Why did my banana bread fall??? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Why did my banana bread fall???

Last post May 18, 2005 11:24 AM by GreedyGirl . 11 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
  • Why did my banana bread fall???
    Hi to all the great cooks out there.
    I make a great banana bread with a chocolate swirl but today it sunk right in the center. When I make the bread I devide the batter and put melted chocolate in one half and then swirl. I've done it many times and can't figure it out. Any ideas?
    False
  • RE: Why did my banana bread fall???
    Did you open your oven while it was cooking? Sometimes a change in temperature will cause the sinking.
    False
    Twice this happened to me.

Once, I forgot to check the expiration date on baking soda/baking powder and it was expired.

2nd time, MDH John had put lowfat margarine in the tray where I keep our butter and that ruined that one.
    False

Cool

My top 2 guesses would be underbaking--could your oven calibration be off? could you miscalculated the time? recipes are just a guide, they aren't absolutes, sometimes food takes longer than the recipe says.

or it could be your baking powder wasn't good. Even if it was within the time, it may have 'died'. Put a little in a cup and add some water. It should fizz quite a bit, if it doesn't fizz, or only does lazily, I'd toss it and get new.
    False
    I was coming on the BB to ask the exact same question! I just made KathyF's Chocolate Brownie Bread and it sunk "big time" in the center. My oven is off (tends to run hot) and I did open it a couple times to check on the "doneness" of the bread. I bet the opening and closing of the oven was the culprit this time. Thanks for asking the question and for all the good info. I'm going to check my baking powder now, too. It did not have much in it but who knows, maybe its dead!!!
    False
    Well, I checked my baking powder and it was very active. I then looked at the recipe again and found my mistake...I added 2 teaspoons of soda and 1/4 tsp. of powder and it was suppose to be the opposite. Oh well, the bread tastes fantastic, at least, just looks funny. It will be gone by tomorrow, I'm sure, and I'll try it again the right way. Thanks again, though, for the helpful info :)
    False
    Here are some trouble shooting tips from "Great Cakes" by Carole Walter.

If The Cake Sinks In The Center:
    The batter contained too much fat.
    The cake contained too much sugar.
    The sugar was too coarse.
    The batter contained too much or the wrong kind of leavening.

And this is from "The Kitchen Companion" by Polly Clingerman.

Fallen Cake, Collapsed Center:
    Too much sugar, liquid or leavening.
    Too little flour.
    Oven not hot enough.
    Cake didn't bake long enough.
    Pan too small, making cake so thick that center couldn't bake done.
    False
    Maytime, I would love the recipe for the chocolate banana bread, could you post?
    False
    False
    I would love the recipe also- please
    Linda NY
    False
    Photobucket
    bump
    False
    Photobucket
    Could've been because it wasn't quite done in the middle.
    False