OT: ripening nectarines, peaches | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

OT: ripening nectarines, peaches

Last post Jun 22, 2005 10:49 AM by two4tea_MN . 9 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
  • OT: ripening nectarines, peaches
    How do I keep them from rotting before they ripen? They are hard as a rock when I buy them and then I put them in a brown paper bag to ripen. Before they even get soft they start to rot.
    HELP!

Gail
    False
  • RE: OT: ripening nectarines, peaches
    Sorry, I can't help you. I'm just glad to know you have the same problem I do.
    False
    I guess I shouldn't say I'm glad - It's just that I thought I was the only one who couldn't get their peaches to rippen that way.
    False
    I've never had any luck trying to ripen them either so I wait until they are already ripe and only buy a few at a time.
    False
    I've wondered if it's how long they have been picked before you buy them at the store. Sometimes I just leave mine in a bowl on the sink and they rippen and are as sweet as sugar. Other times they either rot or get soft and have absolutely no flavor.
    False

I have this problem, too. So hard to find a good peach at a grocery store these days. They taste like cardboard, then when they ripen, they're rotted out. :( When I can, I buy them from the farmers at the edge of town and tend not to have the same problems when I do that. It's just not always convenient. Aargh!

False
    This happens to me too. Just last week actually and the store advertised them as "summer-ripe". I took them back to the store and they gave me my money back.
    False
    I was given this hint, which is not perfect, but has helped a lot ~~

Make sure there is no green at the stem end, when you purchase peaches and nectarines.
    False

Great question! I also have this problem and noticed our grocery has peaches on sale this week. Will try dutchmom's tip & check for green on the stem end. It's sure worth a try.
    Thanks for the tip!!!!
    Joann
    False
    Sorry to hear that we all have the same problem. I just bought some more from one of the stores here that had them for $.89/lb. I hope I get a few that will ripen without rotting.
    My dog loves them too, so I cut off the bad parts and we share.

Gail

False