Ribs - Boil or Bake before Grilling? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Ribs - Boil or Bake before Grilling?

Last post Aug 06, 2005 6:19 AM by suzycreamcheese_MI . 10 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
  • Ribs - Boil or Bake before Grilling?
    Just curious which way yields the most tender result. How long to cook for each way too? The racks we have are 3+ pounds each. Thanks!

Lisa
    False
  • RE: Ribs - Boil or Bake before Grilling?
    AvidCook's recipe is great~!

Best Ever Ribs

Take a broiler pan and fill the bottom section of the broiler pan about half full of water. On the top section(the part with the slits in it) lay out your ribs. You may add a rub or sauce at this time or leave them plain. Cover the pan with foil and fold edges under to seal in the steam as they cook. Place in oven at 300 degrees for 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Remove foil carefully as steam will be very hot. Now all the grease is down in the bottom pan with the water and the ribs are completely cooked and tender. All you need to do is finish them up on the grill or under the broiler with sauce.
    For grill: place ribs on grill and coat with favorite bbq sauce. Grill on each side just a few minutes until crispy.
    For broiler: add bbq sauce and broil for a few minutes on each side. Watch closely because sugar in the bbq sauce will burn quickly.
    False
    Please don't boil them!

I've made them in dozens of different ways, was never satisfied. I make them slightly different than avidcook, but the theory is the same. Rather than using the water in the pan, I BBQ sauce them and wrap them in foil, two 1/2 racks per package, and bake at 300 for 2.5 hours...then finish on the grill with more BBQ sauce for approx 30 minutes or until sauce is 'sticky' -- if you make them this way they'll be so tender you'll have a hard time keeping them on the bone when you're Q'ing them! LOL.....enjoy!

~~susie.

False

I slow bake mine in the oven the day before. I bake them in a broiler pan covered with foil... drain the liquids as they cook... store in fridge over night and grill them up then add the BBQ sauce on the grill. Ü
    False

Please come visit my blog. http://hdmcfar.blogspot.com/ Christmas countdown banner

April Fools Day countdown banner

ACTUALLY I BAKE THEM. IN A PAN COVERED WITH FOIL. I PUT A DRY RUB ON FIRST, THEN COVER AND BAKE AT 350 FOR APUT 1 - 1 1/2 HRS/ AFTER THAT I PUT ON THE BBQ SAUCE AND GRILL OR BROIL. THEY ARE VERY TASTY AND TENDER
    False
    The last ribs that I made I used the recipe that Cittie posted:
    "Best Ever Ribs" I will never do them any other way, they were just wonderful!!!! Best I have ever had!!
    Denise
    False
    My grill is calling me. I was looking at ribs in the store today. Will try this weekend. Thanks
    Brenda
    False
    Photobucket
    I agree that AvidCook's are GREAT. I was given some baby back ribs (restaurant quality) and they were wonderful everytime we made them. I even fixed the kids something else for supper to make the ribs last longer for DH and myself and company. Than I ran out of them. Boo Hoo!! I bought pork spare ribs, ok but not as good. I can't seem to find any baby back ribs I can afford.

See the one's I used on the 7 or 8 times I made them were all ready for cooking and I didn't have to do anything. So my question to you all is this, What kind of ribs do you use and how do you prepare them? I've seen on TV that they take a membrane off of some kind of ribs. Thanks Susan
    False
    I also use AvidCook's recipe and love the ribs, but tonight we had ribs that my sister-in-law made that had been cooked in beer, then grilled for a few minutes on each side to brown, then she used a combination of grape jelly and Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce and baked them in the oven. Very tasty!! Mary
    False
    Bump:):).
    False

Wattle Paradise

Susan,

I only use baby back ribs, and yes, there IS a membrane that needs to be removed from the backside of the ribs, whether you're making baby backs or spare ribs. Forgot that detail, thanks for reminding me!

~~susie.
    False