CAN YOU EAT BROCCOLI LEAVES? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

CAN YOU EAT BROCCOLI LEAVES?

Last post Oct 20, 2006 2:25 PM by elizabear . 5 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
  • CAN YOU EAT BROCCOLI LEAVES?
    My husband planted broccoli this year for the first time. I've only had it fresh from the store or frozen.
    The plants are so healthy and lots of leaves, but have not made a head yet. We were wondering if you can eat the leaves.

BHSBearcat
    False
  • RE: CAN YOU EAT BROCCOLI LEAVES?
    I've planted lots of broccoli... and don't recommend the leaves. Wait for the head -- then after you chop off the head you can pick florrettes like crazy. Once a flower blooms the florettes stop coming... so don't let it bloom. Fresh broccoli is great!

I've wondered if my friends chickens would eat the leaves because they love brussel sprout leaves -- but even chickens didn't like the broccoli leaves.

Just me... let's see what everyone else says. Maybe they are edible.. but I've tried them, and didn't find the taste appealing. Maybe doctored up with butter and garlic -- they'd be edible... but I normally toss them to the compost pile.

Mrs. Lucci
    False
    I just can't believe this... But I just found a site... where they so to do just what I recommended...

Here's what they said...

4. Q. Are broccoli leaves good to eat?

A. Yes, most people would have a hard time distinguishing between young broccoli leaves and collard greens. Harvest and prepare only young, tender leaves as older, tougher leaves often develop a somewhat bitter taste.

and\STEP 1 - Prep and Par Boil

1. Separate green leaves from white stalks. Discard stalks.

2. Tear leaves into 4 -5 cm pieces.

3. Put leaves in a pot of cold water, covering by about 4 cm of water.

4. Bring leaves to a boil, then remove immediately from heat.

5. Pour off hot water and rinse leaves in cold water to stop cooking process.

6. Drain thoroughly and pat leaves dry.

STEP 2 - Cook Leaves

1. Rough chop drained leaves.

2. Fine chop of couple of cloves of garlic.

3. Splash a liberal amount of olive oil in a fry pan (or wok) and add garlic.

4. Heat garlic until soft. (Note: Don't burn garlic or it becomes bitter. If you do burn it, discard garlic and oil and start again).

5. Add leaves and cook over a medium-high heat about 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally so nothing sticks. For softer leaves, add a bit of broth (or water) and cover while cooking.

6. Salt and pepper to taste, then serve. If it's a bit juicy, use bread to mop up remaining sauce.

ADDITIONS

Add red chillis, panchetta, bacon, peppers, crushed tomatoes, etc. for variations. You can also reduce frying time slightly, then cover with Parmesan chesse and bake in oven until cheese melts.
    False
    They say basically to boil the broccoli leaves like spinish or collards and add stuff to make them edible...

Amazing.. I had no idea... I imagine it's full of all sorts of good vitamins.
    False
    Yes you can! I had the same problem in the garden this year (lots of broccoli leaves but no heads). I did some research first to make sure the leaves weren't poisonous or something (!), then I just fixed them Southern-style, like any leafy green.

First, hold the leaves by the main stem & run your hand down it, stripping off the leaves as you go. Discard the main woody stems. Then wash the leaves well & tear them into pieces. Take a big pot & fry up 3 or 4 strips of bacon, drain the fat & add a little chopped onion & garlic. (I heard Paula Dean say once that you can use a smoked turkey wing instead of bacon if you want a lower-fat version, but I've never seen them in the store...maybe it's a Southern thing).

Saute the onions a few minutes, then add the broccoli leaves, stirring well. Pour in about 1/2 cup warm water & a pinch of sugar. Turn heat to low, cover & simmer at least 2 hrs. Check now & then; you may have to add a little more water to the pan for the greens to simmer in. Trust me, you don't want them to boil dry & scorch!

When ready to serve, take off the lid & turn up the heat, stirring until any water that's left is mostly evaporated. Sprinkle with a little salt & cider vinegar, if desired.

I really enjoyed the broccoli leaves this way...they weren't at all bitter or tough like mustard or collard greens can be. They tasted a lot like the turnip greens you can get at Cracker Barrel restaurants. Yum!
    False
    Yup!
    False