"Stickies" | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

"Stickies"

Last post Jan 15, 2013 8:50 PM by violet.baudelaire . 14 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
  • "Stickies"
    When I was a little girle, my Grandmother use to bake "stickies" when she had leftover biscuit dough.
    To the best of my memory, she only used dough, white sugar, and butter. I've tried and cannot get them to taste right and are dry. Does anyone have an old fashion "stickies" recipe that they would share. Please e-mail me at fykrberry@msn.com.

Thank you.
    False
  • RE:
    Stickies

This recipe is important to my family, because it has been passed down from my grandmother, aunts, and my dad. The dish Stickies is a dessert, that gets its name from the rolls or the dough. I remember this dish by my grandmother making it out of left-over biscuits or rolls from breakfast. She would put the stuff on it and then serve it to us for dessert. Or my dad, would serve this to us for holiday, or a special celebration. This dish was created by my gandmother's mom, in South Carolina.

can of crescent rolls, butter, evaporated milk, vanilla flavoring, sugar, cinnamon spice, and fruits (optional). Preparation

Put the rolls in a baking pan, but a couple pieces of butter on top of it, pour some of the evaporated milk on top, with the vanilla flavoring. Then sprinkle the sugar and cinnamon, add as much as you want, and bake 375 degrees and wait till it's brown.
    False
    You are welcome to visit my blog...http://cherryblossomtable.blogspot.com/
  • RE:
    this is the recipe i found in the web - i hope someone has the one you are looking for

twinkel
    False
    You are welcome to visit my blog...http://cherryblossomtable.blogspot.com/
  • RE:
    I posted this not too long ago. So good!

Subject: A Yummy Treat from the Past: Stickies
    Posted by: moms_rule_OH Replies: 7 Posted on: 3/10/2005 2:44:35 PM
    #T487088
    These originally came from my grandmother--so you can imagine the recipe I had--pretty bare bones. Today I took time to really measure and follow a set cooking time. She made these sweets using leftover biscuit dough. I have included the one she used, but you could use your favorite biscuit recipe or even Bisquick, I'm sure. They are so, so good!

Stickies

Preheat oven to 400º

Biscuit dough:
    2 cups flour
    1 tsp. salt
    2 tsp. baking powder
    1/3 cup shortening
    1/2 cup milk (a little more if needed)

Mix together dry ingredients in medium bowl. Cut in shortening. Add milk, mix just until dough is moistened, adding a bit more if too dry. Roll out into a thin rectangle, about 14X10 inches.

Filling:
    1-1/4 sticks of butter, softened
    1 cup sugar
    3/4 cup milk

Spread softened butter over rolled out dough. Sprinkle with sugar. Fold over long side of dough 1/4 the way in. Fold again to the middle. Do the same on the other side. Cut all the way down the middle, long ways. Then into cut squares--about 14-16 total. Place stickies into parchment lined 13X9 pan closely together, but not touching. Sprinkle any sugar that fell out on top of the stickies.

Bake about 13-15 minutes, just until stickies start to turn golden. Pour about half the milk in the crevices around stickies. Bake 5 minutes more and pour remaining milk around crevices. Bake 7-10 minutes more until golden. Let sit for a few minutes--this will allow butter, sugar and milk to thicken around stickies. Serve warm for best flavor.
    False
  • RE:
    Stickies are sometimes called Butter Rolls. I found several recipes, including a chocolate variety.

RE: butter rolls
    Posted by: Rjay2514 Posted on: 3/20/2004 2:52:15 PM
    #R3298070

BUTTER ROLLS - My Mom made Butter Rolls as I was growing up. Was very good.

1 can biscuits(or make your own)
    1 glass milk
    3/4-1 cup sugar
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla
    Butter

Place can biscuits or roll out your own, place in baking dish, place generous pat of butter on top each biscuit.
    Mix milk, sugar and vanilla, and pour over biscuits (which you can or not partially cook -- sometimes I do and sometimes I don't).
    Bake till sauce has thickened. You may have to add a little more milk before the biscuits are cooked. You want a little sauce with it.
    Rjay
    False

• RE:
    Subject: SWEET GRANNY'S BUTTER ROLL
    Posted by: twinkle30 Replies: 5 Posted on: 11/22/2004 12:03:28 PM
    #T441593

SWEET GRANNY'S BUTTER ROLL - Butter roll is a wonderful old southern treat that you're just sure to love! -by selma!

