HO HO CAKE | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

HO HO CAKE

Last post Apr 13, 2005 7:40 AM by foodmakesheartgrowfonder . 7 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
  • HO HO CAKE
    Does anyone out there have a recipe for a cake called Ho-Ho Cake? I had it a long time ago-Chocolate cake with a creamy filling (like a Hostess Ho-Ho)
    False
  • RE: HO HO CAKE
    If you'll go to the BB search over on the left top corner and type in Ho Ho cake you'll get quite a few posts for it. Depo!!!
    False

photo eagle13.jpg

I just typed in "ho ho cake" in the box on the left there are many there to choose from. Good luck!

Posted by: motherscorpio Posted on: 2/28/2002 10:23:13 AM
    #R209615
    Our version of HO HO cake that my teenage sons devour follows:

1 box chocolate or fudge cake mix
    1 cup sugar
    2/3 cup Crisco
    5 ounces evaporated milk
    1/2 cup butter
    2 tsp. vanilla
    1 can dark chocolate frosting

Mix cake mix according to box directions in a 9x13 pan. Let cool. Cream butter, sugar and Crisco together. Add milk and vanilla. Beat for 10-15 minutes until fluffy. Spread on cake and refrigerate until set. Melt can of dark chocolate frosting in the microwave for 30-45 seconds until runny. Pour over cake and spread carefully so you don't melt the white filling. Refrigerate until set again.
    False
    HO HO Cake

2 tb Cornstarch
    1 c Milk
    1 pk Chocolate cake mix
    1 c Sugar
    1/2 c Shortening
    1/2 c Butter, softened
    1 ts Vanilla
    1/2 c Plus 2 T melted butter
    6 tb Baking cocoa
    3 c Confectioner's sugar
    1 Egg
    2 1/2 tb Hot water
    1 ts Vanilla

Combine the milk and cornstarch in a saucepan, and cook over medium heat until thickened, stirring constantly. Set aside and let cool at room temperature.

Prepare the cake mix as per directions for a 9x13 inch pan. Bake.

Cream sugar, shortening, and butter in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Add 1 tsp vanilla, and milk mixture. Spread over warm cake; let cool completely!

Combine melted butter and cocoa in a bowl; mix well. Add confectioners sugar, egg, hot water and vanilla. Mix well. Pour over cooled cake.

Chill in refrigerator until set.

False

Cool

It only takes me 1/2 hour or less to make this cake from start to finish!
    CHOCOLATE CREAM ROLL CAKE

5 large eggs separated
    1/4 C. flour
    1/2 C. sugar (will be divided)
    1 tsp vanilla
    1/2 C. unsweetened cocoa powder
    confectioner's sugar

filling:
    1 pint and a half of heavy whipping cream
    1/4 to 1/2 cup powdered sugar (depends on how sweet you like it)
    1 tsp vanilla

line a 15 1/2 x 10 1/2 jelly roll pan with parchment paper. heat oven to 350 deg.

Beat egg whites until soft peaks, add 1/4 cup sugar slowly and beat until stiff peaks. Add cocoa powder & flour and beat until blended and still stiff peaks (do not overbeat)

Beat vanilla, another 1/4 cup sugar, and yolks together until thick and creamy.

Gently fold yolk mixture into white mixture and spread evenly on prepared pan. Bake about 10-12 min (when cake springs back when lightly touched)

WHILE baking, spread a clean towel on counter. Sift powder sugar evenly, but not thickly. A little will do.

When cake is done, while hot, invert over towel and carefully peel up all the edges. Then gently peel back from one side. It looks like it is sticking, but only a light layer will stick to the paper and that is ok.

sift more powder sugar over the cake evenly. Roll up short end in the towel and let cool. (i put mine in front of a fan...cools in less than 15 min)

While cooling, make the filling:

whip the heavy cream until stiff. Add powder sugar & vanilla until well blended and still stiff

Unroll cooled cake, spread filling and roll back up! (this is a refrigerated cake & looks like a giant ho-ho!)

Frostings are optional, you can use the "shell" chocolate syrup that you pour over ice cream and pour it over the cake, it will harden some, or you can just spread with canned chocolate frosting. Another option is chocolate glaze (any recipe will do)

False
    This is really good! I gave this recipe to a friend and she makes it all the time, and does not add the fudge frosting over the cake. I usually make it in a 9x13 pan, put on the filling and then pour the icing over that. Have not made one in a while, since I've been on WW, but maybe will have to figure the points on one to make it! Susan
    ------------------
    Posted by:MytFly
    Here is my recipe for HoHo Cake, which I renamed "Canasta Cake" because it is like a cake a local bakery used to make and it had that name:

Make a 2 layer devil's food cake and cool (I always use Duncan Hines Swiss Chocolate). For the filling, beat together: 8 oz. cream cheese, softened, 8-12 oz. cool whip, and 2 c. powdered sugar. Fill cake and chill. Microwave 1 can fudge icing for about 30 seconds and pour over cake. Store in fridge.

EVERYONE loves this cake and it's so easy!
    False

Here's my version

HO - HO CAKE

1 box german chocolate cake mix
    FILLING:
    3 tablespoons flour
    1 1/4 cups milk
    1/2 cup margarine
    1 1/2 cups white sugar
    1/2 cup Crisco®
    ICING:
    1/2 cup margarine
    1 egg
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    2 teaspoons hot water
    2 cups powdered sugar
    cocoa (to suit taste)

Bake cake according to directions on box. Place in greased 9x13" pan.

FILLING:
    Cook until thick, flour and milk. Cool completely. Cream sugar, margarine and Crisco. Add to milk mixture. Beat until fluffy. Let cool in refrigerator. Put on cake and freeze.

ICING:
    Beat all ingredients together and spread on filling. Keep cake refrigerated.

Note: If you don't like to use the icing because of the raw egg, you could use any chocolate icing.

False
    Bumping :)
    False