What is the proper way to make a rue? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

What is the proper way to make a rue?

Last post Jun 23, 2005 6:09 PM by CCLady . 6 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
  • What is the proper way to make a rue?
    I feel like I've tried every possible way to mix flour and butter for gravy and all I end up with are disgusting clumps. How should I be doing it?

Thanks!

Lisa
    False
  • RE: What is the proper way to make a rue?
    I don't know the proper way but here's how I make it.

Melt Crisco in frying pan. About 2 or 2 heaping tablespoons.

When it gets hot, stir in about two heaping tablespoons flour. Should make a paste. If it's too lumpy or hard, add more oil. Make a creamy paste. Then slowly stir in milk about two cups. It should thicken up rapidly. If too thick, add more milk. If too thin, cook a few minutes.

I don't use butter for gravy, only shortening or oil.
    False
    Making a roux is just melting butter in a heavy pan and slowly wisking flour into it. Here is an article that might help you.

How To Make A White Sauce
    From Linda Larsen,
    Your Guide to Busy Cooks.
    FREE Newsletter. Sign Up Now!

White sauces are the basis for many recipes. Just a few simple steps need to be followed carefully for a perfect result every time
    Difficulty: Easy

Time Required: 20 minutes

Here's How:
    1. Melt butter in a heavy saucepan over medium low heat.

2. Stir in flour. Using a wire whisk, stir the butter-flour mixture until it bubbles. This is called a roux.

3. Cook and stir the roux for 1-2 minutes. This gets rid of the raw flour taste and allows the starch granules in the flour to accept the liquid. Remove from heat.

4. Heat the liquid in a separate pan.

5. Slowly add the liquid to the roux, stirring vigorously with that wire whisk.

6. Return saucepan to heat. Cook and stir over medium heat until the sauce thickens. This process begins at the bottom of the pot, so be sure to stir constantly.

7. When the sauce is thickened and just begins to boil, remove from heat. You've made a white sauce!

Tips:
    Heating the liquid ensures lumps won't form as easily in the sauce.
    Make sure you cook the flour-butter mixture for 1-2 minutes so the sauce will thicken.
    Using a wire whisk really is essential. It incorporates the liquid into the roux very well, preventing lumps from forming.
    False
    I got this from Best of Best from Mississippi Cookbook.
    I haven't tried it yet.

A Perfect Roux

Brown 2 cups of flour in a large iron skillet in 350° oven without any grease. Watch carefully and stir often.
    It will take about 40 minutes. When cold, put in jar with lid and it will be available as needed for any thickening.
    Add only cold water to this flour to make a smooth paste.
    Proportions are 1/4 cup flour to 1 cup water, no grease needed.
    Add this 'roux' to soups, stews, broths, etc. to thicken.
    Gives it a great flavor.
    False
    Lisa, this is a post I did a while back of how to make roux. I hope this helps.

I normally, when making small use the 1 to 1 ratio. 1 tablespoon of oil to 1 tablespoon of flour. Just make sure it is blended before you pour in your liquid.

Below is the Louisiana way.

Happy Cooking,

Boe
    False
    Subject: TURKEY BONE GUMBO
    Posted by: boeboe165 Replies: 20 Posted on: 9/17/2004 3:14:49 AM
    #T412478
    TURKEY BONE GUMBO

THIS MAY TAKE TWO PAGES

The basic recipe came from the Cane River Cuisine Cookbook from a lady named Mrs. Julius Aaron. I have just done a few changes on the recipe to make it a lot easier to make.

The first thing I do is start out with a thick bottomed 10 quart stock pot to put all the turkey bones in because you do need some room. You also need 2 quarts of broth for the recipe and 4 quarts if you double it, which I do. Boil this slowly for 1 and ½ hours until the meat falls off the bone. Strain the bones and meat in a colander, separate the meat from bones and discard. Store the broth in refrigerator for several hours, enough to be able to skim the fat from the broth.

Next comes the important thing in gumbo, making the roux. Roux needs to be made in a thick bottom pot so the heat is distributed evenly so the roux does not burn. Basicly there are three kinds of roux, blond, tan and chocolate. (this is how I classify them but the Cajuns may not) Roux’s in Louisiana are all made different by everybody. I use 1 to 1, 1 cup oil to 1 cup of flour, 1 tablespoon of oil to 1 tablespoon of flour.
    Now back to the different colors of roux.
    Blond: blend oil and flour and then add stock
    Tan: blend oil and flour with medium heat until roux turns a tan color (normally takes thirty minutes)
    Chocolate: blend oil and flour with medium heat until roux turns a chocolate color ( normally takes an hour) You need to constantly stir this to keep from burning and if it gets a little dry just add a little oil.

****Do not burn roux because it will taste bitter****

I normally make a tan roux for any of my Louisiana recipes. This is an individuals choice and taste.

Now you are ready to make gumbo.
    False
    if you have trouble with lumps, try using wondra flour. . .since it's granulated, it's almost impossible for it to lump the way regular flour does. . .i've used it for years for white sauce, cheese souffle. . .whatever. . .
    False