OT: WHAT ARE YOU READING THIS WEEK, 7/31? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

OT: WHAT ARE YOU READING THIS WEEK, 7/31?

Last post Aug 11, 2005 3:37 PM by 75vette . 79 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 2 of 6 (80 items) 12345Last >
  • RE: OT: WHAT ARE YOU READING THIS WEEK, 7/31?
    Killing Her Softly by Beverly Barton

Book Description
    New York Times bestselling author, Beverly Barton, delivers a sizzling tale of suspense about a Southern heiress who becomes involved with a renowned and seductive trial lawyer whose ex-lovers are being murdered one by one.

So far I'm enjoying it, although it takes some getting used to the "lead" male character.

I'm also reading the South Beach Diet and trying to decide whether I should give this diet a try.

Now, I'm off to see what everyone else is reading so I can add to my list!

Kim
    False
    Finished Tony Hillerman's SKELETON MAN and Johnathan Kellerman, THE CONSPIRACY CLUB. The Kellerman books was really different. It was so slow, I thought it would never get started. Didn't really enjoy it.

Just started MRS. POLLIFAX, INNOCENT TOURIST by Dorothy Gilman.
    False

I am on the last tape of ANGELS WATCHING OVER ME BY MICHEAL PHILLIPS.
    Very good.

Two young teenage girls unthinkingly pursue their very different daily activities, never dreaming of how their lives are about to be dramatically altered. Katie Clairborne is being raised as a privileged young lady with very little challenge compared to her distant neighbor, Mayme, an African-American slave girl. The Civil War has come and Katie's father and brothers are impelled to fight for their Southern cause, the secession from the Union of the United States of America and the conservation of slavery as a way of life economically necessary for plantation owners like her father. Mayme, on the other hand, wears the scars of the brutality of that slave condition and doesn't even dream of freedom until shortly after she becomes more free than she ever wanted to be.

After the loss of the war, Katie's father returns to a debt-ridden plantation that seems bound to foreclosure. But the Clairborne family, minus one brother killed in the War, is beset by angry Southern soldiers. Except for Katie, the entire Clairborne family is destroyed and Mayme is the only survivor of the same group's murderous vicious attack on her own family. The only record of this event is practically a footnote in history, the Massacre of Shenandoah County carried out by Bilsby's Marauders, but their acts enable our survivors to discover how human beings can love and learn from each other, no matter what color their respective skin might be.

So the two girls meet and begin a journey of discovery and maturity. Rather than just another Civil War story or teenage account, Michael Phillips smoothly delineates the culture and ethics of southern living. Katie and Mayme teach each other classical and camp meeting song and dance, storytelling from European classic and African-American oral tales, and the work ethic that binds rather than divides a surviving community no longer free to engage in fanciful living.

False
    °º·¤.¸¯`°º·¤.¸¯`°º·¤.¸ ♥ ¸.¤·º°´¯ ¸.¤·º°´¯ ¸.¤·º°
    ~~ CELEBRATE YOUR FREEDOM
    AND THANK AN AMERICAN SOLDIER!!! ~~
    ¸.¤·º°´¯ ♥ ¯`°º·¤. ♥♥~♥♥¸.¤·º°´¯ ♥ ¯`°º·¤.
    ¤·º°´¯ ¸.¤·º°´¯ ¸.¤·º°´¯ ♥ ¯`°º·¤. ¸¯`°º·¤. ¸¯`°

continued with a BIG QUESTION FOR YA'LL

Both experience a religious conversion which proves itself in their challenges, ranging from attacking robbers to a runaway pregnant slave. Mayme and Katie become best friends, each learning strength and compassion from the other. Their chances of remaining together seem dim but they make a plan to continue their lives in the same place.

So the journey will continue in forthcoming books in this series.

