Anyone use Original Bakewell Cream for biscuits? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Anyone use Original Bakewell Cream for biscuits?

Last post Mar 23, 2011 6:10 PM by texascharity . 11 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
  • Anyone use Original Bakewell Cream for biscuits?
    I bought my first can of Original Bakewell Cream years ago and this is the recipe from the can. I haven't used another biscuit recipe since.

4 cups flour
    4 tsp Bakewell Cream
    2 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp. salt
    1/2 cup shortening
    1 1/2 cup cold milk

Mix and sift dry ingredients. Add shortening and mix with pastry blender. Add milk all at once and stir quickly with a fork. (some flours may require a little more liquid to make a nice soft dough).

Turn out on floured board and knead 5 - 6 times. Roll or pat to 1/2 - 3/4 inch thickness. Cut with biscuit cutter.

Bake at 475º for 5 minutes. Turn off heat and leave in oven for 5 - 10 minutes until golden brown. These biscuits are extra high and light.

False
  • RE: Anyone use Original Bakewell Cream for biscuits?
    I've never used it, but I've heard others say that the biscuits are great. I may have to purchase a can myself.
    False
    is it baking powder and where do you get it?
    False
    Just when the Caterpillar thought her world was over ............ She became a Butterfly I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way. - Jessica Rabbit
    Yes where do you get this. I have never seen it.
    False
    Bakewell Cream can be purchased from the King Arthur Flour Co. at www.bakerscatalogue.com. It's not actually a baking powder since it doesn't contain baking soda like most baking powders do. I've never used the Bakewell Cream, but have used the Bakewell Cream baking powder and I do like that.
    False
    If you substitute BAKEWELL CREAM for baking powder in a recipe, you need to use two parts BAKEWELL CREAM and one part baking soda (I just make up a separate container for this mixture using the BAKEWELL CREAM so it's ready to go). It doesn't substitute straight across for baking powder.
    False
    On the can it says: To substitute for Baking Powder, use two parts Bakewell Cream and one part baking soda.
    Bakewell Cream is the powder, not cream. Someone told me it was cream of tartar with added ingredients. I found the cans at Tuesday Morning store and stocked up because I had to order it too. I keep the extra cans in the freezer.
    False
    The ingredients in Bakewell Cream are acid sodium pyrophospate and redried starch - can be used as a substitute for cream of tartar, but isn't cream of tartar. When you use 2 parts Bakewell Cream to 1 part baking soda, it can be used in place of baking powder.
    False
    You're right Cookiebakr, it can be sub for baking powder but not for cream of tartar, but I did use it instead of cream of tartar in a snickerdoodle cookie recipe and the cookies turn out great. The unbaked dough tasted awful though.
    False
    This is the only recipe I made for biscuits. They are awesome! We love them. They are so high and light and fluffy. Very tasty.
    False
    Bakewell Cream is great. Maybe I shouldn't say this, very easy to get here. Seems that it is made about 20 min. from here, in good ole Maine.

Val
    False
  • Re: Anyone use Original Bakewell Cream for biscuits?

I have used Bakewell Cream since 1993...Love it....

False