What is shoe peg corn? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

What is shoe peg corn?

Last post May 25, 2005 10:16 PM by siolzone5IL . 7 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
  • What is shoe peg corn?
    How serious would it be to substitute whole kernel corn in a salad recipe calling for shoe peg corn? Siol IL
    False
  • RE: What is shoe peg corn?
    Shoepeg corn is a very sweet whole kernel corn.
    False
    It is white corn. You could substitute whole kernel corn for it.
    False

Faith is not demanding what we want; it is trusting God's goodness in spite of life's tragedies. Dave Branon

Thanks a bunch for the quick response. I want to take it to a Memorial Day Fish Fry and it will save me a trip to town to use the wk corn. I know the shoepeg would probably be sweeter but we will just have to cope. Siol IL
    False
    Shoepeg corn
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
    Shoepeg corn is a variety of white sweetcorn characterized by small, narrow kernels. It is usually somewhat sweeter than typical yellow sweetcorn. Unlike most common forms of maize, the shoepeg kernels do not form even rows on the cob.

Shoepeg corn is popular in some regions of the United States, particularly in the South. An early promoter of canned shoepeg corn was Malcolm Mitchell of Maryland. His Mitchell's Shoepeg Sweet Corn is a brand that can still be found, even though its center of production at the time of World War I was transformed into what is now Aberdeen Proving Ground.

The name shoepeg corn derives from the resemblence of the kernels to shoepegs. Shoepegs are small wooden pegs that were commonly used in the 1800s to attach the sole to the upper part of the shoe.

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoepeg_corn"
    False
    Add a little bit of sugar. I can't tell you how much because I don't know your recipe. But my friend has proved to me that any old brand of frozen corn is improved with a bit of sugar. We had some at her house once where I would have sworn it was home frozen sweet corn. She LOL and said, "No it is a store brand with a bit of sugar."
    False
    DelMonte has the best tasting white canned corn. It tastes just like fresh corn cut off the cob. And white corn is better for you. It is the only corn my grandparents grew in their garden. My grandfather said the yellow corn was too modified to be real corn.
    False
    It is nice to know the history of it. I was so ignorant of it that I had a hard time not calling it "peg leg" corn. Also the tips on adding sugar and the Del Monte brand. Thanks. Siol IL
    False