sand hill plum jelly | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

sand hill plum jelly

Last post Apr 24, 2010 11:11 PM by jbettesKS . 6 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
  • sand hill plum jelly
    I think you can only find these plums around kansas and missouri. I used to use the recipe on sure-jell for plums. But they changed the amount of juice and sugar and it doesn't set up for me anymore. I still have an old sure jell and have followed that recipe, but Its just not turning out. (and yes I talked to sure jell and they were no help)
    False
  • RE: sand hill plum jelly
    Does your recipe look similar to this?

Sandhill Plum Jelly

5-1/2 cups prepared Sandhill plum juice

1 box Suregel powdered pectin

7-1/2 cups sugar

• Bring the juice and pectin to full boil in large 6 quart pot. Dump in all of the at once and return to a full rolling boil and boil for one minute. Skim off the foam and pour into 10 sterile half pint jars. Seal with sterile 2 piece lids and process at least 5 minutes in a boiling water bath.

------------------------

You can also request information from The National Center for Home Food Preservation and see if they have a safe/tested recipe using sandhill plums. Their URL is: http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/

False
    The old recipe was 5 1/2 cups juice and 6 1/2 sugar the new one is 6cups juice and 8 cups sugar. What a difference. Thanks
    False
    This is my very favorite jelly! Thank You!!!
    False
    When I seen your post for Sand Hill Plum Jelly, I wondered if you were from KS. My MIL use to can them.
    When my Ex and I had gotten married and we were stationed in CO Spings, she gave us some quart jars of plums she had canned years before.
    I had never heard of them until then and didn't know much about what to do with them. My ex (Cecil) wasn't real fond of them, so I decided to try making a sauce to put over some pound cake.
    I made it, and he still didn't want any. So after eating s serving myself, I decided not to let it go to wste and gave my neighbor some for her and her 2 little boys, and I gave a couple from our church a jar to take home. A few days later Ron & Mel asked me if I was trying to get them drunk. When I asked why, he said the Sand Hill Plums were fermented. OOPPSS!! It was too late the neighbor and her boys thought the sauce tasted good.
    Needless to say we dumped the rest of the jars.
    I was mortified.

Cherie - IN †
    False

False
    You are welcome to visit my blog...http://cherryblossomtable.blogspot.com/
  • Re: RE: sand hill plum jelly

I'm so glad I found this recipe. My mom used to make this jelly/jam. I didn't have a chance to get it because she passed unexpectedly. I grew up in western Ks, and she used to make this every other year or so. She even sent me some when I was stationed in Germany. Mom and dad had a fire, then a few months after she passed the tornado destroyed Greensburg, so if the recipe survived the fire, it didn't survive the tornado.

False