TREAT DAY AT WORK...ANY IDEAS??? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

TREAT DAY AT WORK...ANY IDEAS???

Last post Jun 15, 2005 12:23 PM by Tipster . 24 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 2 of 2 (25 items) 12
  • RE: TREAT DAY AT WORK...ANY IDEAS???
    LOL~! THanks for the giggle~!
    False
    Jen,

I bring treats to work all the time. Three huge hits from this board that I've brought to work recently have been the Oatmeal Cherry Pecan Bars, the Rocky Road Fudge Bars, and the White Turtle Cake.

I highly recommend any of them (as would my coworkers).

Laurel
    False
    Posted by: Vicki5775 Replies: 14 Posted on: 5/31/2005 9:17:40 PM
    #T523806

This recipe just won the Michigan's Best Dessert contest (cookie category).

Cherry Pecan Oatmeal Bars

1 package (14 ounces) caramels
    1/2 cup cream
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    2 cups quick-cooking oats
    1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 cup butter, melted
    1 cup chopped pecans (plus extra for garnish, if desired)
    1 cup dried cherries
    1 1/4 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a 9-by-13-inch baking pan. In a saucepan over medium heat, melt caramels with cream, stirring frequently until smooth. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, stir together flour, oats, brown sugar, baking soda and salt. Stir in melted butter. Press half of the mixture into bottom of pan. Bake 10 minutes. Remove and sprinkle crust with 1 cup pecans, 1/2 cup cherries and 1 cup chocolate chips (reserve remaining 1/4 cup chips).

Reserve 1/4 cup of the caramel mixture and drizzle remaining caramel mixture over ingredients in pan. Crumble remaining oat mixture and cherries evenly over top and pat down lightly. Bake an additional 15-20 minutes or until top is golden. Cool before cutting into bars.

Melt remaining 1/4 cup chocolate chips. Drizzle cookies with reserved 1/4 cup caramel mixture and melted chocolate chips. Sprinkle with extra pecans, if desired.

False
    Posted by: KY_Kate Replies: 8 Posted on: 2/17/2004 7:15:53 PM
    #T305630

I made this tonight to take to work tomorrow. I wanted to make sure it was okay before I took it to work, so I cut a one inch section out of the corner. Was it ever good. I only had Butter Recipe Gold cake mix on hand, and I sprinkled some chocolate chips on top of the caramel mix and then slightly pressed them into the caramel before topping with the remaining batter.

KY Kate

RE: Cake Mixes
    Posted by: bebeblues Posted on: 6/29/2003 4:47:04 PM
    #R1761776

White Turtle Cake
    By Marilyn Wallace, Darlington

1 package yellow cake mix
    1 cup water
    14 oz can sweetened condensed milk, divided
    1 cup vegetable oil
    3 eggs
    14 oz package caramels
    1 cup chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 350-degrees. Combine cake mix, water, 1/2 of condensed milk, oil and eggs. Beat well. Spread 1/2 the batter into greased 13 X 9 pan. Bake 30 minutes. Melt caramels with remaining condensed milk in microwave, stirring every 30 minutes. Stir in pecans. Pour over hot cake. Spread remaining batter over caramel layer. Bake 20 minutes. Spread frosting over warm cake.

Frosting
    1/2 cup melted margarine
    1 lb powered sugar
    6 tbsp milk
    1 tsp vanilla extract

Combine margarine, sugar and milk; beat well. Add vanilla; mix well.

Be sure and refrigerate for awhile lst.
    False
    Posted by: carolinacooker Replies: 12 Posted on: 4/23/2005 8:25:56 AM
    #T507260

This is a family favorite that I thought you may enjoy. Just made a batch for a picnic:

Rocky Road Fudge Bars

Base
    ½ cup butter
    1 ounce unsweetened chocolate
    1-cup all-purpose flour
    1-cup sugar
    1-teaspoon baking powder
    1-teaspoon vanilla
    2 eggs
    ¾ cup chopped nuts

Filling
    6 ounces cream cheese, softened
    ¼ cup butter, softened
    ½ cup sugar
    2 tablespoons flour
    ½ teaspoon vanilla
    1 egg
    ¼ cup nuts
    6 ounces (1 cup) semi-sweet chocolate chips, if desired

Frosting
    2 cups miniature marshmallows
    ¼ cup butter
    ¼ cup milk
    1 ounce unsweetened chocolate
    3 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
    1-teaspoon vanilla

Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour 13-inch x 9-inch baking pan. In a large saucepan over low heat, melt ½ cup butter and 1 ounce chocolate, stirring constantly until well blended. Add 1-cup flour and remaining base ingredients; mix well. Spread into prepared pan.

In a small bowl, combine all filling ingredients except ¼ cup nuts and chocolate chips. Beat 1 minute at medium speed until smooth and fluffy; stir in nuts. Spread over chocolate mixture; sprinkle evenly with chocolate chips. Bake at 350F for 25 to 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

Immediately sprinkle marshmallows over top. Return to oven and bake an additional 2 minutes. In large saucepan over low heat, combine ¼ cup butter, milk, 1 ounce chocolate and 2 ounces cream cheese, stirring until well blended. Remove from heat; stir in confectioner's sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla until smooth. Immediately pour frosting over marshmallows and lightly swirl to marble with knife. Refrigerate until firm; cut into bars.

