Recipes for tenderized round steak | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Recipes for tenderized round steak

Last post Jul 07, 2011 3:12 AM by chickensoupNE . 14 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
  • Recipes for tenderized round steak
    I have several packages of tenderized round steak in the freezer. I would appreciate some good recipes so I can start using it up.Thanks!
    False
  • RE: Recipes for tenderized round steak
    Round Steak with Gravy

1 to 1 ½ pounds tenderized round steak
    1 envelope brown gravy mix
    1 can (1 pound) stewed tomatoes
    1 cup chopped celery, optional
    1/4 cup chopped bell pepper, optional
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

Brown round steak in skillet. Place in a shallow casserole dish.

Combine the rest of the ingredients in a small bowl. Pour over the steak. Cover and bake at 350 degrees F for 1 1/2 hours.

Serve with mashed potatoes.

False
    Chicken Fried Steak

2 pounds thin, tenderized round steak, in 4 pieces
    2 cups flour, seasoned
    1 tablespoon baking powder
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 cup milk
    1 egg
    Peanut oil for frying
    Salt and pepper

Salt and pepper the meat. Put the flour, baking powder and soda in a bowl and blend. Beat the egg and milk together. Dredge the meat in the flour and pass through egg mixture and again dredge in flour, patting lightly to help flour adhere. Heat oil at a depth of 1 inch in a heavy skillet. Heat to 325 degrees and brown the steaks for about 4 minutes per side. Drain and serve with sauce or gravy.
    False
    You can't go wrong with swiss steak. I just lightly season the steak with some garlic powder and lightly flour it. Then I brown it on both sides in equal parts of shortening and butter. Remove from the pan and saute green peppers and onions in the pan until tender. Add the steak and cover with chopped canned tomatoes. Cover and simmer until the steak is cooked. Usually about 30 minutes depending. My family loves this with some mashed potatoes and green beans on the side. I'm sorry I can't give you exact measurements, but I just fly by the seat of my pants, so to speak. LOL!

I also use the leftovers, if there are any, in beef stew. Which is what I'm doing tonight.
    False
    Swiss Steak

1 medium round steak, tenderized
    2 cans beef broth
    salt and pepper, to taste
    flour
    olive oil

Take one medium round steak. Cut into serving size pieces. Coat the steak with a mixture of flour, salt and pepper. Brown meat in hot skillet with 1/2 cup olive oil. Brown on both sides to seal in juices.

Remove meat from skillet. Add flour to oil and drippings in pan to thicken. Add 2 cans of beef broth. Simmer till thick. Put meat into casserole dish, cover with gravy, cover and bake in 300 oven for 3-4 hours until very tender. Serve with homemade mashed potatoes.

False
    Swiss Steak

1 medium round steak, tenderized
    2 cans beef broth
    salt and pepper, to taste
    flour
    olive oil

Take one medium round steak. Cut into serving size pieces. Coat the steak with a mixture of flour, salt and pepper. Brown meat in hot skillet with 1/2 cup olive oil. Brown on both sides to seal in juices.

Remove meat from skillet. Add flour to oil and drippings in pan to thicken. Add 2 cans of beef broth. Simmer till thick. Put meat into casserole dish, cover with gravy, cover and bake in 300 oven for 3-4 hours until very tender. Serve with homemade mashed potatoes.

False
    sorry about the computer hick-up
    False
    SWISS STEAK

round steak, pounded and cut into serving size pieces
    flour
    1 pkg. onion soup (w/mushrooms optional)
    shortening

After trimming fat and cutting into serving size pieces, I simply pound
    the meat on both sides until tender and dredge in flour. In electric skillet, heat shortening until melted and hot. Add floured meat and brown well on both sides, removing browned pieces and adding more until all meat is browned. Remove meat from pan and drain grease. Add meat back to the pan and add one package of dry onion soup mix (with or without mushrooms). Add water to cover.

Simmer, covered, 2-3 hours or longer; the longer the better! Add water if necessary during cooking. The soup and water will thicken as it cooks and no thickening will be necessary.

It's easy, it's really good, and no tomatoes! LOL....

~~susie.
    False

this is one of our favorites - done in a crock pot I LOVE it over rice..but potatoes are good too...

round steak with gravy

2 1/2 pounds beef round steaks
    1 package dry onion soup mix
    1/2 can water (soup can)
    1 (10 3/4-ounce) can cream of mushroom soup

Must cook in a slow cooker - add dry onion soup mix, water, and canned soup together. Cut steak into 5-6 servings. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours. Makes it own gravy - Excellent served over rice or mashed potatoes. very quick and easy - and oh so good...
    False
    TFA, welcome to the BB. You will love it here!!! Just jump in and enjoy yourself!!! What an addiction!!?? LOL
    Where are you from? I am from SE Iowa.
    ceeare
    False
    Our family's version of Swiss Steak is to flour and brown the minute steaks, brown in oil, remove and put in baking dish...slice rings of onions on top of the minute steaks.

Then separately in mixing bowl, add about 1 cup ketchup (You could use a small can of tomato sauce), some lemon juice, some Worcestershire, and a small handful of brown sugar!

Pour over the minute steaks and onions, cover and bake at 350' for about an hour!

Serve over mashed potatoes....Yumm!!! And the leftovers are better than the originals!
    False
    I can't give you amounts but this is what my Mom did one Sunday when we got unexpected company. I'll bet she did it about 45 years ago and we still like it this way. Flour and brown serving size pieces of round steak. Set the steak pieces aside. Saute a generous amount of sliced onions in the same skillet. When they are sauted put the steak pieces back in. Add a couple of cups of water. Cover and put in a 350° oven for about 45 minutes. Open a can of peas and carrots. If you need the liquid in the skillet add the whole can. If you have enough liquid drain and just add the vegetables. Return to oven and continue to cook about 15 minutes. Then top with a tube of refrigerator rolls like Grands. Do not cover and return to oven. Cook until rolls are golden brown. Serve with mashed potatoes and a salad. Yummy!!

Welcome to the BB from north central Indiana. Carol
    False

Carol

My mother fixes swiss steak very similarly to staceyk. She pounds flour into her steak and, after browning, covers the steak with tomato sauce and water. She adds some chili powder (and possibly some worcestershire sauce), but not enough to make it a "chili" or spaghetti sauce. She simmers the sauce until it makes a thick "gravy". The steak is very tender. She usually serves it with mashed potatoes and green beans. The sauce from the steak is good to cover the steak and potatoes. This is my choice of birthday suppers (we get our choice of meals on our b-day). Yum!
    False

Stick out tongue

False

This is a recipe I found after I bought a bottle of Country Bob's All Purpose Sauce.  It has become one of our "go-to" recipes.  I have found Country Bob's at Walmart and at the local Kroger (food4Less).  It's not expensive, and it's different than any other steak sauce I've had.  

DEVILED SWISS STEAK

1 1/2 to 2 lbs bottom round steak (we use tenderized)

2 T flour

1 tsp dry mustard

1/2 tsp pepper

2 T oil

1/4 cup Country Bob's All Purpose Sauce

1 cup beef broth

1/2 lb mushrooms, sliced

Mix flour, mustard, and pepper and pound into both sides of beef. Brown in the oil. Add Country Bob's All Purpose Sauce and beef broth and simmer 1 hour*. Add mushrooms and cook for an additional 1/2 hour.

*If you use round steak that isn't tenderized, simmer for 2 1/2 hours.  

False