Chitlins? What are they? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Chitlins? What are they?

Last post Jun 09, 2005 12:26 PM by JOBEECATNC . 7 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
  • Chitlins? What are they?
    Once in a while I see a recipe using chitlins. Could someone tell me what they are. For some reason I think they are from a pig. What area I haven't a clue. Please educate me. Marlene
    False
  • RE: Chitlins? What are they?
    chitterlings: small intestines of hogs prepared as food
    www.cogsci.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/webwn2.1

Chitterlings (pronounced "CHIT-lins" and sometimes spelled chitlins) are the small intestines of a pig that have been prepared as food. They are considered a type of offal.
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chitlins
    False
    I personally think they smell and taste awful! I would not make a recipe using them! Ughh! :-P
    False
    Rezaswife
    http://www.chitlinmarket.com/recipe.html
    False
    THEY TASTE EXACTLY LIKE THEY SMELL. AWFUL!!!!! I WOULD NEVER EVER COOK THEM. I HAD HEARD OF THEM ALL MY LIFE, AND ONE OF MY COWORKERS GOT THEM FROM THIS COUNTRY GRILL FOR LUNCH ONE DAY, AND I ASKED IF I COULD TASTE THEM, AND BOY WAS THAT A MISTAKE.
    False
    Blech. I live in the South where people actually do eat these things. I smelled them cooking at a local fair one time and that was enough for me. And the way they LOOK.

It always amazes me the things people can come up with to eat . . . such as tripe, tongue, brains, liver (think about what a liver DOES - filters out toxins! - liver lovers, don't fuss at me, I know that it is high in iron). Why eat the ookie things when you can have a lovely filet or slice of prime rib?

:) Emily
    False
    Emily
    Poor people & slaves learned to eat the 'innards' because no one else wanted them. They sure didn't have roast beef or filet to choose from!

Cali
    False
    BUMP
    False