bleach in dish water??? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

bleach in dish water???

Last post Apr 30, 2005 7:29 PM by winkyPA . 15 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 12
  • bleach in dish water???
    I serve food at an elementary school. We were sent to a class for restaurant cooks. The person talking said if you put bleach in with your dish soap that they "cancel each other out". Does anyone know if this is true?
    False
  • RE: bleach in dish water???
    I have never heard that. I put a little in mine and it does fine.
    False
    Never head od that. I always put bleach in with dawn. Dishes aren't clean without.
    False
    sprinkles
    I was told long ago when I was a private caregiver to put bleech in my dish water.
    False
    That sounds rediculous. Can't think of one chemical reason that should happen.
    False
    I hope you wear gloves. The slippery feel that a strong bleach solution gives you fingers is actually your skin melting. Chlorine melts skin, just takes a microscope to see it actually happening on the small scale like what is added to dishwater. The slippery feel is the skin cells dissolving.
    False
    Acids (like vinegar) and bases (like baking soda) can "cancel each other out" and make a ph neutral solution, but bleach and soap cannot do that. I think soap is basic but I don't think bleach is acidic. And even if they were, the goal of dish washing is not to make a neutral solution, but to clean dishes. And when you're trying to make dishes clean and disinfected, bleach will do it by killing bacteria. Vinegar will also kill some bacteria but I don't know how strong to make the solution. Don't you just love "old wives tales"?
    False
    Actually, if you look on the back of the detergent bottle, it says not to use it with chlorine bleach.
    False
    When we were in the restaurant business, it was mandatory by the Health Dept. to use bleach. I use it at home all the time. It doesn't take very much, not like using it in your clothes washer, use about 2 Tablespoons.
    False
    i put bleach in mine at least once month. in fact, my liquid cascade has bleach in it!
    False

Something I forgot to mention - never mix bleach with ammonia, it makes very poisonour amonium chloride gas & can kill you.
    False
    When I was a bartender we had a three compartment sink - one for soapy water, one for rinse water and one for bleach solution!

was told never to mix the soap and bleach together!

Ginny
    False
    Just when the Caterpillar thought her world was over ............ She became a Butterfly I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way. - Jessica Rabbit
    WARNING for this...one night I had left my sponges in a bleach solution in the dishpan....my sweet DD got up super early to make me a surprise Valentine's Day breakfast. By the time I got up, there was dishsoap in the sink & I didn't think anything of it. That morning, I left the dishes in the sink. When I got back & emptied them to put fresh dish soap I pulled out a silver spoon and a silverplate fork-- both compeletely ruined by the bleach. I had no idea my DD hadn't emptied the bleachy water first & it didn't cross my mind to ask (it was shortly after 5:00 a.m., after all!). I will NEVER tell her about it, it would break her heart!
    False
    When I use to own a little cafe we was told to use 3 sinks. First was hot soapy water, the next with bleach and the last with clear water. When the health department came in they would test the water to make sure that there was bleach only in the center sink. Also they was very concerned on the amount used. They counted off for too much as well as too little.

Nancy

False

Blessed are those that can give without remembering and take without forgetting.

I have never heard of putting bleach in the dishwater, but have been in commercial kitchens where we washed dishes, then rinsed in clear water, then bleach water to sanitize them. Then we had to air dry the dishs ( so the bleach had time to work???). Anyway, I have always been told to not combine bleach with dishsoap, can't tell you why.
    False