Bacon grease cookies | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Bacon grease cookies

Last post Dec 28, 2013 7:35 AM by Appy_Girl . 36 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 2 of 3 (37 items) 123
  • RE: Bacon grease cookies
    MissEllie my step-mother always used bacon grease when she made popcorn. She alway burnt some of the popcorn. Boy it was good. Carol
    False

Carol

Bacon flavored popcorn sounds good to me.

Dawnj I immediately knew this was from the SCC post the other day too. I remember you saying you would look for it.

I guess thats pfeffernuesse. One of my favorite cookies...didn't realize that it had pepper in it. I don't know if I spelled it right either.
    False

Diane

Think I'll obstain. Why?
    Today's bacon is much saltier than REAL SMOKED bacon used to be and I don't think I would want that much salt in my cookies.
    BTW Lard is not salted.I used lard (home rendered) seldom but got away from it competely 0ver 30 yrs ago.
    So I'll pass on those cookies.
    Grelo
    False
    OK - Here's the bacon grease cookie recipe I have:

Gram's Raisin Cookies
    1 cup sugar
    1 cup hot water
    1 cup raisins
    1/2 cup bacon drippings
    1 tsp ground cloves
    1 tsp cinnamon
    2 1/4 cups flour
    1 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp salt

Measure the sugar, water, raisins, bacon drippings, cloves, and cinnamon into a saucepan. Bring to a boil, and boil for 5-10 minutes. Stir in the flour, baking soda & salt. Drop by spoonfulls onto an oiled cookie sheet. Bake at 375 until done.

This is the original recipe as I got it from my mom. She made them alot when we were growing up. I don't make them often because my kids don't like raisins that well. I'm sorry the directions aren't more exact - I suspect Mom got this recipe from her mother who only gave the briefest directions w/her recipes. I usually boil the first part for 7 - 8 minutes.
    Teej
    False
    Thank you Teej. I will make a batch tomorrow and let you know how they pass the DH taste test tomorrow evening.
    Do you think a few pecans in them would be o.k.? He loves nuts.
    I will just do the first pan without and the next with.
    Nancy
    False

Blessed are those that can give without remembering and take without forgetting.

Try these with the bacon grease - just strain it before you use it. I kid you not - these are fantastic!

Swedish Ginger Cookies
    This is a Martha
    Stewart recipe and they are the best ginger cookies I have ever tasted. The bacon grease - strain it first - adds a smoky taste and they are wonderful!

Swedish Ginger Cookies

1/2 cup strained bacon fat
    1 cup sugar (gran.) plus more for rolling
    4 Tbs. dark molasses
    1 large egg
    2 cups plain flour
    3/4 tsp. salt
    2 tsps. baking soda
    1 tsp. groung ginger
    1 tsp. ground cloves
    1 tsp. cinnamon
    heat oven to 350 degrees. In bowl of electric mixer, cream together bacon fat and sugar. Beat in molasses and egg. Add remaining ingredients and combine thoroughly.
    Shape dough into walnut-size balls, roll in sugar, and flatten with fingers on ungreased baking sheets. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until coookies are golden brown and cracked on top. Let cool on wire racks. Store in airtight container.
    I love these!!!!
    Tria
    False
    Tria
    Just had a thought (don't get them too often, so I must share when one 'hits')

If a person's bacon is on the 'salty-side' ... couldn't we still make the cookies but use less or no-added salt?

This recipe is so tempting, I guess I will have to copy it, make it, test it on the grandchildren, but not tell them how they are made and see what they say . . . end of thought.
    Eileen
    False
    I don't remember ever cooking bacon, so I have no grease or drippings. I wanted to get a gas grill, but my neighbors got up a petiton prohibiting me from it. "She's blow us all to Kingdom Come" thay said. I did chuckle several times while reading this post.
    DawnJ, I don't think anyone thought you were faking them out. It was the twist of the recipe.
    Lynn in Cabot
    False
    Eileen39_wa,

The name you are thinking of is Pfeffernüsse or Pepper Nuts
    I have a recipe for those in one of my German cook books.
    Just thought you might be interested to know the name.
    Germanlady
    False
    Nothing of value in life comes effortlessly.
    I'm going to try these because I love bacon and I'll bet these are delicious! I have used bacon grease to pop corn in forever and it's the best!!

Thanks for posting the recipe and I'll let you know after I try them!

pegg
    False
    dawnj nobody thinks you are feeding them a line. Bacon grease used to be the staple in everyone's house. I might not make these tomorrow but I will make them. Thanks for the post.
    BJ
    False

Find more about Weather in New Bedford, MA

bump
    False

Find more about Weather in New Bedford, MA

You're welcome BJ.
    And like I said. Its a strange combination but they are good.
    If you like molasses cookies you will probably like them.
    Mimi,no problem. I shouldn't have gotten so defensive.
    Hey I am not the best cook in the world so I guess ya never know what I'll come up with.
    dawnj
    False
    False
    I have a recipe (Martha Stewart's) for Gingersnaps using "strained" baking grease. They are the best I've ever tasted. They are posted on my favorites.

Tria
    False
    Tria