2 c. flour
    3 tsp. baking powder
    pinch of salt
    3/4 c. water
    1-1/2 c. sugar
    3 c. milk (do not use lowfat or skim)
    1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
    1-1/2 tsp. cinnamon
    1/2 tsp. nutmeg
    1/2 c. butter, softened

Combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Add water and mix well. Roll out the dough on a floured surface to about 1/4 inch thickness. Cut the dough into 3-inch squares. Now, combine the sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Place 1 tsp. of the sugar mixture and 1 tsp. of butter on top of each square. Roll each square up (jelly roll fashion) and place into a lightly buttered baking dish. Next, in a saucepan, bring the milk and remaining sugar mixture to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract. Pour milk mixture over the butter rolls in the pan and dot the top with the remaining butter. Bake at 350 degrees for about 30-40 minutes.

NOTE: I usually bake the butter rolls for about 8 minutes before I pour the milk mixture on top. You may do it either way you like.
    False

• RE:
    Subject: Vanilla Butter rolls
    Posted by: Mommabass Replies: 9 Posted on: 1/21/2003 12:18:55 PM
    #T130336

Hello ladies,
    I'm guilty. I have been taking your great recipes and haven't been giving. So here goes.

VANILLA BUTTER ROLLS

1 can biscuits (not the grand size)
    1 stick REAL butter
    1 1/2 cup sugar
    vanilla extract
    Sweet whole milk

Butter and biscuits need to be at room temp.

Roll out biscuits thin. Spread butter on each rolled out dough. Sprinkle 1/2 cup sugar over buttered dough. Put 1 or 2 drops vanilla on each biscuit. Roll up biscuit and put in pan in rows.
    Sprinkle with remaining cup sugar. Cover with milk & cook down in 325 degree oven till brown and sauce is gooey.
    Use pan just big enough to hold your rolls without lapping over.
    False

• RE:
    RE: Recipe Request and ? Old Fashioned Butter Rolls
    Posted by: Cubbybear Posted on: 6/10/2003 10:51:57 AM
    #R1666537

GRANDMOTHER’S OLD FASHIONED BUTTER ROLL

INGREDIENTS
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 cup shortening
    1/2 cup water
    3/4 cup butter, softened
    1/4 cup white sugar
    1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    2 cups milk
    2/3 cup white sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract

DIRECTIONS
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 7x11 inch baking pan.

In a large bowl, mix together flour and salt. Cut shortening in thoroughly with a pastry blender until mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Stir in water and press dough together with your hands. Roll out pastry into a large rectangle. Spread the butter evenly over the pastry, then sprinkle on 1/4 cup sugar and nutmeg. Roll up the dough jelly roll style and pinch to seal. Cut into 12 even slices. Place the rolls in the prepared pan.

In a small saucepan, heat milk, 2/3 cup sugar and vanilla until mixture begins to bubble. Pour milk mixture over rolls.

Bake in preheated oven until brown, about 30 to 40 minutes. Makes 12 servings
    False

• RE:
    RE: Old fashioned recipes - add yours!
    Posted by: Omatje_Calif Posted on: 7/18/2004 10:43:09 AM
    #R4034893

OLD FASHIONED CHOCOLATE BUTTER ROLLS

1 c Sugar
    1/3 c Flour
    1/3 c Cocoa powder
    1/2 ts Vanilla
    1 'gobs' of margarine
    1 Rolled out pie crust
    1 Milk

For one butter roll:
    Mix all ingredients. Spread on pie crust. Roll up like a jelly roll. Put into a greased pan to prevent sticking. Dab margarine on top and pour milk on unitl it is about 1/4 inch deep in pan. Cook until crust is brown and crispy and milk is absorbed. About one hour on 275-300 degrees.

Susan
    False

• RE:
    bump, I've never had them before, but they sure do sound good. Thanks Susan
    False
  • RE:
    Love all the recipes!
    False
  • RE:
    False
  • RE:
    Y'all have my mouth watering and it is too hot to light the oven.
    False
  • Re: "Stickies"

False
  • Re: "Stickies"
    my granddaddy's aunt would make 'stickies' for granddaddy during summers that he stayed with her. she lived in chester, south carolina. we continue to make stickies for his birthday every year. it is a butter and sugar mixture spread on homemade pie crust dough, rolled up into a jelly roll, cut, and baked. so, so good!
    False