Do you need to wash iceberg lettuce? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Do you need to wash iceberg lettuce?

Last post Jun 06, 2012 1:18 PM by miami101 . 26 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 2 of 2 (27 items) 12
  • Re: RE: Do you need to wash iceberg lettuce?
    As these tight heads of lettuce are growing, there are bugs crawling on them and chemicals sprayed on them.......and you don't want to wash them?? And these heads of lettuce did not jump from the fields into those bags, somebody with hands (hopefully clean hands, but we don't know) has handled it.
    False

I core it, wash it, drain it & store it in my very old Tupperware lettuce keeper.  And, I also wash off bagged salads....seems to me a lot of outbreaks of illnesses are traced to lettuce & other produce.

False

For those of you who NEVER wash your lettuce, think this one over.  For years we have lived in produce-growing regions of the country and watch the migrant workers that are harvesting vegetable crops URINATE right on the lettuce, cabbage, tomatoes,  onions, herbs, etc.  Never shows once it dries !!  You want to consume THAT rather than take the time to wash it ??? No thank you !  AND, how frequently do you think the PRE-WASHED water gets changed  where the vegetables are processed.....I wash that, as well.

False

Marilyn

Oh my.Surprise

You Definitely need to wash Iceburg lettuce.

~A

False

Susan-Serving as a Taste Of Home Field Editor since 2009

Not washing your lettuce is why we have so many e. coli outbreaks. You don't know who is handling your food and from my experiences in the world of food, MOST people DON"T wash their hands. And in other countries they spray human and animal *** for fertilizer. You have a big set if you don't wash your stuff. Good Luck to you.
    False

When the tides of life are against you

And the current upsets your boat

Don't think of things that might have been

Just lay on your back and float

Ed Norton     1954

The Honeymooners

Iceberg lettuce...nasty stuff!    lol   Never buy it. Other varieties are so much better than iceberg in my opinion. Whatever kind you buy, washing is a good idea. Then wrap in tin foil. Lettuce keeps longer in foil than in the plastic bag or just sitting naked in the veggie bin.

Motorhomegal...after reading your post I am tempted to return the red leaf lettuce I just bought this morning.

False

Naw....just WASH it thoroughly !!  Don't you remember the green onion episode three or four years ago ??  Happened not far from us.

False

Marilyn

• Re: Do you need to wash iceberg lettuce?

It is important to keep in mind lettuce is not the only Carrier of E Coli and foodborne illnesses:

HUMAN, ANIMAL WASTE THREATENS PRODUCE

The U.S. FDA came out with guidelines for the safe handling of fresh fruits and vegetables on April 10, 1998  with media coverage, including this summary that the biggest food safety risk for fresh fruits and vegetables as they are grown, picked or processed comes from human and animal waste,.

U.S. health officials have documented a soaring number of foodborne illnesses linked to raspberries, lettuce, alfalfa sprouts, cantaloupes, mesclun and other produce.

The 34-page draft guidelines urged growers to give workers lessons on basic hygiene such as using soap to wash their hands, covering lesions or wounds that could come into contact with produce, and using only clean toilets.

The FDA guidelines identified "the major source of contamination" for fresh produce as human or animal ***.

Lou Carson, the interim director of the Food Safety Initiative launched last autumn by President Clinton, was quoted as saying, "We think just proper controls and proper attention to detail would make a big difference in food safety. It is our belief that these guidelines would not be very costly."

But grower groups disagreed with the FDA's assessment that human and animal *** are the biggest risk of contamination as produce is grown, picked and packaged.

Stacey Zawal, an official with United Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Association was quoted as saying, "Most foodborne disease outbreaks that happen further down the distribution line are due to fecal contamination because people preparing food are not properly washing their hands. That is not necessarily true for growers and packers."

The FDA recommendations are due to be finalized by the FDA later this year for use by U.S. and foreign growers. The matter of encouraging foreign growers to adopt the guidelines remains somewhat tricky but FDA officials say it is vital because of the huge amount of imported produce.

Disinfectants, sanitizers, ionizing treatments and ultraviolet radiation may be useful for some produce.

False

Susan-Serving as a Taste Of Home Field Editor since 2009

I use a salad spinner, then I pat it a bit with paper towel, put in a bowl with two layers of paper towel on top, put the lid on and store in the fridge upside down for a hour or so.  You will not have soggy lettuce.  You can further liven up your lettuce by placing that same bowl you stored it in inside another bowl with ice and bring the ice up around the edges of the bowl a bit.  Hope this helps you.

False

I always remember what my brother, who was a chef in a NYC restaurant, that a good restaurant washes their lettuce in salt water.  It brings the bugs and other creepy crawly things to the top of the water.  He says you can tell the difference b/c you can taste a little bit of salt.  He also washes all his veggies in citric acid, to take off coatings and kill germs.

False
    I always wash it and then spin it since I have seen small bugs deep inside the leaves. Ususally I do buy the bags though.
    False

The U.S. FDA came out with guidelines for the safe handling of fresh fruits and vegetables on April 10, 1998  with media coverage, including this summary that the biggest food safety risk for fresh fruits and vegetables as they are grown, picked or processed comes from human and animal waste,.

I think our government is still not doing enough although they adopted those guidelines. For example, did you know that our vegies and fruits are being transported to us on wooden pallets? The other day I read that those wood pallets pose food safety risks. So, yes, you definitely need to iceberg lettuce, there is no doubt about it!

Source: http://www.pallettruth.com/food-safety-risks/

False