Easy recipe that feeds a lot of people! | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Easy recipe that feeds a lot of people!

Last post Jul 26, 2006 10:16 PM by orcasislandmama . 19 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 12
  • Easy recipe that feeds a lot of people!

Hi All....

I'm attending a wedding (outdoor) in two weeks and the bride/groom have decided to have it be a pot luck type of wedding instead of it being catered. Since my mom and I are best friends of the bride, we offered to bring several dishes. Does anyone out there have an easy recipe that goes a long way? The town where the wedding is being held is about 80 miles from my home, on the eastern side of the state, so we will have to travel. Also, it is at a cabin with very limited cooking space. Does anyone have any suggestions? She is expecting 250 or more people there. Any tasty recipes and/or thoughts are appreciated!!! You can post on the bulletin board or send any recipes to my email address. Thank you in advance for your help!
    False
  • RE: Easy recipe that feeds a lot of people!
    Bump
    False
    Cittie posted it & it got good reviews, looks pretty in a see-thru bowl...

Cornbread Salad

1 (1 oz) pkg ranch dry salad dressing mix
    1 1/2 c sour cream
    1 1/2 c mayonnaise
    1 (9" pan) cornbread, crumbled
    2 (16 oz) cans pinto beans, drained
    3 large tomatoes, chopped
    1 c chopped green peppers
    1 c green onions
    2 c shredded cheddar cheese
    10 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
    2 (11 oz) cans whole kernel golden sweet corn, drained

Combine salad dressing mix, sour cream and mayo. Set aside. Place half of the crumbled cornbread in the bottom of a large serving dish(3 qt oval covered dish) Top with half of beans. Combine tomatoes, pepper, onions. Layer half of this mixture over the beans. Layer half of cheese, bacon, corn and reserved salad dressing mixture. Repeat layers using remaining ingredients. Garnish as desired. Cover and chill 2-3 hours before serving. Serves 10-12.

False
    Oh my! 250! My goodness.

Just me... but you're going to have to keep it simple to feed so many.

I'd say -- since you going to be rural -- to go for a barbecue type thing.

I bumped a thread for a crowd.

Here's one idea...

Posted by: Redraspberrygirl Posted on: 12/19/2004 2:43:42 PM
    #R4894565
    Baby-Ques

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 54 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : COOKING FOR A CROWD/POTLUCK Sandwiches

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    14 pounds ground beef
    1 (50-ounce) can condensed tomato soup -- undiluted
    2 (14-1/2-ounce) cans diced tomatoes -- undrained
    2 1/2 cups barbecue sauce
    3/4 cup grape jelly
    2 tablespoons each garlic powder, onion powder and chili powder
    2 teaspoons pepper
    1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
    4 1/2 to 5-1/2 dozen sandwich buns -- split

In two large Dutch ovens or soup kettles, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Combine the tomato soup, tomatoes, barbecue sauce, jelly, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, pepper and mustard; stir half into each pan. Cook over medium heat for 15 minutes or until thickened and heated through. Serve on buns.

Source:
    "Taste of Home (April/May 2004)"
    S(Formatted by):
    "Moonchild2488"
    Copyright:
    "2004 Reiman Media Group, Inc."

Since it's going to be potluck, just bring something major -- meat and fixings and let the rest fill in any gaps.

False
    What about plates of cookies, with that many people, they should go fast.

Bags of potatoe chips and a few dips you can make at home and then just unwrap.

Veggie platter.

I'd also stock extra paper plates, napkins, paper towels, plastic utensils, cups in case they run out. An ice chest in the trunk/back seat with extra sodas/beer.

Cardboard boxes work wonderfully if you don't have alot of coolers to put your food in. The veggie platter/dips would keep in ice cooler or air-conditioned back seat.
    False
    HERE IS A RECIPE FOR A PASTA SALAD THAT I POSTED AWHILE BACK. It is one I made up for my kids who don't like veggies.
    Posted by: TamaraLynn Posted on: 5/1/2005 8:40:15 PM
    #R5646883
    Here is a recipe that I made up-my kids don't like alot of veggies. Makes alot.
    Chris' Favorite Pasta Salad
    3 lb elbow macaroni
    2 1/2 lb cubed cheddar cheese
    1 jar- 8 oz- sweet dill relish
    2 stalks celery, chopped
    1 qt Miracle Whip
    Boil pasta and drain. Add remaining ingredients and chill. May add a little more dressing if salad seems dry.
    * I'm guessing this would serve maybe 50.
    False
    I am still a big fan of LindaChicken's BBQ...made in the crock pot and sooooo easy. Just add rolls and you've got a great sandwich!! Double the amounts and have 3-4 crock pots going....This stuff is awesome!!

