What do you add to brownie mix for variety? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

What do you add to brownie mix for variety?

Last post Jun 30, 2005 8:43 AM by cyberbooth_AL . 18 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 12
  • What do you add to brownie mix for variety?
    MIL brought me 10 boxes of brownie mix that she found on sale. Ten Boxes!!! I'm looking for easy add-in's or changes to make some variety. I love brownies, but after ten boxes of the same kind, even I might get tired of them! LOL! Thanks in advance!
    False
  • RE: What do you add to brownie mix for variety?
    My kids love brownies with caramels in them, or chopped up candy bars
    False
    Sometimes I like to refrigerate the brownies a while after they've cooled. Then spread a layer of peanut butter over the top. Refrigerate again to harden a little so you can then spread chocolate frosting over that. Yum!

Pat
    False
    I bumped up an older thread with tons of ideas for brownie mix.
    False
    Here are a few suggestions from Anne Byrn's book, "The Dinner Doctor" for doctoring up a brownie mix:

1. Sprinkle tiny M&M's over the top before baking.

2. Spread cinnamon, white chocolate, peanut butter, or milk chocolate chips over the brownies right after you take them out of the oven. The chips will melt into a thin glaze.

3. Add 1 tablespoon of pure vanilla extract to the brownie batter.

4. Bake the brownies for 10 to 15 minutes less than called for instead of following the baking time on the box. They should still be fudgy in the center when you remove the pan from the oven. Spread the cooled underbaked brownies with a quick ganache made by adding 3/4 cup heavy (whipping) cream that has been brought just to the boil to a cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips and stirring until the chips are melted and smooth.

5. Add 1/4 teaspoon of mint extract to the brownie batter. Or go a step further and fold chopped peppermint patties in the batter.

6. Stir a handful of roughly chopped caramels into the brownie batter.

7. Add 1 tablespoon of powdered instant coffee and a pinch of cinnamon to the brownie batter.

8. Top the baked brownies with caramel topping, sweetened flaked coconut, and chopped toasted pecans.

9. Swirl softened cream cheese into the brownie batter before baking the brownies. For a different twist, use orange or strawberry flavored cream cheese.

10. Stir sliced almonds, chopped dried cherries, and a dash of almond extract into the brownie batter.

11. Make triple chocolate brownies by stirring white, milk, and semi-sweet chips in the brownie batter.

continued...
    False
    12. Add chopped macadamia nuts and white chocolate chips to the brownie batter and drop spoonfuls onto a lightly greased cookie sheet for easy brownie cookies. Bake until crisp at the edges, 8 to 10 minutes.

13. Fold a mashed ripe banana into the batter just before baking.

14. Brush hot baked brownies with Kahlua when they come out of the oven.

15. For a nostalgic version, fold chopped walnuts and big handful of chocolate chips into the brownie batter.
    False
    "Popables"(resses, snickers, or york) "small size peppermint patties", peanutbutter chips, butterscotch chips, andes mints, coarsely chopped, (or andes cherry or toffee flavor) heath bar bits. Or frozen raspberries :O)
    False
    the new nestle chocolate swirled chocolate chips,stir them in or sprinkle them over the top

also make individual brownies in muffin cups and put a candy in the middle
    False
    i add rolo candies to mine and my DH and DD eat them up.i also add chocolte chips and caramello candy bars to.we love the caramel in them
    False
    Tonya Longshore
    This is a favorite of ours... add chocolate chip cookies!

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Brownies
    1 package Fudge Brownie Mix
    • 1/4 cup water
    • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
    • 3 eggs
    • 1 Duncan Hines Chocolate Chip Cookie Mix
    • 1/2 cup softened butter
    • 1 Chocolate Frosting

1: Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease bottom only of rectangular baking pan. Make brownie mix as directed on package, using oil, water, and two eggs. Spread in pan.
    2: Make cookie mix as directed, using butter and one egg. Drop dough by rounded tablesponnfuls evenly onto brownie batter and press down lightly.
    3: Bake 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted 2 inches from pan comes out almost clean. Cool completely, about 1 hour. Frost with frosting.
    4: Cut brownies into rows of 8x6.
    5: ENJOY!

We have done it with or without frosting(some here don't like frosting) and they are good either way.

bbsahm_1

False
    I add peanutbutter chips to the batter. Yummy!
    False

Peanut butter chips are delicious in brownies!
    False
    You can use brownie mix to make "Gooey Butter Cake". I know several variations have been posted on here. Paula Deen's is very good.

Brownie mix is also a great way to make cookies. You can use the "Cool Whip Cookie" recipe that has been posted here.

Or another way to make cookies:
    To the dry mix just add, a stick of melted butter, one egg, and 3-4 tablespoons ice water to make the dough. On dry days I need a little more water to get a good cookie dough consistency. From there I like to add chopped pecans, chopped macadamias, white chocolate chips and semisweet chips. They're heavenly!

deb
    False
    I used to add mint chocolate chips and then would dust them with powdered sugar. The mint choc chips went away, came back and I don't know is they're gone again. It jazzed the brownies up. These other additions sound good.
    CA_girl
    False
    These are great!!! And thanks for the other thread being bumped up, too! Sometimes when I do a search, not too much comes up - that crazy thing. Thanks for showing me exactly where to look. OOOHHH, got to get baking!
    False