Ricotta Cheese expired on June 17, is it still okay? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Ricotta Cheese expired on June 17, is it still okay?

Last post Aug 08, 2005 4:03 AM by Gally . 8 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
  • Ricotta Cheese expired on June 17, is it still okay?
    It smells fine. It was a bit watery on top, so I just poured that off. Don't want to make everyone sick by using it! LOL
    False

• RE: Ricotta Cheese expired on June 17, is it still okay?
    When in doubt, throw it out.

I hate wasting things, too, but with it being a moist dairy product, I wouldn't use it. If it was a hard cheese, I'd have a different opinion.
    False
    I have used ricotta past due but I don't think it was that far past. I think I would rather be safe than sorry. I agree with Gally - throw it out. The way I look at it is if it is bad you will waste more money than just the ricotta because you will waste the other ingredients it took to make the recipe.

Sue
    False
    Yes you are correct Gally. And I do usually adhere by that rule LOL. Just that it's raining and I didn't want to have to get out in it AND I spent $100 at the grocery store yesterday! LOL
    Thanks for your help!
    False

Thanks gavingrma. You have a very valid point LOL
    False

I am probably the only one who will say this, but I'd use it, provided your refrigerator has held the cold temp. up to now. I agree that some dairy products would be questionable, but very occasionally I've used similar products like cottage cheese and sour cream that are out of date. I'd go with what the majority of the great cooks here tell you... or just go buy another container of ricotta and toss the old one so you don't have to worry.
    False
    I would tend to agree with the others and not use the outdated ricotta, just in case....Have you ever thought of making your own ricotta? We do it all the time; it's easy and so much better than the kind you buy in a plastic container. If you are interested I will post the recipe.
    Anne
    False
    Mimosa! Please post the recipe for your homemade ricotta cheese! I would LOVE to make my own!
    False
    If I was making it just for myself, I would probably use it. I have used way outdated buttermilk as sour products often make for better baking.

Yes, Mimosa! Please share!
    False