Barbequed Chicken Sandwiches

1-2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts
    1 18 oz. jar of your favorite bbq sauce
    1 med. sweet onion, sliced
    4-6 hamburger buns

Remove all visible fat from chicken and throw it in the crockpot. Place onion slices on top. Pour bbq sauce on top, just enough to cover the chicken. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or until chicken is tender. Shred the chicken with a knife and fork, stir, and put a spoonful on each bun.

LC added a note that said that she sprinkled the chicken with garlic salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper and added a few dashes of hot sauce along with a few diced green chiles to the bbq sauce.

Hope this helps!!
    Linda
    False
    Linda
    http://www.cmomb.com/articles/recipes.shtml
    False
    In loving memory of Suzy
    Strawberry Blossoms ( i will also post the web site so you can see the picture of these,very cute)

12 large, fresh strawberries, washed
    3 oz cream cheese, softened
    2 T confectioner's sugar
    1 T sour cream

fresh mint leaves for garnish (optional)

Remove stems from strawberries to form a flat base. Place berries on cutting surface, pointed end facing up. With a sharp knife, carefully slice each berry in half vertically to within a 1/4 inch of base. Cut each half into three wedges to form 6 petals. (Don't slice through the base.) Pull petals apart slightly.

In a small bowl, combine cream cheese, powdered sugar and sour cream; beat until light and fluffy. With a pastry bag and star tip or small spoon, fill strawberries with cream cheese mixture.

Notes & Options:
    A plastic zipper sandwich bag can be used instead of a pastry bag by filling with cream cheese mixture and squeezing out excess air before sealing. Carefully cut one corner off of the bottom of the bag and squeeze mixture out through the cut.

For added sweetness, you can use strawberry flavored cream cheese instead of plain.

False
    In loving memory of Suzy
    here's the web site with the picture of the recipe i just posted.

http://www.fabulousfoods.com/recipes/dessert/fruit/strawblossoms.html
    False
    In loving memory of Suzy
    Best of luck, jamielea!
    The BabyQues sound good provided you'll have the facilities to make them.
    You may want to take you own or a couple borrowed LP gas cook (camping type) stoves.
    Baked beans are very "forgiving" and always popular. You can take all the ingredients and "throw together" gallons on the spot.
    Finally, consider taking tons of boiled potatoes and a cooler full of fixin's for potato salad - would need no cooking or kitchen space. Linda
    False
    How about a taco bar? We were at a wedding reception where that is what they served...it was neat!
    False
    Would you be interested in crockpot recipes, where all you do is plug them in? I don't have any large recipes, but you could double/triple/ect them.
    Jill
    False
    This salad would be easy to prepare ahead.

Sunflower Slaw (TOH 2000 annual cookbook)

6 pkgs (3 oz each) ramen noodles
    2 pkgs (2 1/4 oz each) slivered almonds
    1 1/3 c sunflower kernels
    1/2 c butter, melted
    3 1/2 c vegetable oil
    2 c vinegar
    2 c sugar
    1/2 c soy sauce
    2 tsp salt
    10 lbs cabbage, shredded

Break noodles into small pieces (save seasoning mix for another use). Place noodles, almonds, & sunflower kernels in 15 x 10 baking pan. Drizzle w/ butter; mix well. Bake at 350 degrees for 8 - 10 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring several times; set aside. Combine oil, vinegar, sugar, soy sauce, & salt; toss w/ cabbage. cover & refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Stir in noodle mixture just before serving. Serve w/ a slotted spoon.

False

Chinese Wonder Salad
    Posted by: TriainAtlanta Replies: 19 Posted on: 4/16/2003 10:09:35 PM
    #T167966
    If you like to open cans and have a wonderful side dish that feeds a lot and keeps well, try this:

Chinese Wonder Salad

Dressing: 1 cup sugar, 3/4 cup wine vinegar; 1/2 tsp. soy sauce or Tempura sauce. Mix well and set aside.

1 can LeSeur Peas, drained
    1 can whole corn, drained
    1 can Fancy Chinese vegetables, drained and rinsed
    1 small jar pimento pieces
    1 can French cut beans, drained
    1 small jar sliced mushrooms
    1 can water chestnuts, sliced and drained
    1 Vidalia (or sweet) onion sliced in rings or slivers
    1 cup diagonally sliced celery
    (you can add a little sliced green or red pepper for variety, if desired, but it is very good without it)

Toss drained vegetables with dressing and refrigerate several hours.

Keeps well, makes a lot and it is a great side dish!
    Tria

I have made this several times and it is easy, delicious, and feeds lots of people. I could not find Le Seur peas, but they are tiny new peas. The Chinese vegetables are found in the area where other Chinese foods are found. I got them at Safeway.
    Margielou

False