Anybody ever use dough hooks on your mixer for meatloaf? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Anybody ever use dough hooks on your mixer for meatloaf?

Last post Jul 03, 2005 8:03 PM by takomomID . 15 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 12
  • Anybody ever use dough hooks on your mixer for meatloaf?
    I've heard this can be done but I always just use my hands. Would be handy, though, when I have a broken fingernail or a cut. Any thoughts?
    False
  • RE: Anybody ever use dough hooks on your mixer for meatloaf?
    bump
    False
    Yes, it works! It makes a more uniformly mixed, finer textured meatloaf that holds its shape very well, even when sliced.
    False

"Wit is educated insolence." Aristotle

My favorite way to mix meatloaf is with DH's hands.(LOL) When I make meatloaf, I make four at a time and freeze three of them for later use. I've "persuaded" (more like conned) DH into helping me when I do this. I put all the ingredients in a big bowl and he puts on gloves and does the mixing and putting the mixture in the pans. I think it's a very good system if I do say so myself. :)
    False
    I'm SO glad you came up with this suggestion! I will definitely try it using a dough hook the next time I make meatloaf...thanks!
    False
    I think that sounds like a GREAT idea. I had never thought of it.. but sure would help with the meat getting under your nails and such! LOL. And it would probably mix it better too....!

But right now I am chuckling.. because that reminds me of a time WAY back when I was mixing up meatloaf and turned and threw up in the sink... Yep, I knew then that I was pregnant with our fourth child! LOL.. sorry but thinking meatloaf today made me think of that.
    False

Please come visit my blog. http://hdmcfar.blogspot.com/

If DH isn't around to mush it up for me, I just use a fork. I refuse to use my hands! Eeeeek,,,,cold and icky!

~~susie.
    False

I have had my Kitchen Aid for a couple of months, and have only used it for cakes, fostings, cookies and breads. Hadn't even thought of using it for anything else. What a great idea. Thanks.
    False
    OK, I'm convinced. I'll try it next time!
    False
    If my husband isn't around to do it I always do my meatloaf in my Kitchen Aid. I hate mixing it by hand...one of those quirks. It works great with the dough hook.
    False
    I use the flat beater on my kitchen aid mixer and it works great. It's been ages since I've mixed it by hand.

Kelly
    False
    If you have to mix it yourself with your hands, do like I did. I bought a box of rubber gloves (the medical kind without powder) and use them when I mix icky stuff by hand. Then just pull them off inside out and toss. No icky stuff under your nails.
    False
    I never thought of that! Thanks for the suggestion; I'm going to try it next time. My family loves meatloaf so I make it a good bit. I hate that raw ground meat stuck on my hands.
    False
    "If I have ventured wrongly, very well, life then helps me with its penalty. But if I haven't ventured at all, who helps me then?"
    Gosh, this is so wierd...I thought I was the ONLY one who hated to touch food!! I always use powder-free, synthetic PVC exam gloves (get a box of 100 from the local drug store, about $7.00 but last a long time). To this day my mother laughs at me when we eat fried chicken because I can clean more meat off a bone with knife and fork than most people who pick it up and chew it!

I also use gloves to roll cookie balls, meatballs, and my favorite job (NOT!!!)--pick all the meat off the turkey carcass.

We also have a box on the garage for changing oil and greasy jobs. And I couldn't live without one in the 5th wheel--I use them with some food prep, and DH uses them when filling quads with gas (saves lots of water trying to wash the gas off your hands).
    False
    Personally, I prefer to use my hands. Dont need something else to wash. Also, too much working of the ground beef makes it denser and tougher. But, to each his own. If it works for you, than by all means do it.Maybe I'm just too set in my ways as I grow older by the minute!
    False