What vegetable goes well with pork tenderloin? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

What vegetable goes well with pork tenderloin?

Last post Dec 14, 2012 11:02 AM by everythings taken . 16 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 12
  • What vegetable goes well with pork tenderloin?
    I am having MIL over for dinner and am stuck.

Thanks,
    KE
    False
  • RE: What vegetable goes well with pork tenderloin?
    cump
    False
    These were the tastiest fresh green beans I've found so far! I didn't have a whole pound, but made it according to the recipe anyway.

Wonderful, Richard, thank you!

Posted by: Hadaplan
    Posted on: 3/5/2004 8:14:36 AM
    #T314724
    In Pendleton, Oregon (where they make the shirts and blankets) there is a restaurant called "Stetson's House of Prime". They specialize in steaks and prime rib, but also feature salmon, halibut, oysters and pasta. Their side-dish of green beans is really good. You should try this recipe at least once.

Use fresh green beans if you possibly can. Otherwise, you can use high-quality canned green beans (not all markets carry the really good ones). Fresh beans are better for this recipe. This recipe makes 4-6 side dishes.

Stetson Steakhouse Green Beans

4 strips bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces

1 1.1-ounce envelope of au jus mix

3 cups water

1 tablespoon garlic powder

¾ teaspoon black pepper

Pinch white pepper

2 14.5-ounce cans whole green beans, drined, or 1 pound fresh green beans, trimmed

In a large frying pan, fry the bacon until crisp. Remove to a paper towel to drain, reserving drippings. When the bacon is cool, crumble and set aside.

In a large saucepan add au jus mix, water, garlic powder and peppers and the bacon drippings. Stir well and bring to a boil. Add green beans and heat for 3 or 4 minutes if using canned green beans. If using fresh green beans, bring to a boil and cook until tender, about 8 to 10 minutes. Served with topped bacon.
    False

Posted by: suzycreamcheese_MI Replies: 4 Posted on: 3/28/2005 8:25:32 AM
    #T496233
    Pip_OH posted this about a year ago and it's a QC recipe. I've made and reviewed it before, but it's worth repeating -- it was a hit again with my Easter dinner! I've made it with canned and frozen corn and we think it's best with frozen -- especially Market Day frozen corn!

Buttery Corn Casserole

2 eggs, lightly beaten
    5 oz. can evaporated milk
    3 Tbs. butter, melted, divided
    2 cans whole corn, drained
    2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
    1 cup butter flavored cracker crumbs (like Ritz or Town House)

In a large bowl mix together the eggs, evaporated milk and 2 tbs. of the butter. Stir in corn, cheese and 1/2 c of the cracker crumbs. Pour into a lightly greased 11 x 7 baking dish. Toss the remaining cracker crumbs and butter and sprinkle over top. Bake at 350 for 25 to 30 minutes.

QC March/April 04

False

These green beans sound very good, we love green beans and it would be a nice change from the usual method of cooking them with jowl, onions etc.
    I need to find some new vegetable dishes to try, we are trying to eat a little healthier but with all of these wonderful recipes, I don't know.
    I love to cook and try new recipes. Thanks for posting this one.
    False
    My girlfriend makes these apples with any kind of pork. Everyone loves them and it's easy!

Scalloped Apples

4-6 large apples, sliced(Golden Delicious, Gala, etc)- toss with 1/2 tsp lemon juice

1/2 cup water
    2 TBSP sugar
    2 TBSP brown sugar
    1 tsp cinnamon
    butter

Preheat oven to 400. Put applies in buttered shallow pan; add water.

Mix sugars and cinnamon. Sprinkle over apples. Dot with butter.

