RUMP ROAST IN PRESSURE COOKER | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

RUMP ROAST IN PRESSURE COOKER

Last post Mar 12, 2014 5:36 PM by Kasha . 9 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
  • RUMP ROAST IN PRESSURE COOKER
    If any of you want to try this, it is really delicious. I put a 3lb rump roast into the pressure cooker with 2 cups broth (I mixed one cup chicken & 1 cup beef); added 1 cut-up onion, paprika, garlic, seasoned salt and blk pepper and cooked it for 1 hr. I thickened the broth a bit with some Wondra flour - not too thick. The beef was super tender and the gravy delicious - I mashed up the onion pieces when whisking the Wondra in. I didn't have any carrots on hand (my dog ate the last 3!!), but next time I'll add that too. So easy, so quick and sooooo good.
    False
  • RE: RUMP ROAST IN PRESSURE COOKER
    False
    ingredients sound good, BUT why so long ,1 hour.?

I've used a pressure for going on 45 yrs, now and for that size of rump roast I always browned it first, then added Liptons recipe secrets (dry onions or dry mushroom soup mix) BUT if it under 15 LBS of pressure, I've only cooked mine for only 15-20 min.

lots of times I too would put in potatoes & carrots.

DID YOU BROWN YOUR MEAT FIRST IN lite oil? I do !

be care not to add to much liquid, never go past the 3/4 mark of your pressure cooker.

Good luck, I'll try your the paprika & oinion flakes are good too,& garlic powder, & I just tried that ingredients w/Worchester sauce, yesterday But in the slow cooker, but I am going back to my pressure cooker.for sure even though it was tender, but I need to know when my meals are ready.

PAula
    False
    Hi - I followed the directions in the booklet with the cooker and mine is that 15lb pressure pot and called for 45 mins per 3lb roast - I let it go an extra 15 mins to 1 hour and it was perfect. Normally I'd brown it, but I was on the fly, so I just threw in what I had. It said I only needed 3/4 cup liquid, but used 2 cups - my husband loves gravy and I used the leftover gravy for some cubed steak I cooked up 2 days later for hot sandwiches. Onion soup mix is also great, I agree, but he is the fussiest eater - no salt, no this, no that...I'm happy when I hit on something that works!!
    False
    Your dog will eat carrots?

WOW!!!
    False
    How much paprika, season salt etc. do you use?
    False

When I used my pressure cooker to make a rump roast, it usually was still partially frozen. I used a rump and a chuck roast. I would sear the meats, then mix a packet each of ranch dressing mix, Good Seasons dressing mix, and brown gravy mix, and use half of that. I also add some Worcestershire sauce and some onion. I would add water to about halfway up the side, and cook at 30 minute intervals until it was tender. Then I would remove the meat, and using a jar with a top would make a slurry with cold water, flour, a bit of dry milk powder and a couple of ice cubes and shake it up really good. Then add a bit of corn starch and stir some into the gravy until it was as thick as I liked. Don't shake the slurry after adding the corn starch, just stir it in. No real measurements, because it depended on the amount of liquid in the cooker. The ice cubes work like the beads in nail polish, it helps to break up any clumps in the slurry. I know that Wondra flour would help to reduce the lumps, but I already keep 3 kinds of flour on hand most of the time.

False
  • Re: RUMP ROAST IN PRESSURE COOKER

Ok, love that you didn't brown the meat. I know a lot of times it's better if you do, but if it comes out that good not doing that step then what the heck!

Thank-you, I'll give this a try.

False

I recently dusted off my pressure cooker and I would love to cook a roast in it. This recipe sounds perfect. Thanks for posting and all the great comments.
    False

Land of the Free....because of the Brave Click for Fort Worth, Texas Forecast

Proud Field Editor for Taste of Home for 16-1/2 years.

Put this on the list to try!
    False