my easter ham was dry and bland, need good recipe | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

my easter ham was dry and bland, need good recipe

Last post Mar 29, 2005 2:26 PM by MzDee38 . 14 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
  • my easter ham was dry and bland, need good recipe
    i am determined that the next ham i fix will be moist and tasty. please i need a good recipe. i would like to fix one next time in my nesco since i don't have enough oven space for a turkey, dressing and ham to all bake in one morning. i have all sizes of nesco if anyone has a good and tasty ham recipe i could use. thanks in advance.
    False
  • RE: my easter ham was dry and bland, need good recipe
    Hi, I have never used a nesco roaster before,but this is what I do. I usually buy boneless or semi-boneless hams,so they are fully cooked.I score the top of the ham,and top it with sliced pineapple and marschino cherries.Then I put it in a covered roaster,pour some of the pineapple juice over the ham.And start baking it at 300 to 325 degrees.Then I mix Vernor's gingerale with some brown sugar together to make a syrup like glaze.Then I start brushing the glaze on after the first hour of cooking.I usually bake the ham for 2-2 1/2 hours depending on the size.During the last 30-45 min of cooking, I uncover the ham and keep glazing it,until the top is brown.Just keep an eye on it. Hope this helps. Sandy
    False
    OOh, that sounds good.
    False

Faith is not demanding what we want; it is trusting God's goodness in spite of life's tragedies. Dave Branon

False
    I haven't failed; I've just found 10,000 ways that don't work.
    I make a mixture of 1 cup light brown sugar, 2 tbsp flour, 1/2 tsp dry mustard, & 3 tbs cider vinegar and 1 cup crushed pineapple & can add a little cinnamon if you like & then score ham & stud with cloves & put this on the ham. I use an oven bag & add a little water & pineapple juice to the bag & bake @ 325 for about 2-21/2 hours or as long as the cooking bag says for the size of the ham. Always moist & tasty & the only way my family likes ham now. I am sure you could do this in a nesco. If you bake the ham in the oven, & don't use a bag & want to glaze you pour drippings from the pan & if necessary, trim fat, leavng only a thin layer score ham by cutting diamond shapes about 1/4 inch deep & insert clove if desired in each diamond. Spoon on the glaze & return ham to oven and bake 15 to 20 minutes more. I am sure your nesco will give you directions too for a juicy ham. Marie
    False
    Well, here's my secret. I bought a nine pound ham Great Value ham in the bright purple wrapping from WM. Put it in a cooking bag and heated it for about 2 hours. It was moist, tender and great. We ate almost all of it.

It was very time consuming! LOL!!
    False
    i will try the cooking bag recipe since i have another piece of ham to cook. also i remember on the bb someone said you could use the cooking bags in the nesco. i was just going to use that to free up oven space but i could bake my dressing or turkey in the nesco. thanks and i am going to try these recipes.
    False
    if you have leftover, already cooked, that is dry, then put it in the food processor, then place in a bowl and add pickle relish and mayo a little bit at a time until it is how you like it! Great HAM SALAD
    False
    I bought a semi-boneless Dietz & Watson fully cooked ham at Giant foods. It has no fillers in it & no water added. Was a nice lean ham 7 lbs+. Added cloves, covered the exposed ham with tinfoil and baked in a pre-heated oven at 325 degrees for 1 hr. 35min. Was so tender and moist. You pay more for this ham but it's well worth it.
    False
    that ham salad with leftovers is a great idea.
    False
    I've beeen cooking ham for a very long time,LOL. I've tried basted, honeybaked whatever. The only way I have found to have it not dry is to bake it in one of those cooking bags. I don't even put the glazes on anymore. They turn out so much more juicy.
    False
    I bought a spiral sliced ham at Sa,'s club and on recommendation from a fried that has been doing them for atleast 5 years, I didn't do anything except slice what I thought we would need for 1 meal and wrap the rest so it is airtight. That the best ham I hace ever tasted. I will never bake another ham as long as these are available. Plus there is no waste, You can just slice off what you need and keep doing this for 2 weeks as long as it stays wrapped real good and staye in the cold fridge and just take it out long enough to slice some off and quickly get it back in the fridge. You don't want it to start warming up. Then I sliced off the last of the pretty slicea and wrapped them really good and froze them . They were just as good after they thawed as in the begining, I them used the bone and what that was still left on it to go into beans or collards or use it like and other ham bone. I would have never believed it was good if my friend had not sworn by it. I'm hooked. A
    False
    This is always moist and tender!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Linda's Way With A Ham!

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Pork

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    7 to 8 pound boneless ham
    brown sugar to cover
    1 can pineapple tidbits (20 oz)
    1 can Dr. Pepper (12 oz)

Cover ham on all sides with brown sugar. Spray crockpot with cooking spray. Place ham in crockpot, add pineapple and Dr. Pepper at side (so brown sugar is not disturbed on top). Cook on low 8 to 10 hours, turning halfway though cooking time. Let stand 30-45 minutes before slicing.

Source:
    "Linda Love"
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    False
    Say less than you know, Own more than you show, Pay as you go, Praise God from whom all blessings flow!!
    This almost tastes like Honeybaked Ham

Holiday Ham

I cook my ham in a crock pot all the time, and it comes out very delicious. I take an average size ham, 2 cans of pineapple (I use the chunks), half of a can of cherry cola, brown sugar and honey. I usually drain one can of chunks and leave the rest w/the juice. Both go into the crock pot w/the ham. Then put about a cup of brown sugar, and a half cup honey, plus the cherry cola. You can cook it at high or low. takes 12 or 6 hours according to which you use.

Give it a try

KB
    False
    I bought a small bone in ham. Boiled it in water, a splash of apple cider vinegar, and some ground cloves for about 15 minutes. I do this to remove more of the salt.

Then I put the ham in a colander in the sink covered it and let it drain for about 45 minutes.

I put it in a cooking bag with a can of apple juice concentrate mixed with some ground cloves and baked it for 1.5 hours. It was excellent. I'm removing the remainders today for a bowl of ham salad (my favorite!).
    False