Question about potatoes and cream of tartar | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Question about potatoes and cream of tartar

Last post Mar 26, 2005 2:35 PM by pugboyz_NE . 11 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
  • Question about potatoes and cream of tartar
    I read in a crockpot recipe for scalloped potatoes to put the sliced raw potatoes in water and cream of tarter, then drain and proceed with the recipe. I just did a search and found basically the same information on a thread a few months back. My question is: how long can I soak them in the cream of tartar water before using them? Overnight???? Does anyone know? I will bake them instead of using the crock pot, but would like to save a little time Sunday a.m. if possible. Otherwise I'll just get up a little earlier!

Thanks in advance! Sharon
    False
  • RE: Question about potatoes and cream of tartar
    bump
    False
    False

I have soaked mine in water overnight, and they were fine. I did not use cream of tarter and I'm not sure if that makes a difference. I don't know why it would though.
    False

I've used cream of tartar for a crockpot recipe and just sliced them into the water/cream of tartar and then drained them.

I think I'd peel (&slice if you wish)them on Saturday night, keep them in just plain water overnight and then drain that water & put them in the cream of tartar bath just before you put the casserole together. it will keep them from turning color until they're cooked enough to prevent the color change--whether in the oven or crockpot!
    False
    The cream of tartar is there as an acid to prevent oxidation and keep the color of the potatoes white. Much like using lemon juice on apples does.

I'd avoid peeling them and keeping them for a long time in water because it will destroy all the vitamin C and other water-soluable vitamins. The potatoes also soak up additional moisture and it can alter the texture of them.

False
    I put a recipe on the board with cream of tartar and potatoes. I just peel and dice my potatoes and then put the cream of tartar in water and rinse my clean potatoes(from just being peeled and rinsed) in the water and cream of tartar for a little while. Then finish my recipe.

Like someone said. It's suppose to help keep the potatoes whiten instead of turning dark while cooking.
    False
    If you have never tried this, I'd make sure I had extra potatoes on hand "just in case".

False
    "BeancounterCe"
    To prevent potatoes from turning black during cooking add 1/4 tsp of Cream of Tartar to the boiling potatoes or add directly to cooked potatoes before creaming or mashing.

In cooking, like Sandi's recipe below, they prevent discoloring in your potatoes.

Creamy Scalloped Potatoes

Amount Ingredient
    2 pounds potatoes (about 6 medium)
    1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
    1 small onion, thinly sliced
    1/4 cup flour
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    2 tablespoons butter
    10 3/4 ounce can cream of mushroom soup
    4 slices American cheese

Preparation Instructions:

Pare and thinly slice potatoes. Toss slices in 1 cup water and cream of tartar. Drain. Put half of sliced potatoes in greased crock pot. Top with half of onion slices, flour, salt and pepper. Add remaining sliced potatoes and onions. Sprinkle with remaining flour. Add butter and undiluted soup. Cover and cook on Low 7 to 9 hours. (High: 3 to 4 hours). Add cheese 30 minutes before serving. Double recipe for 5 quart model.

False

Cool

Sharon,

Rule of thumb is to add the cream of tartar, check to see it isn't expired-should last 2 years, but, spice gurus say only 6 months.

Add the cream of tartar to the potatoes after cutting them, and you can hold them up to overnight, or as little as 10 minutes-it is up to how long the cook is holding the recipe up for, before using the potatoes.
    False

Cool

I never have used cream of tarter with potatoes. I am going to try it to see what it does but I have never had them turn dark while cooking - only if I left them out raw for awhile. I usually peel and drop them in cold water, then rinse off, slice and cook.

Maybe I have learned something new.
    False
    Thanks for all your help. I really appreciate your answers!
    False