False
    Hi hope I am not to late, these are wonderful and always get rave reviews.

Posted by: hollyga Posted on: 12/22/2004 6:00:54 AM
    #R4907826
    CHOCOLATE COVERED RICE KRISPIE BARS

1 c. white corn syrup
    1 c. sugar
    1 c. peanut butter
    6 c. Rice Krispies
    12 oz. chocolate chips

In large saucepan, cook corn syrup and sugar over medium heat, stirring frequently, until mixture starts to boil.

Remove from heat, stir in peanut butter. Mix in cereal. Press in buttered 13"x9"x2" pan. Melt over hot water the 12 ounce bag of chips, stirring until smooth. Spread over cereal mixture. Chill until firm, 15 minutes.

Yield: 48 bars, 2"x1".

False
    Symphony Bar Brownies
    2 boxes Betty Crocker brownie mix with walnuts (you can use the mix without nuts but it makes them a little richer)
    3 (7 oz) extra large symphony candy bars with the almonds and toffee chips.
    Mix brownie mix according to package directions. Put one brownie mixture in the bottom of a 9x13 pan that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Lay the symphony bars across the top. The bars should cover the pan. Pour the second mix on top of the candy bars.
    Bake as indicated on the box. You may need to add a few extra minutes, just keep an eye on it. Watch the edges closely.
    Let cool before slicing.
    Try these if you LOVE chocolate! I think you will like them!!!!!
    False

Please come visit my blog. http://hdmcfar.blogspot.com/ Christmas countdown banner

April Fools Day countdown banner

REC: Killer Brownies T & T
    Posted by: HDMac Replies: 27 Posted on: 9/16/2004 8:58:33 PM
    #T412432
    2/3 C margarine/butter
    1 1/2 C sugar
    4 T Water
    4 eggs
    1 1/2 C flour
    1 t salt
    1 t baking soda
    1 t vanilla
    4 C chocolate chips
    1 C chopped nuts

Preheat oven to 325. Grease a 9 x 13 pan. Melt butter, sugar and water together over low heat. (don't burn)
    Remove from heat and mix in 2 cups choc. chips. Stir until melted. Add eggs and beat. Add vanilla and stir. Add flour, salt and baking soda and stir. Add 2 C choc. chips, nuts and mix thoroughly. Pour into greased pan and bake for 25 minutes. Cool before cutting.

As I typed this I realized that I have this in my oven and I used baking powder instead of soda... LOL.. been awhile since I have made this..... We LOVE these. :) A coworker gave this recipe to me a few years ago and I have to agree that it is KILLER!!! :)
    False

Please come visit my blog. http://hdmcfar.blogspot.com/ Christmas countdown banner

April Fools Day countdown banner

These go really fast. You can either use 3 regular Butterfinger bars or 9 fun size bars. I don't divide the Butterfinger pieces. I just stir them all in and press it into the pan. These are so much better than the regular rice krispie treats.

Butterfinger Rice Krispie Bars (posted by Maddymoo)

6 c. miniature marshmallows
    3 T. butter or margarine
    ½ c. creamy peanut butter
    5 c. Rice Krispies
    3 (2.1 oz) Butterfinger candy bars, finely chopped, divided use

Spray 9 x 13 pan with nonstick cooking spray. Place marshmallows and butter in large saucepan. Heat over medium heat, stirring frequently, until marshmallows are melted. Remove from heat. Stir in peanut butter until combined. Stir in cereal and 1 c. chopped Butterfinger until coated. Spread into prepared pan. Sprinkle with remaining chopped Butterfinger. Press in slightly. Cool completely. Cut into bars.
    False

Faith is not demanding what we want; it is trusting God's goodness in spite of life's tragedies. Dave Branon

Tasty Tortilla Rolls

12 oz cream cheese softened
    2 tbs chopped green chilies, fresh or canned
    3 tbs finely chopped pecans
    3 tbs chopped ripe olives
    5 tbs minced green onions
    1 clove garlic minced
    6 8-inch flour tortillas

In a medium size bowl, combine cream cheese, chilies, nuts, olives, onions,. and garlic. Spread one side of each tortilla with the cream cheese muixture, covering completely. Roll each tortilla up tightly, jelly roll style and wrap individually in plastic wrap. Refrigerate several hours or overnight. To serve cut each long roll into 1/2 inch rounds and place cut size down on serving tray. Use toothpicks to spear rolls for dipping into salsa.

Makes 60 pieces.

Salsa Spread

8 oz cream cheese, softened
    1/2 cup sour cream
    1/4 cup mayonnaise
    1 cup thick and chunky salsa
    2 cups shredded cheese
    1 green pepper
    3 green onions, chopped
    1 tomato diced

Mix first 3 ingredients together. Spread ocer 12-inch pizza pan. Add layers of salsa, cheese, green pepper, onions, tomato. Cover and chill until ready to serve. Serve with nacho chips.
    This makes a great appetizer and everybody loves this recipe

False