Flammkuchen recipe? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Flammkuchen recipe?

Last post Apr 26, 2005 11:11 PM by TexasroseII . 6 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
  • Flammkuchen recipe?
    A friend of mine just visited Germany and had a wonderful appetizer called Flammkuchen. Would anyone have the recipe? Thanks
    False
  • RE: Flammkuchen recipe?
    I hve a recipe for pflaume kuchen, which is a dessert. It is a crust with plums in it. Is this the recipe
    you are looking for? Brenda

False
    Yes! They had the savory type with onions and thick bacon and a sour cream type topping, but they told her the sweet version was made with fruit. There are plenty of recipes on a websearch but they are all written in German!!! I would love to have your recipe to try the sweet version!!! Thanks Sandy
    False
    Casandy, Pflaumekuchen means plum tart in German.
    False
    Here is the savory kuchen your friends might have eaten.

Zwiebelkuchen
    (onion tart)

pastry:
    2 cup sifted flour
    1 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp salt 3/4 cup butter
    1 med egg, beaten
    1 tbl cream, optional
    1 unbeaten egg white

Combine flour, baking powder and salt. Chop in the butter and work with fingers until mealy. Add the egg and blend until consistency of pie dough. Add cream if dough is not moist enough. Working lightly, pat into bottom and sides of 9" layer-cake pan. Brush with egg white (this prevents crust from becoming soggy).

Filling:
    2 cups chopped onion (4 large)
    2 slices bacon, diced
    2 tablespoons butter
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon caraway seeds (optional)
    1/2 tablespoon flour
    1/2 cup heavy cream
    2 medium eggs, beaten

Cook onion and bacon in butter until very soft. Add salt and caraway seeds.

Stir in flour and slowly add cream. Remove from heat. Add a little of mixture to eggs, then combine the two. Spoon into pastry-lined cake pan. Bake in 375 degree oven until pastry is crisp and golden and filling is firm. Sometimes a yeast dough is used.

Sometimes bacon is omitted and a mixture of 1/4 cup sour cream and 1 beaten egg is poured over onions before baking.

False
    Texasrose, thanks! This one is it I believe!! My friend will be delighted!!! Sandy
    False
    Sandy, I hope she likes it. If Brenda doesn't come back with her recipe for the plum tart, I found one in my best German cookbook that I will post for you if you would still like that one too.

BTW, feel free to stop by the German Corner thread any time you are looking for a recipe, or any time at all. We've got some good cooks over there who love to share good recipes.
    False