Need recipe from Better Homes and Gardens cookbook | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Need recipe from Better Homes and Gardens cookbook

Last post Apr 28, 2005 8:54 AM by erma59 . 13 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
  • Need recipe from Better Homes and Gardens cookbook
    I'm visiting my ds and dil and want to make the rhubarb CUSTARD pie from Better Homes and Gardens cookbook. My dil has Betty Crocker but not Better Homes. Could someone please post that pie recipe for me. Thanks, Ginny.
    False
  • RE: Need recipe from Better Homes and Gardens cookbook
    Here's the recipe on the Better Homes and Gardens web site:

http://www.bhg.com/recipe/recipedetail.jhtml?recipeId=mem470600000
    False
    Now I'm really confused. I went on that website and that isn't the recipe I usually use. My B.Homes cookbook is really old so I wonder if they changed the rhubarb pie recipe. The one I use has nutmeg in it, using 4 cups of rhubarb etc. Help anyone? Ginny
    False
    my bh&g cookbook ha 6 cups of rhubarb and 1/2 tsp. of cinnamon in it. but it's a newer book. i'll see if i still have my old one around somewhere.
    False

Thanks, Footsie, I'd really appreciate that. Ginny
    False
    My BH&G cookbook has Rhubarb "Cream" Pie, but not Custard.

John
    False

John

John

“Then He'll call me some day to my home far away, where His Glory forever I'll share.”
    I found this on the internet, but I'm not sure if it's BH&G's though.

John

Rhubarb Custard Pie

1 pound rhubarb, rinsed and sliced
    1 (9-inch) unbaked pie crust
    1 cup granulated sugar
    3 large eggs
    1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350°F.
    Place rhubarb evenly in pie crust; set aside.
    In a mixing bowl, combine sugar, flour, cinnamon, and salt; set aside. In a glass measuring cup, whisk together eggs and vanilla, then blend with sugar mixture. Pour over rhubarb and bake for 30 minutes or until rhubarb is tender and center is set. Remove from oven and let cool.
    Makes 8 servings.

False

John

John

“Then He'll call me some day to my home far away, where His Glory forever I'll share.”
    John, this seems pretty close to what I'm looking for. Mine had nutmeg in it, but I'm sure I can improvise. Thanks much, Ginny.
    False
    Rhubarb Custard Pie
    From Better Homes And Garden's New Cookbook, 1976

Mix 1-1/2 cups sugar, 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg, and dash of salt. Add to 3 beaten eggs; beat smooth. Stir in 4 cups (1" slices) rhubarb.

Prepare pastry for 9" lattice-top pie. Line 9" pie plate with pastry. Fill with rhubarb mixture. Dot with 2 Tbsp. butter. Adjust lattice top; seal. Bake at 400ºF. for 50 minutes.

Chefly
    False
    This one is from the BH&G website.

John

Rhubarb Cream Pie

Ingredients:
    Pastry for Double-Crust Pie (see recipe below)
    1-1/2 to 2 cups sugar
    1/4 cup all-purpose flour
    1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    Dash salt
    4 cups fresh or frozen unsweetened chopped rhubarb
    2 slightly beaten eggs
    2 tablespoons half-and-half or light cream or milk
    Milk and sugar (optional)

Directions:
    1. On a lightly floured surface, roll out half of the pastry and fit into a 9-inch pie plate. Trim to 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate for lattice top, or trim even with rim for a two-crust pie.
    2. In mixing bowl, combine 1-1/2 to 2 cups sugar, flour, cinnamon, and salt. Add the rhubarb. Gently toss until coated. (For frozen fruit, let stand for 15 to 30 minutes or until partially thawed, but icy.)
    3. In a small bowl, whisk together eggs and cream. Pour over fruit; toss to mix. Transfer to the pasty-lined pie plate.
    4. On a lightly floured surface, roll out remaining dough into a 12-inch circle and cut slits for steam to escape or cut into 1/2-inch-wide strips for lattice top. Place pastry over filling and weave strips over top for lattice. Press ends of strips into crust rim and fold bottom pastry over strips. For a two-crust pie, trim top crust to 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate; fold extra pastry under bottom pastry and flute edge. If you like, make leaf cutouts from pastry scraps and place on pie; brush top crust with milk and sprinkle with additional sugar.
    5. To prevent overbrowning, cover edge of pie with foil. Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 25 minutes for fresh fruit (50 minutes for frozen). Remove foil. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes more or until top is golden. Cool on wire rack. Makes 8 servings.

Cont...
    False

John

John

Pastry for Double-Crust Pie: In a large bowl, stir together 2 cups all-purpose flour and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in 2/3 cup shortening until pieces are pea-size. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of cold water over part of the mixture; gently toss with a fork. Push moistened dough to the side of the bowl. Repeat moistening dough, using 1 tablespoon cold water at a time, until all the dough is moistened (6 to 7 tablespoons cold water total). Divide dough in half. Form each half into a ball. Proceed as directed in recipe method.

Nutritional Information
    Nutritional facts per serving
    calories: 451, total fat: 19g, cholesterol: 55mg, sodium: 171mg, carbohydrate: 65g
    False

John

John

Chefly-I think that's the exact recipe. Thanks, John, too for the pie crust recipe. Gosh with all this knowledge, maybe I'll make 2 or 3 pies today!!lol Ginny
    False
    Dianne's Rhubarb Custard Pie #31715
    This is an old family recipe that has been handed down, most recently from my mother Dianne to me. It is hard to find pies like this anymore. I think Martha Stewart would approve.
    3 eggs, beaten slightly
    2 2/3 tablespoons milk
    2 cups sugar
    1 dash nutmeg
    4 tablespoons flour
    4 cups rhubarb, cut into 1 inch pieces (fresh or frozen)
    butter
    pie crust

1 hour 10 minutes 10 mins prep
    Mix milk and eggs together.
    Mix flour, sugar, and nutmeg and add to milk and eggs.
    Beat all together.
    Add rhubarb blending well.
    Fill pastry lined pan.
    Dot with butter.
    Lattice top crust optional.
    Bake 400 till brown; Approximately 1 hour.
    False

pegg

kspegg-That sounds really good. It is very similar to the one I use. My dh thinks there's nothing better than rhubarb custard pie. Thanks, Ginny.
    False