Need Ramen Noodle Salad Recipe with RICE vinegar? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Need Ramen Noodle Salad Recipe with RICE vinegar?

Last post May 16, 2006 8:27 AM by Mrs_Lucci_N_FL . 8 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
  • Need Ramen Noodle Salad Recipe with RICE vinegar?
    I had a great salad recently that was made with ramen noodles and cabbage slaw. Anyone have it? I have the broccoli one, but wish I had this one too. Thanks
    False
  • RE: Need Ramen Noodle Salad Recipe with RICE vinegar?
    I see no reason why you couldn't use this with the cabbage slaw mix - and also use the rice vinegar instead of the white wine vinegar as they are similar. I fixed this salad last week and it disappeared on rave reviews. It is delicious!! The dressing superb! I will also post my changes.
    Tria

posted by kspegg

Barbara's Napa Salad

-------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 Large Head Napa Cabbage
    8 Green Onions, Sliced, Both White and Green
    1/2 Cup Oleo (i Used Butter)
    1/2 Cup Sesame Seeds -- (sometimes I just us
    2 Packages Chicken Ramen Noodles (smashed in the Bag,
    3/4 Cup Sliced or Slivered Almonds -- (I like the sliced a
    Dressing:
    1/2 Cup Salad Oil
    2 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
    1/2 Cup Wine Vinegar
    1 Cup Sugar

Cut up the Napa cabbage - start at the end opposite of the stem and chop it about 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick and then tear it apart into bite-sized pieces. Toast the almonds and the noodles and sesame seeds in the oleo till they all get browned - do not under-brown them - they taste so good toasted.

Beat the dressing ingredients all together with an egg beater. I added the seasoning mix from the noodles to this and did it in the blender ~ pegg

Pour dressing over cabbage, almond and noodle mixture, and green onions just before ready to serve.

It is very easy to make and I can eat the whole mess. Good luck. You won't have any to bring home so you better keep out a little bit for a snack.
    False
    Tria
    These are my notes about the salad and the changes I made. I can't wait to make it again.
    This was marvelous - best of this type that I have ever had. I like the Napa - really different and light.
    The toasting of the almonds, noodles, and sesame seeds is very important and I let them get a nice golden brown.
    I heated the dressing ingredients to boiling in the microwave - as I wanted the sugar to be sure and dissolve. By heating it - I didn't have to use the blender or beater - just a whisk. I put it in a jar - chilled it really well - kept in cooler and poured it over the cabbage - adding that with the onions at the last, too. I think it looks rather pretty in a crystal bowl, too!

Pegg is right - you better hold out some if you want any! I got very little but I can't wait to make this again, either.
    It is quite sweet - I "shorted" the sugar just a tad - maybe by an eighth of a cup. You might want to use Splenda if sugar is an issue!
    Tria

False
    Tria
    This is the one I make. It calls for Napa Cabbage, but regular cabbage can be substituted. Really delicious.

Chinese Cabbage Salad

1 large head Chinese Napa cabbage, shredded/chopped
    2 bunches green onion, chopped
    1 (2 oz.) bottle sesame seed
    1 (2 3/4 oz.)package slivered almonds
    2 packages Ramen noodles - Oriental flavor
    1/4 c. butter
    1/2 c. rice vinegar
    1/2 c. sugar
    1/2 c. oil (I use half sesame oil and half veg. oil)
    2 TBS. soy sauce

Combine cabbage and green onions. Chill.
    To make "Crunch" melt butter with oriental seasoning packets from noodles and brown together with sesame seeds, almonds, and broken Ramen noodles. Place on layers of paper towels and set aside to cool.
    To make dressing
    Mix together in saucepan, vinegar, sugar, oil(s), and soy sauce. Bring to a boil and boil 1 minute, stirring to dissolve sugar.
    Remove from heat and refrigerate until needed.
    Toss all together when ready to serve.
    False
    Seeptembermorn - I didn't even think about using the sesame oil with this - I presume you used the light - or maybe since you mixed it - you used the dark. I always keep both as I love the taste in the Asian dishes. I see your recipe also calls for less sugar. The dressing in the other was great - but did have a lot of sugar and that is not always good as so many people need to watch that. I cut it a little - but could probably have cut it more.
    Thanks for posting this! That is a good salad.
    Tria
    False
    Tria
    I know I used Rice vinegar because I didn't have any wine vinegar one time and liked it that way so that's what I use. I forgot to mention it when I posted the recipe.

kspegg
    False

pegg

Tria I don't remember where I got this recipe, but I made a note that I had changed the dressing measurements, so I may have changed the sugar amount. I used the light sesame oil.
    Yes it sure is good. I haven't made it in a while. Now I'm hungry lol.
    False

Oriental Cabbage Salad

1 package ramen noodles,chicken flavor
    1 bag coleslaw mix
    2 green onions,sliced
    2T toasted sesame seeds
    3T vinegar
    2T sugar
    2T salad oil
    1/2t ground white pepper
    1/2 cup slivered almonds,toasted

Crush noodles slightly; place in colander. Pour boiling water over noodles to soften slightly. Drain well. In a large bowl combine noodles,cabbage,onions and sesame seeds.
    For dressing,in a screw-top jar combine seasoning packet from noodles,vinegar,oil,sugar and pepper;shake well to mix. Pour over cabbage mixture and toss. Cover and chill several hours or eat right away. Before serving,stir in almonds.

I have not used the rice wine vinegar before but I bet it would work.
    False
    I just made the previous recipe for a potluck today.... Boy is this stuff good. We're having a B'b'cue at work today, so I thought this would be a nice addition.

What amazes me is how really inexpensive the dish is. I doubled the recipe. My cabbage was about .19 a lb -- and so maybe there's .40 in cabbage... the ramen noodles were .10 a piece... so another .40 -- and then the green onion couldn't have been too much -- I just used sunflower seeds that were 1.19 for 1 1/2 cups and then the dressing. If there's $3 in this dish -- that'll feed 10 easily -- I'd be surprised.

When I make Bruschett or Salsa, I spend about $10 easily.

Too good not to share!
    False