Bake about 45 minutes until apples are soft. Serve warm or cold.
    False
    Sorry - that's 1-1/2 tsp lemon juice!
    False
    Have you ever tried pairing roast pork with fennel? It is a good match and what follows is one of my favorite ways for making roasted pork. This recipe uses both the fresh vegetable fennel and also the seed, both of which give the meat a subtle anise flavor. Served on a nice platter surrounded by the fennel and later garnished with the green fennel leaves and you have a pretty good looking meal; one of my favorites. Here is the catch though: You absolutely must use the pan size specified (a 15½ x 10½-inch jellyroll pan or it won’t work. A smaller pan or one with higher sides (like a roasting pan) will cause the pork and fennel to steam and will prevent proper browning.

Roasted Pork Tenderloin With Fennel

2 medium fennel bulbs (about 1 pound each), trimmed and cut lengthwise into ½-inch slices, leaving core intact

1 tablespoon plus teaspoons olive oil (divided)

¾ teaspoon salt (divided)

¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (divided)

1 whole pork tenderloin (about 1 pound)

1 tablespoon firmly packed brown sugar

1 teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed

1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley leaves

1 teaspoon grated lemon zest

Herb springs and/or fennel leaves for garnish

Put oven rack on lower third of oven and preheat to 475°.

In a 15½ x 10½-inch jellyroll pan, toss fresh fennel with 1 tablespoon oil, ½ teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Push fennel to sides of pan and place pork in center of pan.

In a small bowl, stir brown sugar, fennel seeds and remaining 2 teaspoons oil, ¼ teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Rub fennel-seed mixture all over the pork.

Roast pork and fennel, stirring occasionally, 25 to 30 minutes or until meat thermometer inserted into thickest part of pork reaches 155 degrees or so (I personally think that anytime you cook pork higher than 140 it’s pretty much dead in the water). But the recipe I have said 155, so why argue?

Meanwhile, in a small bowl, stir parsley and lemon zest.

(Continued)
    False
    Roasted Pork Tenderloin (Continued)

Transfer pork to cutting board; cut into slices. Place sliced pork on large platter; sprinkle with half of parsley mixture. Toss fennel and remaining parsley mixture and arrange around pork. Garnish with herb sprigs and the fennel leaves that you were going to throw away anyway.

You should try this recipe at least once.
    False
    KE, roasted asparagus is great with pork. Preheat the oven to 450°. Snap off the tough ends and discard those or use them for soup stock. Wash and dry the top parts and place them on a 1/2 inch deep foil-lined baking pan. For each bundle of asparagus, add 1 or 2 minced shallots and 2 or 3 sliced cloves of garlic. Drizzle with about 2 or 3 tablespoons of olive oil, depending on how much asparagus you have. Sprinkle lightly with Nature's Seasons seasoned salt. Toss everything with your hands to coat all of the asparagus. Place in a single layer on the baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes and then carefully turn over with a wide spatula. Bake 10 to 15 minutes longer, depending on the size of the spears. Don't over-cook. They should be tender but still crisp and not mushy. One bundle should make 3 or 4 servings. Be sure to make plenty because they go fast!
    False
    I'm making the Stetson Steakhouse Green Beans for dinner tonight. They sounded really good and just a little different. Sure hope they are good.

The other veggie that I like with a pork tenderloin is broccoli, especially for the attractive colour on the plate.
    False
    Oh boy, do those green beans sound appealing. Sure copied that recipe fast. Marlene
    False
    Heddaplan,thanks for posting the the pork recipe with the Fennel.I like both and it is great to find a new recipe using Fennel.
    Suzycreamcheese,I will make the Stetson Steakhouse beans very soon.I make lotes of fresh green beans.
    Renate
    False
    My BIL served this yesterday and it was delicious ~ he roasted carrots and onions and sweet potatoes and with the tenderloin it was delicious.
    I took Chinese Wonder Salad and we both enjoyed the meal a lot!

kspegg
    False

pegg

I like to serve steamed cabbage and pour a little of the broth from the pork on the cabbage while they are cooking. String beans or lima beans both are good to. Potato salad is good served with pork to
    False