What's the best way to cook meatballs? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

What's the best way to cook meatballs?

Last post Aug 06, 2005 1:05 PM by TexasroseII . 11 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
  • What's the best way to cook meatballs?
    I have a great recipe for meatball mixture, but am wondering what's the best way to cook them - fry in a pan, bake on a cookie sheet, or drop raw meatballs into sauce & let simmer for a while? I am wary that my sauce won't get hot enough to cook the meat all the way through.
    Any experiences??
    Thanks,
    C4B
    False
  • RE: What's the best way to cook meatballs?
    Bake them
    False
    In loving memory of Suzy
    bake them.

In the winter time I fix meatball stew alot.

I'll make up anywhere from 350-500 meatballs and bake them. Then pkg. them in the size I need for the recipe.

Baking is the only way to go.
    False
    I brown them first in a skillet and then transfer them to the oven in a baking dish @ 350*. I like to first have that nice brown coating on them and it helps seal in all those wonderful juices.

Cookiedough
    False
    Thank you all for the quick replies!
    How long should they bake at 350?
    1/2 hour? longer?

Thanks again -
    (a Nonna-Wannabe) C4B
    False
    Depending on the size I usually bake them for 45 minutes to 1 hour.

Cookiedough
    False
    In a crockpot. I just dump frozen ones in and cover with my favourite BBQ sauce - Diana Honey Garlic (1 jar). Stephanie
    False
    I do the raw!
    Start early, then simmer they come out nice, not hard from frying.
    The only thing to remember is do not stir
    False
    I usually bake on my broiler pan or cookie sheet with rack so that any of the fat from the meat drains off.
    If using them in a sauce I cook until brown on the outside and then finish off in the sauce.

Nancy

False

Blessed are those that can give without remembering and take without forgetting.

I bake mine on a foil-lined cookie sheet at 400º for about 15 minutes. The amount of time you bake them depends on the size of the meatballs. They form a nice brown crispy outside and are tender inside with this higher temp.
    False
    ditto to tango7. Putting them in the sauce uncooked makes them so nice and tender. This is how my best friend's Italian grandma taught me!
    False
    I used to bake them. Now, I put them in the bottom of my big crockpot so they are not touching. I set it on high and in about an hour they are set enough to turn if you want -- not need to though. I finish them on on low setting for a couple more hours, drain off the grease and pour on my sauce. Very easy and the kitchen doesn't get hot.
    False