocoa will not be dangerous or poisonous; it is just not very good. Cocoa can also absorb flavors from herbs and other seasonings. If you keep the cocoa tightly covered and cool it will last longer than if it is exposed to heat, light, and other odors..

False
  • Re: *~*~Does Hershey's baking cocoa go stale?*~*~

suzycreamcheese_MI
    I have a tin of Hershey's baking cocoa that's, well, REALLY OLD *grin* -- cuz I don't LIKE to bake!

I want to make fudge pie for Easter, should I spring for a new can? And if so, is there a better brand as long as I'm buying?

TIA!

~~susie.
    suzycreamcheese_MI

TIA!

~~susie.

False