Mother/Daughter banquet idea Please | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Mother/Daughter banquet idea Please

Last post Mar 24, 2011 10:42 AM by Phyllis Whited . 17 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 12
  • Mother/Daughter banquet idea Please
    For our church mother daughter banquet we are in charge of decorating a table and preparing the dessert for that table. Some people are doing a remember when theme. I just know you will have a great idea thanks
    False
  • RE: Mother/Daughter banquet idea Please
    well if your doing a remember when...see if you have some elderly people in your family or church whom would part with a few things. That would let others try and wonder/ponder what they are or be amazed at how and when. You could actually have a guessing game as part of the fun. Or see if a local antique store would let you use a few items on borrow time for the gathering.
    From an old heavy iron that set on the stove to iron. To hat pin, to hair curler, to a pair of gloves, to a hat, to different cooking utensils, or the list could go on and on. to decorate the table you need to arrange. Get a few flowers and make them tall. Set some of the things of old that mother's would have used neatly arranged around the flowers on the table. With a vintage or lace table cloth hanging underneath it all.

Also you could have each person also bring an old time recipe. That they love and have someone in charge that could gather them and copy for each person to have.

Or make a game of remember when...on mothers of the Bible..see whom can remember which mother did what and when or where in the Bible.

Or have each lady bring a photo of a baby either them or there daughter. And see whom can think of whom is who in the photographs.

as for desserts the ideas are endless..but you could pick some old time ones that some people might remember growing up with there mothers or daughters in the house they made.
    False
    Old clocks make beautiful centerpieces. I did this last year. We surroundeed them with old watches and gloves hankies and jewelry. It was stunning. I used to have a poem (or something) about "remember beech-nut gum, penny candy....etc." It was fun to see how many things I knew about. If you're interested- I'll look for it.

Belinda
    False
    Is each table going to have a different theme or are all the tables going with the "Remember When?" theme?
    False
    One year some of the ladies chose a missionary family so that all of them were represented, and decorated a table according to were their missionary was located. It was quite fun.

Last year we took the 12 months of the year and 2 ladies did a table acording to each months theme. Quite pretty.

This year we are doing the same using
    In the Garden - Growing in Grace, so our tables will be decorated with a garden theme.

One year we had a salad brunch.

Hope these help.

Cherie - IN †
    False
    Thanks for the ideas-- not everyone will use the remember when theme, but those are great ideas.
    False
    How about baby picture's of the members that is coming and see if you can guess who it who.Maybe some old 78 records.Picture's of old farm house's and maybe picture's of your church when it was first build.

~Cubbybear~
    False
    In loving memory of Suzy
    My SIL said that in her DIL's church they set the tables with real china and cloth napkins and simple flower arrangements, real silver ware and lovely water glasses. a nice dessert would be lemon bars on nice lacy dollies. Hope you have fun no matter what idea you come up with...Shirley
    False
    I'm not sure if you want to go with the Remember When theme or not, so don't know if my reply is appropriate.

So, if you did a Remember When, then I think you have some good ideas here.

If not, how about a "think Spring" idea? You could decorate with flower pots, garden tools, packages of seeds etc and make a "Dirt Cake" for dessert or a lovely lemon and cream torte, or strawberry shortcake, etc.

Or, a "Chocolate" theme as chocolate is essential to most women. YOu can decorate with different choc bars from the past, or with choc ornaments, etc. . . .and have a choc fondue for dessert.
    False
    Cute ideas!
    False
    I liked the idea of remembering the "antique" type items..but keep in mind lots of those daughters even those now moms themselvs have lived in a different remember when then many of us.

A dial telephone might be a novelty to some!

False
    toothlady, this is the first I have seen your request. I had asked for suggestions for games for a Mother/Daughter banquet at church. I got several helpful replies and also a website that has a lot of ideas for themes, games, songs, decorations, etc. I'm posting it for you.
    www.creativeladiesministry.com
    Hope you find it helpful and good luck with your banquet.
    Joann
    False
    How about a patriotic theme with everything red, white and blue? Apple pie would be a good dessert or maybe a nice fruit plate.
    False
  • Re: RE: Mother/Daughter banquet idea Please

Do happen to have a list or the game where you did the mothers of the Bible?  We are having our Mother/Daughter Dinner on 05/10/2010 and I am in charge of the program and thought this would be a good game to play.  Thanks for your help

False
  • Re: RE: Mother/Daughter banquet idea Please

How about the breast cancer pink ribbon theme. It would be easy to get pink things with ribbons and there are lots of pink desserts.

False
    To everything there is a Time, Season and Purpose