WHAT ARE THE OTHER BOOKS THAT CONTINUE THIS SERIES??? tHANKS GRANNY
    False
    °º·¤.¸¯`°º·¤.¸¯`°º·¤.¸ ♥ ¸.¤·º°´¯ ¸.¤·º°´¯ ¸.¤·º°
    ~~ CELEBRATE YOUR FREEDOM
    AND THANK AN AMERICAN SOLDIER!!! ~~
    ¸.¤·º°´¯ ♥ ¯`°º·¤. ♥♥~♥♥¸.¤·º°´¯ ♥ ¯`°º·¤.
    ¤·º°´¯ ¸.¤·º°´¯ ¸.¤·º°´¯ ♥ ¯`°º·¤. ¸¯`°º·¤. ¸¯`°

At last I am finishing A PRAYER FOR OWEN MEANY by John Irving. Much too long for me.
    I am very excited to start SALEM FALLS by Jodi Picoult. She wrote MY SISTER'S KEEPER, which I can't stop talking about!
    Happy reading and thanks for the suggestions.
    False
    I just found out Nancy Thayer has a new novel called Hot Flash Holidays (or something like that).
    False
    I finished "No Second Chance" and "The Innocent" by Harlan Coben. I thought they were both excellent but felt "The Innocent" was the best book Coben has ever written. I also read "The First Wife' and "The Daughter In-Law" by Diana Diamond and they were both good. Finally, I read "Home to Harmony" by Philip Gulley. What a warm, witty book. I am anxious to read the next 5 books in this Harmony series.
    False
    I got My Sister's Keeper, by Jodi Picoult, at the second hand store yesterday, and, after reading the first few pages, am loving the style, but, I lost a sister to cancer, so I am not too sure my heart will be able to read it. Remember, I cry through everything, so, I am likely to cry for weeks after reading this, if, I do, indeed finish. I wish I could find some of her other books, but, my library has none of them, and I can't afford to buy them full price, especially if they are all going to make me cry like I know this one will.
    KathyLu
    False
    "Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us." Marianne Williamson http://www.wherearethecows.webs.com/
    I love any book by Catherine Coulter. The whole FBI series with Savage and Sherlock are great. My current book is REMEMBER WHEN by Nora Roberts and her alter ego J.D. Robb. I can't give any info as I just started the book. Trying to keep up with my 14 year old and the Harry Potter connection, but still can't follow it.
    False
    I am reading "BLINDSIGHT" by Robin Cook, this is a medical thriller,
    When a series of unrelated deaths by cocaine overdose is reported to the medical Examiner's office, forensic pathologist Dr. Laurie's curiosity is aroused. And when the deceaseds' friends and families uniformly swear tht their loved ones were not involved with drugs, that curiosity intensifies

I have not finished reading it yet
    False
    I just found a new-to-me author -- Cassandra King. The book I'm reading is THE SAME SWEET GIRLS. She also wrote THE SUNDAY WIFE that I think I've seen mentioned on here.

The Same Sweet Girls is about 6 women and their lives. They met in college and have remained friends, having semi-annual get togethers. Their lives take different paths and have various ups and downs.

The book reminds me of the type of book written by Ann Rivers Siddons or Joan Medlicott. Cassandra King is the wife of Pat Conroy. I think you'd all enjoy this and should run right out to the library and get it!
    No, wait -- It's early, so take time to get out of the pajamas and get dressed.
    False
    Good Morning!!!

Kim (zurichnee), I read Killing Her Softly. That was something. It got a little violent for me (some of the things the lover did to her got to me), but my interest was held and I had a few "wow didn't see that coming" moments. Not a book for the everyone, definitely not a GrannyB book. But a good suspense!!

I picked up Three Miss Margarets, thanks to all of you :-)

This week I will be reading (time permitting) Three Miss Margarets and NORTHERN LIGHTS by Nora Roberts. I finally picked that up last week.

happy reading everyone!!!
    dawn
    :-)
    False

"Wow, I really regret that workout"  said Nobody Ever

"...know that I will never love anyone like I love you & I am forever altered by who you are and what you mean to me..."

KathyLu: I don't want to tell you how they book ends, but I've found that with Jodi Picoult's books I have them all figured out and then find out I'm wrong. So hang in there.
    False
    I just finished Kite Runner...can't remember who the author was...but, this book is a GOOD READ! I would recommend this book highly...couldn't put it down...decor

False
    Good morning! This past week, I've been reading the Sisterchicks series by Robin Gunn. My favorite has been "Do the Hula". I'm almost finished with the last book, so next, I'll be starting "Charade" by Gilbert Morris.
    False